↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2.2 (2014) intercooler silicone hoses, fitting query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
2.2 (2014) intercooler silicone hoses, fitting query
Having just fitted my new BAS intercooler and silicone hoses, please can anyone tell me a couple of things:

1. Do I need to re-fit the coiled steel hose protector from the right hand (sitting in the cab) hose? I assumed not as the new hose is a larger outside diameter, but I'd hate to leave it off and have problems in future.

2. It was impossible to refit the clamp that held the original right hand hose to the alternator as it squashed the new hose. Is it actually necessary now, and if not, should I also remove the fixed bracket it attaches to from the alternator?

3. Why was it bright sunshine when I started and then heavy rain once I'd reached the point where it was too late to put it back to standard...?!

Thanks for any help.
Post #772651 11th May 2019 6:08pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
1. No need to put the steel protector back. Just make sure the hose is pushed on the intercooler as far as possible. You will then have enough clearance from the bracket the airbox sits on.

2. I don’t think you mean alternator Wink but you can get the clamp back on, it’s a bit of a pain but not impossible.

3. God hates you?
Post #772706 11th May 2019 9:55pm
Joe the Plumber

Thanks for this. I do mean the alternator though. There's a bracket and clamp assembly that held the old hose to the side of it to stop chafing. I think it was a factory mod from around 2014, but there's no way the clamp will go back without crushing the new hose.

I'm sure God loves me a bit as he kept it dry when I did the elbow hose on the left hand side last weekend, which is the hardest bit of the whole job!
Post #772717 12th May 2019 6:15am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I’m very sorry to seriously thought you meant connecting the hose itself to an alternator! Laughing
Post #772731 12th May 2019 7:57am
Joe the Plumber

Ha ha, that was my poor phrasing, sorry about that!

I've just refitted the alternator to hose bracket and had better update this as you definitely DO need to put it back. It doesn't distort the hose very much but it does stop the steering linkage rubbing on it, which of course is why Land Rover fitted it in the first place.

It's not too bad to do the bottom nut up on the bracket with a 10mm ratcheting spanner by putting your hand through the largest gap in the fan (there is one gap bigger than the rest if you look hard).

It's worth noting that for RHD vehicles, Pete's instructions tell you to remove 15-20 mm from the turbo end of the hose (I used a new blade in a Stanley knife - dead easy), and this is essential as it also contributes to it clearing the steering linkage.
Post #772745 12th May 2019 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1