↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Electric vehicles - saving the planet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
blackwolf wrote:
I reckon the biggest contribution we can make is not to have children! The carbon footprint of an offspring must be considerable. Rolling with laughter

And don't forget, not the hole in the ozone layer but the huge hole they leave in your pockets Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #771401 3rd May 2019 8:38pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
Zed wrote:
Air source was quite pricey but we did install more panels, underfloor heating and other stuff at the same time. Our pump is a Mitsibushi. The unit is a box with a fan outside the house. It looks like an aircon unit. We don't notice it at all.

If you can I'd definitely recommend it.

The Mitsubishi Electric Ecodan is a cracking bit of kit. If you have enough space and your house points the right way, a few PV Panels and one of these and your laughing. They work best on underfloor heating, but it is possible to use them with radiators.

The new units are quieter than ever. Some people don’t like the look of them, but I personally don’t think they are any worse than a boiler.

I think we may well end up with one, one day. Until then, my oil boiler fights another day.

By the way, I don’t work for or have anything to do with Mitsubishi. I just think they are a great bit of kit.

Yeah that's the model. We have underfloor heating downstairs and a mixture of underfloor and radiators upstairs. It's an old house so there was a bit of work involved but not as much as I expected. My only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.
Post #771404 3rd May 2019 8:52pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The push will be first in London where the environmental controls are higher. Larger units than you have Zed can feed blocks of flats. Each flat has a heat interface unit (looks like a boiler, acts like a boiler, but no fuel or ignition) where the heat and hot water is balanced and distributed. This is also where the heat will be metered. Very clever stuff. The technology has been around for quite a few years it’s just now it is becoming popular due to the environmental building regulations in London which are different to the rest of the UK.

There has been a bit of a push to fit Combined Heat and Power units (CHP). These are essentially a small car engine which runs on gas or another fuel (I have seen one which runs on rape seed oil) and this generates electricity and heat for a building. They are generally unliked as they have to be regularly serviced. The idea is this is it runs at a constant speed and is more efficient to run than the losses encountered by power stations and overhead cable distribution network (these losses are quite high). But in most cases, they run of gas which is still a fossil fuel.
Post #771408 3rd May 2019 9:14pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Interesting stuff.

I read about a local farm running CHP or something similar. They use the waste CO2 for their greenhouses. It's all very clever.
Post #771480 4th May 2019 11:21am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Whissington Sugar beet factory in Norfolk was funnelling their CO2 into adjacent greenhouses to grow tomatoes.

There re so many good ideas out there. Unfortunately Govenment legislation usually stifles many of these and snuffs them out before they can be developed.

CHP looks as if it will no longer be accepted, Biomass Boilers have had their day and you would probably be surprised if you realised the buildings where this technology was installed to get it through planning, then never used (relying on their gas boilers). I was told of a building in central London owned by the daughter of a famous millionaire where photo voltaic panels were installed on the roof to get the building through planning, and never connected.

No one ever goes back to check.

Just look at the advice from our own Government about Buying diesels? Misguided knee jerk reactions whereas we should be embracing the ideas which are already out there.
Post #771489 4th May 2019 12:01pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
dorsetsmith wrote:
not that meany

Click image to enlarge

I think someone has been selective as to which power station they list.

The Wilton power station which shut down 25 years ago along with the one at I.C.I. Billingham after being converted to Natural gas in the 1960's The new Wilton power station is a Biomass fed station and a separate one is or planned to burn thousands of tonnes of house hold waste from either Manchester or Liverpool.

The Wilton I.C.I. station produced enough power to supply not only the site but the local steel works and the town of Redcar. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #771497 4th May 2019 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123