↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Series 1 project (Project Womble)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
Series 1 project (Project Womble)
Hi all,
With the 110 tucked away I have started on a Series 1 project that I have been meaning to get on with for quite a few years. As a bit of a record and motivation for myself I thought I’d start a thread on here. It didn’t look too bad to start with but was basically a pile of body panels hung on a half rotten chassis. Around half the bits were in the back in boxes and the rest need to be sourced. The story goes that the guy who took it apart used to disappear into his shed of an evening accompanied by a few beers and couldn’t remember how it went back together!

This is how it looked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Picture showing the rot to the chassis....

Click image to enlarge

I think the condition of the speedo sums up how much work I’ve got ahead of me

Click image to enlarge

The more I look into it the more work i can see it needs

Last edited by v8bobber on 30th Apr 2019 2:00pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #770731 29th Apr 2019 6:58pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Hi
That's a good project. When I did my S1 I had a plan which I have used before which kept me motivated. As I removed an item I refurbished it before moving to the next item I then wrapped and put them aside for later. The main advantage was orderly storage (a land rover in parts takes up several time more space !) and a fast build up. Everything going the other way is clean tidy and you can see it coming together quickly. That said it took over a year to strip clean refurbish all the parts needed before it went back together.

Keep sharing photo's as you go..... Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #770741 29th Apr 2019 7:28pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
She looks lovely and imagine the end vehicle will be stunning! Good luck and please keep us posted. Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #770758 29th Apr 2019 8:19pm
v8bobber

I’ve done some restoration work before, on a previous 86” I had. It turned into a bit of a trailer queen and wasn’t getting used. I think about 500 miles in 5 years which was shocking - so it went to someone who will use it.

The aim of this one is to have something I’m not too precious about, don’t mind taking to work or chucking stuff in the back to take to the tip, and if it picks up the odd dent on the way then so be it. I know it’s possible to spend a fortune on Series one parts and want to avoid that trap if I can. I’ve been lucky so far in that I have either found the bits I need knocking around in the back or in my spares, such as the starter motor I’ve been using to keep a cupboard door shut for about 5 years. I might even call it project Womble!! Smile

Playing bit of catch up with the photos at the moment but the first problem I had (well after having a seized starter motor) was absolutely zero compression on cylinder number 2. Which turned out to be this....

Click image to enlarge

Namely an exhaust valve which was stuck open. A quick tap with a block of wood had it seated again, head back on and the compressions are all even now, even if they are a bit low. I think a bit of use will do it the world of good, assuming that I can get it running, which brings me on to the next part, the ignition - basically there isn’t one. All the loom has been cut out so I’ve made an ignition loom to see if there’s a spark

Click image to enlarge

The link wire in the distributor is broken so I’ll need to solder than before I can do anymore. If I can get a spark I’ll be happy so I can get on with bringing the carb back from the dead!
Post #770786 29th Apr 2019 10:25pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
A Series 1 makes a nice project I have done several over the years. To be honest while the head was off it might have been worth cleaning up the valves and grinding them in and making sure the exhaust valve seats weren’t cracked, also putting in new oil seals in the inlet valves, non of which costs much money. Good luck with the project though, will follow with interest, as I’m currently recommissioning a 1953 80in.[/i]
Post #770822 30th Apr 2019 9:55am
v8bobber

Yes you’re right in what you’re saying but I didn’t see the point in going to those lengths if there was still no compression in cylinder 2. The head only takes 20 mins or so to put on.

The plan is that if it runs alright (or at all) I will take the head back off and run through everything with new gaskets, do the valves etc. I’m still not convinced that this will be a runner in its current format. Unfortunately engine parts for these are getting expensive and I was to be sure it’s a useable unit if the money can be spent elsewhere
Post #770881 30th Apr 2019 2:11pm
v8bobber

Work has got in the way of getting on with much, and this has been further hampered by getting sent some poor parts. This set of points looked like they’d started life in a Kinder egg (the surprise part being the were crap and didn’t work!)

Click image to enlarge

The lack of spark however was eventually traced to a dodgy condenser and to cut a long story short....it runs!......even if it’s only for 5 seconds or so at a time. Hopefully once I source a reliable fuel supply for it, and an exhaust system that goes on for more than 6 inches!

Now I know it’s a runner I can order a new head gasket set and tidy up the engine before doing a bit on the chassis.....
Post #773314 16th May 2019 3:54am
v8bobber

While I’m still in the middle of sorting engine bits out, I thought I’d have a look at the chassis. Unfortunately I looked at this bit and could see straight through it!.....

Click image to enlarge

And didn’t look much better from underneath..

Click image to enlarge

After cutting a fair bit of the metal away I found the remains of a mouse / rats nest. I think that the nest has held moisture and after being sat for many years has caused the rot. It also looks like whatever has been in there has had a bit of a nibble of the wiring

Click image to enlarge
Post #773466 16th May 2019 10:57pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Never under estimate the damage rodents can do Rolling Eyes

Looks like you've got yourself a good project there. Watching with interest Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #773500 17th May 2019 8:32am
v8bobber

Have managed to chip away in workshop although my actual job is annoyingly getting in the way...

After the minor success of getting the engine running I’ve had the head back off and put a new head gasket on with a new head to thermostat O-ring and copper pipe.

Click image to enlarge

It’s worth mentioning that I had a load of bits from Dingocroft which I’ve never used before and they were really good. They had all the little odds and ends in stock that I needed, and with quick delivery.

The carb turned out to be a bit of a pain as there was no mechanism for the accelerator pump on the one that was on the engine so I’ve made one out of two. Quite how this ran properly before is beyond me as the pump mechanism was there but the rod assembly on the main body was missing. I’ve got a complete carb now anyway with all the bits where they should be.

I’ve put new plugs in and generally tidied the engine bay up and it’s looking a lot better now, it’s easy to over restore things and that’s not what I’m going for, just tidy and useable.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’ve found an old, slightly tatty exhaust in the rear tub so my job for the day is to see if I can salvage that. I’m trying not to wander too far from the “Womble” ethos

Dave
Post #776366 6th Jun 2019 10:11am
L110CDL

England 
Doing a good job there and with the womble ethos Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #776562 7th Jun 2019 8:33pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Dingo Croft are very good, can be a tad pricey but customer service and delivery are excellent. Dunsfold and Blanchard also are very good for parts with quick delivery and first class customer service, especially Dunsfold.
Post #776598 7th Jun 2019 10:14pm
v8bobber

Back in work this week unfortunately but did manage to bring the exhaust back from the dead....

Click image to enlarge

Turned out alright didn’t it.

When I find time this week it’ll be a case of rigging up a fuel pump, and ignition system again to see if it’ll run for any length of time. Back to a bit of welding then as I’ve been putting it off
Post #776935 10th Jun 2019 7:11pm
v8bobber

Good as the exhaust looked when I tried to fit it I found out it was off a series 2!

Thankfully a friend had a spare one lying around so that was put on.

I’m glad I took the time to take the head off and concentrate on getting things right there as with the exhaust fitted it pretty much fired up straight away...

Post #783096 25th Jul 2019 6:16pm
L110CDL

England 
Sounds sweet Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #783119 25th Jul 2019 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1