↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Why you have probably bought your last car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder when we'll have electric ships and aircraft, since these together (I believe) use more fossil fuels in total than motor vehicles.

I suppose we could return to the era of the clipper ships and sail, but it seems daft that for a few hundred quid you can fly off on holiday somewhere (a wholly unnecessary journey) and in so doing use more fuel that my Defender will use in a lifetime.
Post #734328 12th Oct 2018 9:02am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Myth or Fact... Question

At University I was told that the production of a Vehicle uses more energy* than it will use during its life time**.

* The energy to produce everything, and transport it, the whole production chain form base materials to end product.
** Research took the average life of a vehicle as 15 years, which was then (90's) at the higher end of the scale (12.5-15Yrs)

Conclusion: Make fewer, better Cars, that last longer...wait a moment... Exclamation

SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #734335 12th Oct 2018 9:36am
Pat

Wales 
Like graffty99, I question how this could even begin to work in rural areas. 2018 and my Broadband is still crawling to me along a mix of aluminium and copper! We are told it's not financially viable to run fibre down the lanes ... who's going to be in a hurry to direct pods out into the sticks? People in the city need to get real. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #734342 12th Oct 2018 10:15am
dioliahary

Scotland 
Here’s one for you, rather than curse the Diesel engine why not ..for example target organisations that tell us they are environmentally friendly but market and sell bottled water, a carbon footprint that is really not needed in the UK. I am no eco warrior but curious about where the cross hairs point and how we are convinced to target a particular segment of a far greater problem...rant over 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #734404 12th Oct 2018 6:36pm
Slideywindows

England 
blackwolf wrote:

it seems daft that for a few hundred quid you can fly off on holiday somewhere (a wholly unnecessary journey) and in so doing use more fuel that my Defender will use in a lifetime.

Are you a non-flyer Blackwolf?

I haven't set foot in a plane since 1980.

It gives you a different perspective when you see the air above you filling with more and more planes, while the fertile agricultural land of your County is covered in increasing acreages of tarmac for an ever-expanding airport.

And your taxes pay for policing and security that should all be included in the ticket price.

Are there any solar, battery, or wind powered jets in the pipeline or do holiday flights have a "golden ticket" to avoid the swingeing changes being forced on the automotive industry?

Sorry for the rant - just a non-flyer's take on things.
Post #734406 12th Oct 2018 7:16pm
dioliahary

Scotland 
That's the spirit, lets broaden the spectrum.

Bit like Londons LEM zone how the hell do they filter the air in that zone to ensure its different... Hmmm air is air.. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #734407 12th Oct 2018 7:29pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Well I think I've bought my last ever car...my 2016 Defender & frankly every other vehicle on sale today is just incredibly boring & has no appeal whatsoever & as Im in my 60th year it should last me out.

As for electric vehicles, don't get me onto that subject, batteries are crammed full of really very nasty things that will need recycling, they won't last forever and the pollution in making these appliances (which modern cars are) is horrific...plastic everywhere etc, I could go on.

Their are plenty of aged series, Defender & assorted Land Rovers still doing their stuff...the ultimate green vehicle?

I think so. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #734426 12th Oct 2018 9:00pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I do not envy youngsters like you, at least I will probably miss the worst extremes of what is to come Big Cry
Rolling with laughter 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #734432 12th Oct 2018 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123