↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any Electricans?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Any Electricans?
Seems to be the hardest trade to actually come and do a job for you Whistle Ive done a bit of wiring and 3 phase/machine wiring and automotive so not completely inexperienced. I do have a guy that will come and check it over before I connect it to the main board next door- he works away and said if I do the “donkey work” he will check it over.

I have a 3 phase compressor that I’ve changed to a single phase motor with a start and run capacitor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I want to install a separate distribution board like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general...unit/1926g

To feed a 16amp socket for the welder and a 32amp for the compressor:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-surface-soc...ip44/9990f

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-straight-pl...ip44/6803x

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-surface-soc...ip44/1858f

Can anyone see a problem doing it this way?

Thanks

Nick
Post #738244 2nd Nov 2018 8:44pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Your Distribution Board has the incorrect MCBs to do this. Screwfix May sell them separately.

Your compressor or welder may knock the RCD out, you also usually supply motors with a type C or D MCB. These may operate on motor loads. Domestic style distribution boards don’t usually have the option to install these type of breakers. To the regs, you need to supply these sockets through 30mA RCD.

Hope that helps!
Post #738248 2nd Nov 2018 8:56pm
NickMc

Thanks! Do I need one of the industrial style distribution boards then you think?

This style?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chint-4-way-125...oard/9696v

Last edited by NickMc on 2nd Nov 2018 9:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #738259 2nd Nov 2018 9:15pm
Rashers

Also forgot to say, your protective device supplying this DB doesn’t want to be over 40 Amps as that is the limit of the main RCD.

Sorry you are struggling with getting an electrician. I have moved on, I just design the stuff now, I don’t fit anything. We might as well get used to it as the trade is going more and more self-employed and this doesn’t help with getting apprentices or training youngsters, not that many of them want this kind of job. A real shame. The whole of the construction industry is worryingly floored, and I think this discourages getting youngsters involved in the industry.

Rant over Thumbs Up £300000 a week for that Man City player. No wonder everyone wants to be a professional footballer not an electrician Rolling with laughter
Post #738261 2nd Nov 2018 9:18pm
Rashers

You will need to find a DB which you can get type C MCBs for.

I am not sure about Screwfix. I will have a look.
Post #738262 2nd Nov 2018 9:19pm
Rashers

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general...-mcb/78793

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general...-mcb/39992

These are type C MCBs which I believe fit that Distribution Board you have selected. Buy the DB, and the MCBs and swap them over.

The RCD issue is a bit of a problem. Earth leakage from some welders and capacitors can be an issue. Best thing to do is give it a go. If it operates, it’s not dangerous. You may be fine.
Post #738263 2nd Nov 2018 9:25pm
NickMc

Rashers wrote:
Also forgot to say, your protective device supplying this DB doesn’t want to be over 40 Amps as that is the limit of the main RCD.

Sorry you are struggling with getting an electrician. I have moved on, I just design the stuff now, I don’t fit anything. We might as well get used to it as the trade is going more and more self-employed and this doesn’t help with getting apprentices or training youngsters, not that many of them want this kind of job. A real shame. The whole of the construction industry is worryingly floored, and I think this discourages getting youngsters involved in the industry.

Rant over Thumbs Up £300000 a week for that Man City player. No wonder everyone wants to be a professional footballer not an electrician Rolling with laughter

The motor trade is sadly going the same way- autonomous vehicles that only 1% of the mechanics in the world can fix, no one that stays past the 2 year mark or finishes up after you invest the time and money into them only to head overseas for more money and a better lifestyle. Most dealers now as well send you off to get factory trained and keep the knowledge inside. Or 3 years and no way to ever move up and you get squeezed and squeezed on time by the bosses to
make more money, because it’s all warranty work paid at a reduced rate, then have to buy all you own tools and Diagnostics gear at a cost of 25k minium- which the top money you’ll ever earn working for someone is 28k Rolling Eyes not to mention beating your body, poisoning your lungs only for the customer to tell you “ they saw on YouTube or read on the internet” Rolling with laughter

I’ve been waiting now on four different guys 22 weeks! And I’m fairness to them they seem to be working 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week, because there’s too much work
and not enough of them!
Post #738264 2nd Nov 2018 9:26pm
Rashers

I cannot complain about the money I earned as an Electrician. In my day, I worked nights, weekends, evenings, early mornings - you normal people don’t like being disturbed so I had to work when you didn’t.
Time and a half Saturday morning, double time Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Two 10 hour days at a weekend would be 37.5hrs paid, another weeks wages, not that we ever worked 7.5 hrs a day. 8 was grim, 9 better, 10hrs a day was good. You get used to the hours and the money.

The down side is I saw a lot of people grow apart from their wives / partners and guys whose children were strangers to them. The kids never wanted for anything, other than a Father. Divorce was the norm. Money isn’t everything. The hours were like a drug for some.

I still believe that construction is a cracking industry to be in and I don’t regret my career. Would I go down that road again, possibly not. Would I recommend anyone’s child to become an electrician, mmmm I’m not so sure I would.

Should this be in the grumpy man thread? Sorry. I’ve hyjacked your thread Rolling with laughter
Post #738272 2nd Nov 2018 9:58pm
NickMc

What are you trying to say? The brain dead screen zombie youth of today don’t want to get dirty Whistle Laughing
Post #738278 2nd Nov 2018 10:16pm
Rashers

I think that just about sums it up quite nicely Thumbs Up
Post #738280 2nd Nov 2018 10:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They aren’t all bad, just the majority. There is the education system to blame for all this, has been for years. They only incite them to want to be an IT tech, Doctor, Lawyer. Etc etc
Nothing wrong with that but those jobs are limited and there is a whole world of choices out there.
If some do take a genuine interest in trades etc and things like that they’ll often get patronised for it. “Do you really want to do that all your life...?”
“What about this INSTEAD”.

Back on subject, regarding products you may be looking for. Try having a look at TLC electrical, they are pretty good for selection and prices. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #738292 2nd Nov 2018 10:47pm
NickMc

6mm wire be enough you think chaps?
Post #738624 4th Nov 2018 7:14pm
Rashers

To supply the distribution board or the socket outlets?

Also what custom90steve said, TLC Direct are very good.

For a 40 Amp supply to the DB (dependant on the length) 10mm2

32 Amp supply to the Socket, 6mm2 should be enough.

There are a lot of variables when sizing cables which in most cases make the cable size go up.

In house wiring terms 2.5mm2 for a ring main or 16/20 Amp radial. These days, 1.0mm2 for lights. Personally, I would never use anything less than 1.5mm2 but then I’m not trying to make a living wiring houses.
Cookers are 6.0mm2 for a 32 Amp MCB or 10mm2 for a 40 Amp MCB supply. Electric showers are 10mm2 minimum these days.
Post #738632 4th Nov 2018 7:37pm
NickMc

Wish me luck Laughing MCBs will be in tomorrow fingered crossed have stolen/borrowed a reel of wire out of the old mans garage Whistle went to screwfix, as it’s close to home and open until 8pm

Click image to enlarge
Post #738922 6th Nov 2018 1:20am
Rashers

A lot of electrical work is common sense.

As long as your connections are secure, you don't have any singularly insulated cable showing and all cables are fixed, you should be fine.

Just watch those blue plugs and sockets. The fat pin is always the earth but it is easy to swap the phase (live) and neutral over. Just check both the plug and the socket are connected the same.

It might not be possible, but it is always better to bring your cables in and out at the bottom. Holes in the top surface of any enclosure welcomes dirt muck and grime (or worse still, anything metallic) to enter the distribution board.

As most distribution boards are metal these days (thanks to the London Fire Brigade), it's best to use grommets or TRS compression glands (if you can) where cables enter and leave the DB enclosure.
Post #738964 6th Nov 2018 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>