Home > Puma (Tdci) > Oversteer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Oversteer
Good day All,

A bit of an odd one. I have been noticing over the last few months that the backend gets loose when it didn’t before or perhaps I never noticed! For example, driving through town on a route I’ve taken 100’s of times at about 20MPH and going into a very gradual bend. It had been raining a little a few hours prior so a bit wet. Then, a very slow sliding out of the rear end. This morning, like many, I woke up to a bit of snow and ice in which I drove well below the limit. Here again taking a turn at the lights and just grabbing 2nd gear gave the feel of I’m about to spin.

It’s a 14 plate so I’ve only got ABS and not ESP. I recall last winter bombing around the country lanes and feeling so stable and zero issue or recollection of the above. Tyres are a year old with 6000miles. Good Year Wranglers all around.

Any thoughts or comparisons on how your 90 reacts?

Thanks!

P
Post #753273 23rd Jan 2019 8:31am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
Mines like a Censored shopping trolley, understeer and then when lifting to get it to the front to grip I get lift off oversteer. A balanced throttle is the only way to control it especially in ice.

It's a sudden snap with no warning in mine. It was never great but worse on the mud tyres. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #753276 23rd Jan 2019 8:54am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Have you checked your tyre pressures with a calibrated gauge?

My girlfriend's dad pumped up his tyres at a garage, the car was verging on dangerous to drive. I checked with my calibrated gauge and his front tyres were at 52psi Shocked

He had inflated them to the correct pressure by the garages gauge, so definitely worth a double check Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #753283 23rd Jan 2019 9:26am
the gamekeeper

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I’m with you Grafty99, had a soft tyre on the back then when carrying loads it was all over the place. Sad now check the pressure every week now.
Post #753448 23rd Jan 2019 8:29pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Generally Defenders like to understeer in the wet, particularly under power. Lift-off oversteer can be induced, but not at such low speeds. The solid but live axles mean that wheel alignment isn‘t an issue. The rear A-arm links would be worth checking, although I would expect you‘d be hearing noises if there would something amiss.
If yours has anti roll bars, do check that they are both connected. If the front arb is disconnected, the body will lean in corners, while the rear arb will encourage the inner rear wheel to lift, causing loss of lateral grip at the rear (oversteer).

It could well be simply a tyre pressure issue. High rear tyre pressure will cause lack of grip, as the contact patch is reduced.

The age of the tyres combined with cold weather could be the issue. When I have fitted new M/T‘s on mine, they are amazingly capable on wet and icy roads for the first winter, and after that they are useless in cold weather.

One final thought. Do check that you don‘t have traces of diesel running down from the fuel filler neck in the rear wheelarch. A common Defender weakness, it wouldn‘t take much more than a few drops of diesel in wet conditions to cause the rear end to break out unexpectedly. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #753529 24th Jan 2019 7:10am
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Good call on the diesel, I had an old Discovery that started dribbling diesel out of the injector leak off pipes, which ended up spraying the underside of the car and the rear tyre. Only discovered when I turned into a roundabout at normal speed and it very quickly tried to swap ends. Luckily caught it and stopped to investigate but could've been a lot worse.
Does it do it turning left and right or just one way? Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #753546 24th Jan 2019 10:00am
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thank you all for the tips and more so, apologies for not replying to say so sooner.

Haven't been out in it for a while but did so this AM. Noticed that it was leaning more while entering a roundabout, normal speed, than exiting. Crawled under and didn't notice anything amiss either with the shocks leaking or the rear anti-sway bar having problems.

I did check the tyre pressures and all were under by 5PSI or a bit more. According to the label on the B pillar is would be 30 in the front with 38 in the rear, non-towing or full load spec. So it's the opposite of what was offered in that an over inflated tyre would do.

I'll take it to work tomorrow and see.

Thanks again Everyone.
Post #757793 10th Feb 2019 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1