↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Electric vehicles - saving the planet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Electric vehicles - saving the planet?
Maybe not entirely relevant to the Defender range just now - but an interesting read.
I'm not too sure if the numbers really stack up but if they're even anywhere near, it all adds up to a big scam.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-21/...iesel-cars
Post #769702 23rd Apr 2019 12:57pm
htb2

Scotland 
Nothing new in the automotive industry
Post #769707 23rd Apr 2019 1:37pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Of course not! Cheers Don.
Post #771175 2nd May 2019 10:23am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
thank goodness we have amazing people running our country and if they fail the back up is right there Rolling with laughter
Post #771183 2nd May 2019 10:49am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I think that’s not the point. Off course electric cars are more polluting for the moment but it needs a lot of research. And research Will be done if it’s a million billion industry.

Ie batteries Will have to improve not by a factor of 10 Or even 100 but by a million times. And even batteries might not be the way to Go. But first you’ll need enough people (incentive) to commit to the rearch. So let the governments subsidise electric cars, let tesla’s Be bought by the thousands so the research Will be done. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #771186 2nd May 2019 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Personally, I believe that anything we do in this country will have virtually no effect on Co2 emissions in global terms, while there are massive cargo ships out there using their fuel in tonnes per mile, the skies full of aircraft using vast amounts of jet fuel, old fashioned power stations around the world and de-forestation plus course natural influences like volcanic eruptions.

It's just another way for governments to turn on the guilt and persuade us to pay even more taxes if we don't conform to all the eco hype.
Post #771197 2nd May 2019 11:32am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
It's no surprise to read that report goes against the findings of another report.
It's not a massively complicated subject, but complicated enough to be able to skew the argument either way, depending on your agenda.
You can read about the debunking of that report here: https://jalopnik.com/enough-with-the-actua...1834338565

My take on it is that even if the current overall lifetime CO2 outputs of either are at best, similar - if you live next to a busy street, or you are stuck in heavy traffic etc., which type of vehicles would you rather be surrounded by?
And at my kids primary school, the amount of a-holes sat in their cars next to the playground playing on their phones with their engines idling for no apparent reason, whilst waiting for their kid to show up only enforces the fact that zero-emission at street-level is going to be a very good thing.

Cargo ships & flying also need to be addressed, along with many many other issues, but I can't think why this small start to reduce fossil fuel consumption is anything but a positive.
And what do we say about death & taxation?
Post #771199 2nd May 2019 11:45am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Clive wrote:
Personally, I believe that anything we do in this country will have virtually no effect on Co2 emissions in global terms, while there are massive cargo ships out there using their fuel in tonnes per mile, the skies full of aircraft using vast amounts of jet fuel, old fashioned power stations around the world and de-forestation plus course natural influences like volcanic eruptions.

It's just another way for governments to turn on the guilt and persuade us to pay even more taxes if we don't conform to all the eco hype.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder what the global impact would be if the whole of the UK went 100% green tomorrow.
Post #771201 2nd May 2019 12:10pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If we went totally green tomorrow, we would probably starve.

We produce so little in this country compared to what we consume. It all comes (as said previously) on dirty great ships which burn heavy oil or, the inconvenient truth, a lot of our food is flown in. Almost everything we consume is delivered by truck.

I did smile when I saw all the climate protesters in London wondering how many had flown somewhere in the last 12 months, or upgraded their mobile phone to the latest model, not because it was broken but because they could. Probably a high proportion.

Saying all of the above, we do need to clean our act up and realise that the earth's resources are finite. In the western world we have an economy which is based on consumerism and that is not sustainable at all.
Post #771202 2nd May 2019 12:35pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
If we wait for the governments to act (Brexit Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ) it could take a lot of time.

But there are some encouraging signs. A lot of people are more aware but the big steps are taken by some companies for the moment. Ie apple which operates completely on solar power. They introduced it also in China and India the follow up effect is that the suppliers of apple also start to use solar power. So even in china and india they have started.

Agreed we are nowhere there yet but it's starting and if everybody would do his/hers (very) small part it would add up very soon.

So for the moment I'am putting my hope in the Apples of this world and the people who are aware and acting and definitely not in governments. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #771204 2nd May 2019 12:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Personally I will only ever begin to feel that there is any hope for the future if or when the human race as a whole accepts that there is a need to moderate the human population.

If the human race cannot see that uninhibited population increase can only result in the annihilation of (at a minimum) the human race itself, then it is doomed. As for saving the planet, the planet will be just fine for millions of years after humans have gone.

Too many people driving electric cars will have just as great an environment-changing effect as too many people driving diesel cars. The problem is not so much what people are doing, as the numbers of people doing it.

Sadly I think that the very essence of human nature means that the degree of global, international, interracial, and inter-religional co-operation required for any long term sustainable future means that it is highly unlikely that it will ever happen. I think it is quite possible that within the next three or four generations there will be some form of mass extinction event, either man-made or natural, and I am glad that I will not be around to see it.

On which cheerful note.....
Post #771215 2nd May 2019 1:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
CO2 emissions are a global problem not a UK problem.

Now lets just say that the UK manages to reduce its CO2 emissions to zero by 2025 as demanded by recent protests in London.

The global effect of that? Err just a little bit above zero!

Now the UK is responsible for 1% of global CO2 emissions.

China is responsible for 28%

USA is responsible for 15% and their president does not believe in climate change

India is responsible for 6%

Russia is responsible for 5%

Figures from here

China is currently building 259 gigawatts of coal fire power station with a total output of about 1300 gigawatts

UK total power is about 34 gigawatts to put things in perspective.

Now it is a global problem so needs tackling on a global scale. So can we see the London protestors bringing Beijing, Washington, Delhi and Moscow to a grinding halt?

To combat climate change then it has to be done on a global scale. I wonder if the Chinese, American and Indian police would be so tolerant as the London police!

Brendan
Post #771219 2nd May 2019 2:08pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Ads90 wrote:
It's no surprise to read that report goes against the findings of another report.
It's not a massively complicated subject, but complicated enough to be able to skew the argument either way, depending on your agenda.
You can read about the debunking of that report here: https://jalopnik.com/enough-with-the-actua...1834338565

My take on it is that even if the current overall lifetime CO2 outputs of either are at best, similar - if you live next to a busy street, or you are stuck in heavy traffic etc., which type of vehicles would you rather be surrounded by?
And at my kids primary school, the amount of a-holes sat in their cars next to the playground playing on their phones with their engines idling for no apparent reason, whilst waiting for their kid to show up only enforces the fact that zero-emission at street-level is going to be a very good thing.

Cargo ships & flying also need to be addressed, along with many many other issues, but I can't think why this small start to reduce fossil fuel consumption is anything but a positive.
And what do we say about death & taxation?

Good post.
Post #771224 2nd May 2019 3:09pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Only when world stops burning coal to produce electricity, would i even consider an electric car,

Cutting carbon to net zero is simply another tax on the wealthy countries WHY because they can use climate change as an excuse so its ok. My boiler is perfectly fine and probably will be for another 10 years, yes its 10 years old, but the figures just dont add up. There are no grants available unless u earn less than 20k or are on benefits. Why should we the UK pay to be an example for the other countries who are still building coal fired power stations.

ULEZ is another example of stealth taxation, has the congestion charge stopped pollution or congestion? NO So why do they think ULEZ will pollution is air bourne after all and it simply kicks the problem down the road.

I agree carbon is an issue but until the likes of China Russia and USA make a proper start there is little or no point. Admittadly China accepts there is a problem, but with 1.1bn people they need to do more than just talk about it.

Rant over, im gonna go for a drive, light footed of course!
Post #771230 2nd May 2019 3:40pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
Personally I will only ever begin to feel that there is any hope for the future if or when the human race as a whole accepts that there is a need to moderate the human population.
If the human race cannot see that uninhibited population increase can only result in the annihilation of (at a minimum) the human race itself, then it is doomed.

Out of all the comments made here in this topic, yours are hitting the nail on the head. Global population growing out of control, a touchy subject, many know, but are afraid to openly say so. It is the core of the problem.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #771237 2nd May 2019 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top