↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300tdi starting trouble: immobilizer vs ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rutlandtravels

1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Rutland Red
300tdi starting trouble: immobilizer vs ???
Happy ides of April. I drove my new (to me) 1998 300tdi 1,600 miles across Europe for 9 days without issue...save tremendous wind noise in the cabin. After being parked at home in Naples, two days later I went to move her and she wouldn't start. I get dash lights at key position II, but zero feedback at position III. I feel I've confirmed starter relay and battery power, as well as the starter motor itself as being good. But I admit I am an amateur in this domain. What's more, when I "jump" short the starter motor, she cranks as much as I want, but will not fire. This tells me that suspicions of immobilization continue to be confirmed given an apparent shut-off to fuel supply or ignition. I also get the flashing red dot in the dash...but not always. I have the two fobs and the entire vehicle is stock original.

I'm in desperate need of some expert help as I've got merely a month to get her squared away to pass Italian MOT and then ship to the USA. I've dreamt of taking a Defender home since working with the Brits in Afghanistan and around Africa, and it was sweet catharsis driving her down here from Leeds. Then WHAM, welcome to Landy ownership. Fobs work, but won't fix this. I've followed EKA with every possible combo of fob/key/no fob/switch keys, etc. to no avail.

If you're game I'm happy to jump on the phone +39 345 058 7660. Thank you for your consideration gents, and apologies for the re-post as I navigate the forum.
Post #1031473 14th Apr 2024 5:40am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Not particularly knowledgeable on the 300tdi, but I thought that engine on the Defender is purely mechanical, so does not need much more than a 12V on the fuel shut off solenoid to start. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1031477 14th Apr 2024 7:37am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
As above. Not my thing Tdi but thought power to starter and fuel cutoff solenoid. Have you checked the operation of the fuel solenoid in the pump?
Post #1031483 14th Apr 2024 8:48am
julian

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
As above, you only need two electrical items to start a standard 300 -

(Some later 300s, mostly automatics I think, had different injection pumps)

You need the starter to spin, which you have, and...

You need +12v on the solenoid on the injection pump.

Get your multimeter out and check you are getting the wire / terminal on the top of the injection pump goes high with ignition.
Post #1031490 14th Apr 2024 10:34am
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Check that a connection on the back of the Ignition barrel hasn't come off.

Does the flashing red light go solid when you try to crank? LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #1031498 14th Apr 2024 11:00am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
A 1998 will have the metal anti tamper shroud over the injection pump solenoid. This needs removing, it’s that long since I’ve done one but you have to get a bit brutal - it’s to stop people “hotwiring” the solenoid with 12v from the battery, basically exactly what you are going to have to do.
You can then put 12v to the solenoid and you should hear it click.

If it doesn’t click the solenoid has packed up.

You need a 24mm crowfoot spanner to remove the solenoid in situ.
Post #1031555 14th Apr 2024 8:07pm
Rutlandtravels

Copy all, gents. Thank you for taking the time to educate me. I’m assuming that in order to do this jump I’ll need to hot wire the starter motor and injection pump solenoid at the same time. Give me a yes/no and I’ll report back this evening. Happy Monday!
Post #1031585 15th Apr 2024 5:26am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes. Stick 12v to both at same time.

The fuel solenoid is basically a plunger that blocks the fuel from passing. I believe that on a TDi that it will be a simple single wire one. When you apply power then it pulls the plunger allowing fuel to flow. Can easily be tested off the vehicle with applying a bit of power to it.
Post #1031599 15th Apr 2024 8:53am
Floydboy

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
Hi, I experienced a similar problem on my similar Defender. It turned out to be the Alarm Spider which sits in the compartment under the passenger seat (RHD) near the battery. The Spider controls the alarm and its features, central locking, etc.
Spider is in a box in a box to keep it waterproof and tamperproof, BUT, they do corrode on the PCB. One of my PCB soldered joints had gone green and cracked. Actually cutting the metal box rivets off to get inside made it work as we disturbed the joint enough to make it connect.
I sent it to a guy in the UK who can overhaul and upgrade them. see email link, he is excellent. He added central locking relays etc. Turned pider around in 3 days including my post, his repair and his post. About £100 and works better than before as alarm fob now has more range.

https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/la...-services/

You can also get a jumper connector which plugs in instead of the spider if you are happy to give up the alarm or want a back up. see image, were on ebay not sure where else or you can get someone to make one or bridge wires temporarily if you are stuck
Post #1032212 20th Apr 2024 9:32am
Rutlandtravels

Thanks Floydboy. I actually sent him an email 3 days ago, haven’t gotten a response yet.
Post #1032219 20th Apr 2024 12:10pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
My old 110 Tdi also had the spider unit, and that also caused issues.

I drilled the rivets out, removed it and soldered over all the joints on the board, and it never gave trouble after that.

There was a genuine LR plug to bypass the spider unit available. Whether this is still out there, don't know.
Post #1032310 21st Apr 2024 3:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1