↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Play in clutch pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Play in clutch pedal
The clutch on my 2005 110 has a biting point close to the bottom of the travel, particularly in reverse where it engages fine, as long as the pedal is right down.
A couple of cm off the floor and it won’t select reverse.

So....l have bled the hydraulics and left the pedal wedged down overnight to expel any air. There is about 1cm of free play in the pedal, then another 2cm before it actually starts to do anything.

The pedal height is about right, it’s 135cm from the floor (with the pedal rubber off), the manual says 140cm.
I am not sure about the lower stop screw, the pedal stops about 2cm from the bulkhead.

The clutch and flywheel were renewed in 2017 and they fitted a “heavy duty” brass? release bearing. The clutch has been fine since then but recently l’ve noticed its on the limit to select reverse.

Should l adjust the pedal a bit higher and the end stop a bit lower, or am l covering up a fault? The pedal could go up a bit higher and still be within the recommended setting. But l can’t remember if it always had 3 cm of free movement before it started to actually operate the clutch.

I took the cover off the master cylinder pivot and it looks fine (lock nuts not loose and no lost motion in the linkage)
Post #746684 20th Dec 2018 11:47pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If it’s the later type of pedal box with the travel limit screw rather than the rest stop screw then unfortunately it will always have more okay in the pedal. On the older type you could adjust the stop screw to ‘pre-load’ some of the play out of the linkage & rod but on the later type it’s always held at full extension by the spring. I suppose one could drill/tap the pedal box for a stop screw.

On mine there is some play in the trunnions on the end of the clutch lever, which accounts for a good half of the ‘free play’ in the pedal. If you very carefully depresss the pedal you can feel the play taken up in that bit first, before the pressure of the piston is felt.

All assuming no hydraulic issues of course.
Post #746706 21st Dec 2018 9:38am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes you are right, you can feel the actual free play which is only about 1cm then there’s 2 cm “lost motion” in the hydraulics before it starts to operate the clutch.

I will adjust it and see how l get on. Master/slave cylinders were renewed some time ago. Well, 50,000 miles ago to be accurate.
No leaks though.
Post #746710 21st Dec 2018 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1