Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Two Wheel Drive Transfer Box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Two Wheel Drive Transfer Box
Just thinking out loud really

Are there any 2wd transfer boxes out there that are straight fit, plug and play with a Puma?
Years back I had a company Ford Ranger with switchable 2wd / 4wd transfer box, this was based on the TDCi engine though not sure on gearbox.

Wondering whether switchable 2wd for road driving as per earlier Defenders would provide improved fuel economy > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #756435 5th Feb 2019 7:22am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Ashcrofts do a kit to convert an LT230 to that arrangement I believe.
Post #756436 5th Feb 2019 7:39am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am fairly sure that any savings in fuel would be obliterated by the increase in driveline repair costs.

The rear end in only just strong enough with a 50:50 front/rear split.
Post #756442 5th Feb 2019 8:53am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Syncro Gearboxes do a 2wd/4wd selectable mod for the Tx boxes

https://www.syncrogearboxes.com/research-d...3737242_o/ Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent

Last edited by bankz5152 on 5th Feb 2019 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #756453 5th Feb 2019 9:27am
Litch

England 
"Wondering whether switchable 2wd for road driving as per earlier Defenders would provide improved fuel economy"

Was never an option on the Defender.
It was the standard set-up on S1, 11 & 111 (Stage-1 excluded) and even some of the very earliest One Ten's (with 2,25) were offered with this option but that is as far as it went, believe it had been dropped by 1985.

Can't believe it would be a nice drive, have driven both my 101 & 90 with a prop removed and there is a noticeable difference and the vehicle just doesn't "feel" right. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #756599 5th Feb 2019 9:24pm
Timo K

Finland 
There is no point. For one, the frankly negligible fuel savings would also warrant a fitment of freewheeling hubs. Otherwise you are basically using the rear wheels to push the front wheels, all the drive line bits would still be rotating as per usual. Amount of time and effort required for all of that is better spent on practicing more economical driving...

It's often heard from the Toyota/Nissan crowd that the 2WD/4WD transfer case and freewheeling hubs are superior because of the fuel savings standpoint, but the numbers don't really back that up. Granted, they mostly have larger displacement engines, but I would argue that Mercedes G's proves them wrong. They also have full time all wheel drive like a Defender and have similar economy to Nissans and Toyotas with similar power levels.

I think the economy argument for selectable four wheel drives is a gimmick to try and hide the fact that it's an inferior system.
Post #756667 6th Feb 2019 1:27am
hank

In the Middle East I drive a Chevrolet Tahoe which has switchable 2wd/4wd, which was the trigger for these thoughts.

It's got a 5.3L V8 and I've noticed a fair difference in fuel consumption driving 2wd and 4wd. Although not scientific/mathematical each week I do similar mileage/driving and fill up every 8th day. Then I switched it to 2wd and was filling up every 10th day. Not that it matters as fuel is cheap. Perhaps I'll do some fuel economy calcs over the next few tanks.

But sounds like it's not an avenue worth exploring on the Defender > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #756673 6th Feb 2019 5:47am
blackwolf

Does the Tahoe have a conventional centre diff when in 4WD, or something like a Haldex unit? If not a conventional diff, that might well explain the difference in fuel consumption.

To me, the fact that the Defender has full-time 4WD is a huge superiority over all the current generation of other make pick-ups, which, as far as I know, are part time.
Post #756693 6th Feb 2019 9:44am
hank

It uses New Venture Gear 246 transfer box...

Automatic all wheel drive with 2wd, and 4wd lock modes and low gear. NVG 246 "AutoTrac" four wheel drive system. 2Hi, Auto 4wd (100% of torque is transferred to rear wheels until it detects a need for extra traction. Dry multi-plate clutch is used to transfer torque to the front), 4Hi (50/50 split), 4Lo, all button activated. 2.72:1 low range gear 3.73:1

GM's 10 bolt IFS front with Central Axle Disconnect (CAD)

GM's corporate 10-bolt live axle with g80 limited slip (opt) and 3.73:1 gears > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #756699 6th Feb 2019 10:35am
blackwolf

That sounds essentially like a Haldex unit. Value-engineering 4WD!
Post #756702 6th Feb 2019 11:16am
Slideywindows

England 
I've always found it strange that Land Rover came to a different conclusion about permanent 4wd to many other manufacturers, and assumed that the others remained with switchable 2/4wd, due to cheaper costs of manufacture. Could be wrong.

Land Rover did offer a 2wd/4wd transfer box on the very first One Tens at extra cost, but due to lack of demand they dropped it when the Ninety was introduced 15 months later. (An early One Ten with a switchable transfer box - and factory fitted freewheeling hubs as standard - is now a rare beast)

Can't recall any great demand during the last 28 years for Land Rover to supply a 2/4wd option on the Defender, and there must be a reason for this.

Incidentally, the very first 80" Land Rovers also had permanent 4wd but that was soon dropped.
Post #756719 6th Feb 2019 1:18pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Just guessing. Probably it was cheaper for LR to go for permanent 4wd than unpgrading the rest of the rather weak transmission (dodgy diffs and two-piece halfshaft). The std part-time 4wd is ok for most of the time but the lack of central diff can be a downside in some situations (i.e. slippery curves).

In the old S2&3 the yellow 4wd knob was quite useless with their low power and torque 2.286cc engines. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #756721 6th Feb 2019 1:38pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Surely a new 2WD/4WD transfer box and freewheeling hubs just makes this project uneconomical. Not sure the rear drivetrain could handle it??? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #756767 6th Feb 2019 5:46pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
That sounds essentially like a Haldex unit. Value-engineering 4WD!

I'm not so. To me it sounds bl00dy complicated Rolling with laughter
Post #756769 6th Feb 2019 5:54pm
blackwolf

To me it sounds like a salesman making a simple and cheap system sound high-tech!

The Haldex unit essentially uses an electronically-controlled multiplate clutch to engage the front drive when required. You will find them on things like the Yeti, the Evoque, and in fact just about every selectable 4WD vehicle now (heaven forbid not the new Defender, but I wouldn't rule it out).

So translating the blurb above, in 2WD the clutch is always disengaged. In 4WD the clutch is disengaged until the traction control ECU detects that 4WD is actually needed, whereupon it engages the clutch pack, disengaging it as soon as possible afterwards. Johnny Owner thinks that he's in 4WD, but actually he's just delegated decision-making to a computer. When in 4WD there is no centre differential action of any kind.

It is much cheaper to make since there will a traction control ECU anyway (for the legally required DSC/TC function) and instead of a big, expensive, precision-made mechanical lockable centre diff with many wearing parts, there's a small, cheap (at least to the manufacturer), off-the-shelf bought-in Haldex unit, which has few wearing parts.

Provided that your sales blurb can make it sound like the customer is getting something cutting edge instead of an iron-age differential, the majority will believe it.

The system would not work on a Defender (well, not a Td5, TDCi, or V8 Defender anyway) since the rear driveline isn't strong enough (this, of course being the reason that the LT230 and full-time 4WD was introduced with the original Range Rover and Stage 1 V8 Landrover).
Post #756780 6th Feb 2019 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>