↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Nut and Bolt Rebuild of 1990 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Buttons

Ireland 
Dinnu wrote:
Have enjoyed reading this so far, and eagerly awaiting more updates.

Since I read some comments about engine, you can easily know if it was originally a Diesel Turbo (aka 19J) or a 200tdi from the VIN. 8th character is the engine, B is for the 19J whereas in the UK, F is for the Tdi.
So if your VIN goes by SALLDHAB.... then it had the 19J.
If it is SALLDHAF.... then it has always been a tdi

Since you mention it has 300tdi manifolds/turbo, it is possible that it is the original engine which had a turbo failure?

Good luck with the rebuild Thumbs Up

Thank you I really appreciate the feedback, I had great plans to document all but I'm just not into that kinda stuff, tought this might motivate me to be tech savy, but no. Log book says it was a 19J. I've no idea why it would have 300tdi manifolds and turbo. I dont know enough to make a guess. The original chassis had the nearside engine mount cut and moved forward the width of the mount in order for the exhaust to clear it with a similar length of steel plate on the engine nearside block mount to make it fit. The 4 bolts at the bottom of the flywheel cover to the ladder were never fitted despite being drilled and tapped. The clutch was soaked in oil, both rear drums along with the handbrake drum the same (handbrake drum also cracked due to shoes catching on worn grooves on one side of the mounting plate), but with gear/brake oil/fluid. Pretty messy. It was well maintained but fell down on a few important points, mainly the details e.g. seals and knowledge of proper fitment of parts. Its got great patina though, especially the bonnet and wings. I'd say it was spruced up with Tdi/Defender decals when it was imported to Ireland back in 2007. The grille proudly says '110'. I have a GKN overdrive that needs a few parts that I hope to fit too.
Post #943859 26th Feb 2022 12:59am
Slideywindows

England 
"The grille proudly says 110"
This is a feature of the last year of production of the One Ten.

When the Discovery was introduced in late 1989, the Green and Gold small plastic Land Rover badge was introduced.

At about the same time the black & silver "Land Rover 110" badge that had been used since 1983, was dropped from the front of the One Ten,
The "Land Rover" part went down to the small green/gold plastic badge on the grille, and the black & silver "110" stayed on its own above the grille.
(The same happened to the Ninety).

After just one year like this, the One Ten became the Defender, so the "110" badge was dropped and replaced by "Defender".
Post #944156 28th Feb 2022 6:25pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
^^^^ That is interesting.
I always thought that the oval badge on my 90, was nicked somewhere in its previous history. Makes sense.... only need to say it once, and I have the "Land Rover 90" decal. Seems like I did something similar to those sticking the Puma 'Land Rover" or "Defender" decal on Td5 and earlier bonnet when I fitted the green oval badge on the grille Embarassed
But I can blame the fact that I did not have internet in 1994. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #944162 28th Feb 2022 7:23pm
Buttons

Ireland 
Thumbs Up
Slideywindows wrote:
"The grille proudly says 110"
This is a feature of the last year of production of the One Ten.

When the Discovery was introduced in late 1989, the Green and Gold small plastic Land Rover badge was introduced.

At about the same time the black & silver "Land Rover 110" badge that had been used since 1983, was dropped from the front of the One Ten,
The "Land Rover" part went down to the small green/gold plastic badge on the grille, and the black & silver "110" stayed on its own above the grille.
(The same happened to the Ninety).

After just one year like this, the One Ten became the Defender, so the "110" badge was dropped and replaced by "Defender".
Post #944632 4th Mar 2022 8:08pm
Buttons

Ireland 
I'm trying to figure out the spring positions on the rear drum brakes, I cant go by the fitment on stripdown as it was a bt of a mish mash of incorrect parts/fitment. Left/Right shoes were completly different. Ive seen the fitment here:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/BrakeShoe2.jpg
which appears correct though the springs I have may need a little touch of the grinder on the ends to make a snug fit as when I test fit there not snug with the spring and are in contact with the back plate. It may be me or the parts but any advice appreciated.
Post #944648 4th Mar 2022 8:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That picture does show the correct fitment.
Post #944652 4th Mar 2022 9:13pm
Buttons

Ireland 
Thumbs Up
Post #944758 6th Mar 2022 12:00am
Dinnu

That picture shows the lower spring to be from shoe to shoe. That is correct.
The upper spring is not clear, but what I know is that the upper spring goes between an anchor pin on the back plate and the leading shoe - the shoe with the adjuster cam. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #944776 6th Mar 2022 9:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^^ That was undoubtedly the case on earlier vehicles (especially Series vehicles) but I believe on drum-braked coil-sprung vehicles both springs are shoe-to-shoe. I'm not sure why nor exactly when the change occurred.
Post #944862 6th Mar 2022 9:18pm
Dinnu

I see... I might have made a wrong assumption that all drum brakes are the same. My earlier comment was specifically based on what I know from MY88 90 with rover axle and not on a later Salisbury axle.

Reminds me of my series from long time ago. IIRC, the front shoes has 2 adjusters, one for each shoe, and so had springs from shoe to shoe. But the rear, same as my 90 only had one adjuster for the leading shoe. So do not want to have the trailing shoe spring too hard that it pushes the slave cylinder in, as that will result with excessive pedal movement. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #944874 7th Mar 2022 1:52am
Buttons

Ireland 
STC1557G
I have this gasket/seal set (Victor Reinz) as part of the rebuild of the 200tdi engine. Most of the gaskets/seals are easily recognisable. Question is with the smaller 'o' rings washers etc does anyone know where all these bits go? I have searched the usual places but its quite difficult to tie down where they all fit. I'd like to know in advance of fitting as then it'll be too late to order any missing/incorrect bits.
Keep in mind its a 12J 1990 defender with a 200tdi disco engine with 300tdi manifolds/turbo so bit of a mish mash so all bits in the kit may not be applicable or fit.
Any help advice appreciated.
Post #951995 8th May 2022 8:10pm
Buttons

Ireland 
These are the washers/seals/'o'rings I'm not sure about (measurements approximate):

Click image to enlarge
Post #952002 8th May 2022 8:53pm
nitram17

Buttons wrote:

Click image to enlarge

This project will reward me and my kids more than I'll ever put into it. Looking a bit green on purchase, but running. I think the vintage year fog was in my brain regarding getting back on the road, its sept 2019 not 2020 as in my original post.

Click image to enlarge

Good luck fella with your rebuild bringing back that tired old girl back to where it belongs....On the road! May all your nuts be slack and your troubles be biscuit related! Thumbs Up
Post #952005 8th May 2022 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123