↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cheap Crimper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
Cheap Crimper
Just seen a cheap hydraulic crimper on flea bay. Now generally I buy top gear when it comes to tools.
Me thinks you do not have to go back twice. However I want to do a dual battery installation and I do not want to have to pay for it to be done .This will enable me afford a no compromise installation sooner than later.
I,m looking at about a ton in Pommie money, but hey not like it will be used every day!
Being remote generally you can save a big quid by doing it your self, I read the Landie comic,s and cannot believe
the cheap prices you pay! This crimper is coming in at only an hour labour cost, 14 ton hydraulic with dies.
Yes I Know where it made but Iif I get one go out of the thing I,m infront.
Post #70655 12th May 2011 1:13pm
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Re: Cheap Crimper
pannawonica wrote:
Just seen a cheap hydraulic crimper on flea bay. Now generally I buy top gear when it comes to tools.
Me thinks you do not have to go back twice. However I want to do a dual battery installation and I do not want to have to pay for it to be done .This will enable me afford a no compromise installation sooner than later.
I,m looking at about a ton in Pommie money, but hey not like it will be used every day!
Being remote generally you can save a big quid by doing it your self, I read the Landie comic,s and cannot believe the cheap prices you pay! This crimper is coming in at only an hour labour cost, 14 ton hydraulic with dies.
Yes I Know where it made but Iif I get one go out of the thing I,m infront.

Have you got a link?

I bought a cheapo Chinese made Hydraulic Crimper, for 4 to 70mm² Cable, on eBay 4 years ago.

I've used it for lots of projects and it's still going strong Very Happy

I don't know if it would stand up to professional everyday use, but for what most vehicle tinkerers want, they're ideal.

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #70720 12th May 2011 6:32pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Why not solder the ends? _ We used to do that on the fire engines years ago.
Post #70730 12th May 2011 7:41pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
ickle wrote:
Why not solder the ends? _ We used to do that on the fire engines years ago.

I agree with ickle.

You get a much stronger hold and better conductivity from a soldered joint.

I had to spend hours on end in the footwells of Mastiff armored vehicles in 50-60 degree Celsius heat because Thales in their ultimate wisdom decided to crimp all the connections and they were working their way loose in the heat and the vibrations.

Reminds me I need to get some heat shrink and solder for the weekend for a few jobs Very Happy

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #70731 12th May 2011 7:52pm
Mark_110DCPU

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
A soldered joint is far more likley to break in a high vibration environment. A correctly made crimp is better in those circumstances.

When you solder a joint you end up with a solid lump upto the end of the solder. This then becomes the point at which the copper is moving, and then very quickly work hardens and snaps. A crimped joint will allow a degree or movement meaning it can flex, which spreads the stresses out.

Mark [:O|===|O:] 2001 110 TD5 Doublecab
Post #70776 12th May 2011 11:41pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think there is a case for both, i have in the past soldered one and then crimped it too. Even if you dont solder the wire into the connector then its a good idea to tin the end of the wires before crimping.

My crimper is only a cheap (about £35 uk) one and looks like a question mark if you hold it up. It does the job very well, leaves a nice tidy job and ive not had any problems at all with it. It does come with spare seals though, so i guess they are a weak point.

If you want any more details then just drop me a message.

Pete.
Post #70777 13th May 2011 12:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pannawonica

Australia 
Thanks for the good oil on the crimper!
PaulMc / Zinke it could be the same one as you have, 4 to 70 mm with spare seals.
Yes there are some valid points regarding solder and crimping, over here the thinking is solder is not suitable for the
corregations. However solder does create lower resistance and strength.
Post #70779 13th May 2011 1:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mark_110DCPU wrote:
A soldered joint is far more likley to break in a high vibration environment. A correctly made crimp is better in those circumstances.

When you solder a joint you end up with a solid lump upto the end of the solder. This then becomes the point at which the copper is moving, and then very quickly work hardens and snaps. A crimped joint will allow a degree or movement meaning it can flex, which spreads the stresses out.

Mark

Absolutely right! Apart from the high cost of inidital tooling, crimp and/or IDC connectors are both cheaper and more reliable.

If you do opt for a soldered joint, then you must ensure that you use a non-corrosive flux, and you also need to support the joint so that any movement is excluded from the soldered area. The best way to do this is with a high quality, preferably adhesive lined, heat-shrink sleeve. By the time you factor in the cost of labour to do this in a commercial environment, it soon becomes a very expensive option.

Modern lead-free solders are also not actually as suitable as the old lead/tin alloys, but I suppose the fact that the fumes won't kill you eventually might be considered a benefit!

I spent 25 years working in a design capacity for a major electronics/defence/telecomms company and we woudl very very rarely use soldered terminals.
Post #70787 13th May 2011 8:22am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Solder v crimp or solder and crimp?

People will discuss the merits of each method.

We normally crimp.

If fitting a small diameter wire to a large tube terminal then we solder (i.e. compressor on an Anderson connector)

If you decide to go down solder and crimp route I understand that it is better to crimp first and solder second. Reason being that if you crimp a solder joint the forces involved in crimping can fracture the solder.

Brendan
Post #70789 13th May 2011 8:31am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
blackwolf wrote:
If you do opt for a soldered joint, then you must ensure that you use a non-corrosive flux, and you also need to support the joint so that any movement is excluded from the soldered area. The best way to do this is with a high quality, preferably adhesive lined, heat-shrink sleeve. By the time you factor in the cost of labour to do this in a commercial environment, it soon becomes a very expensive option.

^^^ For me there wouldn't be any other option. Fortunatly for me all the materials are sourced at a very very very cheap cost (thankyou everyone Smile), and yes it is a very long process of about 10mins per terminal from start to finish compared to about 3mins to crimp and heat shrink.

But when you are on top of a vehicle in the middle of Afghanistan repairing 'crimped' joints that have worked loose on a remote weapon system you quickly learn to hate crimps.

I agree that crimps are now recognised as the norm, but that is only due to cost. I have NEVER had one of my solder joints fail on me compared to hundreds of crimp joints I have had to repair. If you have play in a termination there is the possibility of failure- a little movement will work its way to a lot of movement and then fall out. I would also say bombing through the desert of Afghanistan in vehicles weighing 50 tons on leaf springs creates more vibrations than a coil sprung Defender weighing less than 3 tons.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #70798 13th May 2011 9:45am
blackwolf

Glynparry25 wrote:
... I have NEVER had one of my solder joints fail on me compared to hundreds of crimp joints I have had to repair. ...

Glyn Dog Sheep

Aha, I agree entirely, but you (and I) know how to do them properly! Thumbs Up
Post #70806 13th May 2011 11:56am
blackwolf

leeds wrote:
... If you decide to go down solder and crimp route I understand that it is better to crimp first and solder second.

Why on earth would anyone even consider for a moment soldering then crimping? It would be a completely barmy thing to do, and would probably break something!
Post #70807 13th May 2011 11:58am
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
leeds wrote:
Solder v crimp or solder and crimp?

People will discuss the merits of each method.

We normally crimp.

If fitting a small diameter wire to a large tube terminal then we solder (i.e. compressor on an Anderson connector)

If you decide to go down solder and crimp route I understand that it is better to crimp first and solder second. Reason being that if you crimp a solder joint the forces involved in crimping can fracture the solder.

Brendan

Brendan,

I'm sure that you're aware that genuine Anderson connectors, when bought from a retail seller as a complete connector, i.e. housing and 2 x contacts, are generally supplied with contacts to fit the commonest cable size used with that particular model of connector.

Other complete connectors are available to fit a range of cable sizes, as are different sized contacts and reducing bushings, which enable a wider range of cables to be accomodated by the available range of contacts.

Anderson's data sheet library has some useful info - http://www.andersonpower.com/products/datasheets.html

For the commonly used SB175, the data sheet gives details of available contacts, as well as the reducing bushings available -

http://www.andersonpower.com/litlib/files.html/download/156

Anderson also give details on crimping or soldering the contacts, but recommend that, if soldered, cable clamps should be used with unsupported cables -

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/use.html

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #70809 13th May 2011 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1