↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any Electricans?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Well I finally managed to get it done, just need the compressor wired in now!

Click image to enlarge
Post #741286 19th Nov 2018 8:08pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
Also forgot to say, your protective device supplying this DB doesn’t want to be over 40 Amps as that is the limit of the main RCD.

Sorry you are struggling with getting an electrician. I have moved on, I just design the stuff now, I don’t fit anything. We might as well get used to it as the trade is going more and more self-employed and this doesn’t help with getting apprentices or training youngsters, not that many of them want this kind of job. A real shame. The whole of the construction industry is worryingly floored, and I think this discourages getting youngsters involved in the industry.

Rant over Thumbs Up £300000 a week for that Man City player. No wonder everyone wants to be a professional footballer not an electrician Rolling with laughter

also remember the younger generation is all electronic based now, they want to play on game consoles, fanny about making videos on youtube and getting paid for it. For those who do want to get into the field, its very, very hard. I have seen people who I used to go to school with. End up not completing their training due to loss of contracts from the company they worked for. All end up either going back to college or just end up in a call centre. Most just end up in call centres sadly. Also a lot of companies I find are very shy too on taking new people on for training, which is wrong too. I tried to get experience in the computer industry nearly 15 years ago. I was close to my second MCP for windows 2003. But no one would even entertain me, or even entertain the windows XP counter part. I wanted to be in a school as the ICT tech. I ended up coming off the course, and throwing it all in. I kept my bit lab I used for the MCP stuff. Now its retro Rolling with laughter Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #741297 19th Nov 2018 8:54pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
NickMc wrote:
Rashers wrote:
Also forgot to say, your protective device supplying this DB doesn’t want to be over 40 Amps as that is the limit of the main RCD.

Sorry you are struggling with getting an electrician. I have moved on, I just design the stuff now, I don’t fit anything. We might as well get used to it as the trade is going more and more self-employed and this doesn’t help with getting apprentices or training youngsters, not that many of them want this kind of job. A real shame. The whole of the construction industry is worryingly floored, and I think this discourages getting youngsters involved in the industry.

Rant over Thumbs Up £300000 a week for that Man City player. No wonder everyone wants to be a professional footballer not an electrician Rolling with laughter

The motor trade is sadly going the same way- autonomous vehicles that only 1% of the mechanics in the world can fix, no one that stays past the 2 year mark or finishes up after you invest the time and money into them only to head overseas for more money and a better lifestyle. Most dealers now as well send you off to get factory trained and keep the knowledge inside. Or 3 years and no way to ever move up and you get squeezed and squeezed on time by the bosses to
make more money, because it’s all warranty work paid at a reduced rate, then have to buy all you own tools and Diagnostics gear at a cost of 25k minium- which the top money you’ll ever earn working for someone is 28k Rolling Eyes not to mention beating your body, poisoning your lungs only for the customer to tell you “ they saw on YouTube or read on the internet” Rolling with laughter

I’ve been waiting now on four different guys 22 weeks! And I’m fairness to them they seem to be working 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week, because there’s too much work
and not enough of them!

Yeah they are making them more harder for the average mechanic now to work on, in fact some of the new lads wouldn't even have a clue about carb based systems and other types of suspensions. If a mossy minor came in for repair, I recon they wouldn't even have a clue on what to do with it, as I don't think colleges even train them on the old stuff sadly. I found that out when I did a course years ago. All about the diagnostics that you plug in. Also Nickmc, have you seen how new cars are built? Nissan Censored is just flung together, they can get a car built with in an hour, ( 45 mins ) They really do screw the work force to do it mind. But the money is good, but you are bed to work. I make the parts for their cars, which is a good job to do. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #741299 19th Nov 2018 9:01pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
I cannot complain about the money I earned as an Electrician. In my day, I worked nights, weekends, evenings, early mornings - you normal people don’t like being disturbed so I had to work when you didn’t.
Time and a half Saturday morning, double time Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Two 10 hour days at a weekend would be 37.5hrs paid, another weeks wages, not that we ever worked 7.5 hrs a day. 8 was grim, 9 better, 10hrs a day was good. You get used to the hours and the money.

The down side is I saw a lot of people grow apart from their wives / partners and guys whose children were strangers to them. The kids never wanted for anything, other than a Father. Divorce was the norm. Money isn’t everything. The hours were like a drug for some.

I still believe that construction is a cracking industry to be in and I don’t regret my career. Would I go down that road again, possibly not. Would I recommend anyone’s child to become an electrician, mmmm I’m not so sure I would.

Should this be in the grumpy man thread? Sorry. I’ve hyjacked your thread Rolling with laughter

what you are describing there rashers, is supermarket jobs. They want the earth from you, and yeah the job does kill family life sadly. No job is worth that at all. Working all weekends etc, Xmas plans thrown at you in august, XMAS launched at the back end of October. By the time November is out you are sick of the sight of it all. Then there is the pressure of leading up to the big day. People getting nasty etc. Once the big day is here, you just don't want to know as you are too drained. Weekends are family time, I will not take anyone's time from their weekend, after working in a supermarket, cause of this very thing you mentioned. People growing a part from wives/ partners etc. I would rather take the time off from work, for job that needs to be done or if some one is coming to look at a job. The a lot of industries need looking at badly. Retail is a major must, as my former work mates are working boxing day now and newyears day. best thing I did was get into production. At least you do get the weekends off and holidays. No need for it all, Emergency services I am very grateful to. With them giving up their time, but sadly they are not paid for it enough. I always have a drink on them at xmas and new year. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #741301 19th Nov 2018 9:12pm
NickMc

There’s so much parts sharing across the brands now, the problem is in dealer they’ve made it so unprofitable to fix the hard stuff, there will be one “mastertech” normally if they’re lucky in a dealer (look up mechanics jobs and that’s what they’re needing) and they get all the crap work that doesn’t pay and is warranty, so they all get to the point of they could be earning more doing the gravy work vs all the training and getting stuck spending 8 hours on a customers intermittent fault only to get paid for maybe 2 hours -people often forget now that mechanics arent paid by hour or job anymore it’s all a percentage.

I just work at Land Rovers now, mostly Defender and Disco. I find though too many people buy them “cheap” and I’m sorry to say don’t look after them- I think they forget that a 50k car will still be expensive to fix and they get run into the ground. I’m also a bit of a Land Rover “enthusiast” hater they’re some of the worst looked after and bodged I see spend all the money on bling and nothing on the mechanicals Whistle
Post #741302 19th Nov 2018 9:12pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
yeah, a few cars are based on the one car now. Nissan assembles cars but doesn't make them etc.
Shame things have gone that way as its a dieing art now that, People are not too keen on the idea of picking up spanners etc they just want to throw it at someone else too. It can be a pleasure in doing stuff like that.
I didnt know mechanics were percentage based now, Shocked Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #741304 19th Nov 2018 9:18pm
NickMc

Oh yes look up flat rate mechanic pay! It’ll make a lot of sense to you then why you often get a bad service at a dealer now.

Some places even pay you as a “team” so if you have a lazy guy that sits on bakebook all day that affects your salary.

Why a lot of apprentices don’t make it and aren’t wanted because how do you teach someone when that’s how you get paid?trying to beat the system.

And warranty work in some places isn’t the full rate- lovely if they’re giving out 5 years warranty and 5 years servicing!
Post #741313 19th Nov 2018 9:32pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
shocking that! just shows you that every company wants to do things on the cheap. you want to see some of the stuff that we are told is fine to send through! Shocked Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #741333 19th Nov 2018 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12