↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sad Sad Day RIP Mr T-max
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
DaveW wrote:
I got sick and tired of replacing dead ARB compressors and went T-Max on the grounds that, if it lasts as long as any of the ARBs I'll be quids in. The T-Max has now lasted for 5 years, 2 years longer than the best ARB I had, and is still going strong. Would I buy ARB again ? Nope, overpriced, unreliable and cost more to repair than the T-Max cost new.

My T-Max is permanently plumbed in with a pressure switch (mounted on a dead ARB as it happens !), a reservoir cylinder and with an airline connector at each door.

That said, the ARB compressor in our 90, in a MUCH dryer and cleaner environment, has now lasted 5 years but then it only gets used once every 6 months whereas the T-Max on my 100 inch is used for winch freespool, air locking diffs and airing up tyres at least once a month so does have a harder life as well as being a much damper and dirtier environment.

That is interesting as i'm really stuck with anecdotal evidence as I don't know anyone nearby with the ARB, There is equal good and bad reports for both. And IMHO the single arb / t max small do a similar amount of air flow I was considering the twin as just making life quicker for me and friends for airing up. For spending £350 for the twin let alone fabbing a bracket to mount it etc etc. I was hoping to have good lifespan and at the minute occasional use and maybe more frequent for next year when I start doing more trips.
I don't know if the T-max would be happy horizontal as there isn't that much space under the rear seats where I have an Idea where to place it. It'll be nice just to open the rear door and plug the air line in instead of having to get it out of a bag open the battery box cart it about.
Decisions decisions

Keep the same and enjoy the saving of dosh but the added setup time

Vs

Upgrade to maybe a questionable reliability but rapid inflation and setup. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #734307 12th Oct 2018 12:07am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Those are not the only options though. There is also Viair. Although there are mixed reviews on the smaller units of those as well.
Post #734317 12th Oct 2018 7:54am
eddy

Australia 
I was at an auction yard the other day,where a few ex Australian army Land Rovers are coming up for sale.The 6x6 dual cab running an Izuzu turbo diesel was fitted with an endless air compressor,twin cylinder.I put up some pics on the Aulro forum.Expensive way to go....but it does come with the vehicle to drive it! https://www.aulro.com/afvb/military-land-r...ys-wa.html
Post #734455 13th Oct 2018 8:08am
Devon-Rover

For circa £26,000 if I had that amount spare I would of brought that 6x6 dual cab It looks absolutely epic.

Well the compressor fund has taken a bit of a beating after the recent headlight wiring issues so budget rules over shear ability. as much as I would love a Twin ARB It'll have to wait until a later date.

The logic says buy another T-max and just carry on what I have done in the past but I gather the pressure gauge is just as inaccurate as was to begin with. but I wonder if there is a third way as after all i'm that kind of person to do it differently Rolling Eyes Maybe with some adaptor adapting I could run the ARB gauge off the T-max compressor.

I Just need to find out the style ARB use as I think the T-max uses a KL or KL-F connector (It was a few years ago I got my coil extension hose made)

Either that or use the ARB pump up kit and change the outlet connector on the compressor.

Hmmmmm Rolling Eyes Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #736246 22nd Oct 2018 8:53pm
eddy

Australia 
Yes,it went for an exorbitant amount of money.......someones long term investment?
ARB's digital tyre inflator may be the way to go.https://www.arb.com.au/air-compressors-tyre-accessories/tyre-accessories/
Post #736281 23rd Oct 2018 3:31am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I used to have a TMax, it was irritating to use so I fitted a pressure switch. It wasn't overly happy living under the bonnet though.

6 months ago I moved over to the twin ARB mounted under the driver's seat and it's so much better to use. The only issue I've had is that I originally plumbed the output of the ARB using 12mm OD nylon air line which couldn't take the heat and melted. I've now got some braided line (ironically Viair) which I'll use for the first section. It does get quite a bit of use (though I doubt as much as davew) and the hose only let go after a lot of tyre inflations. I'd just aired all of my tyres up from 0.8 to 2.2 bar so (12-33PSI) so it had understandably got a bit warm.

One issue you need to be aware of with the TMax et al is that all the quick connect fittings they use are mounted backwards. This is to stop air leaking out of the tyre when you turn the compressor off to check the air pressure but it means that you can't use them with a traditional tyre inflator without fitting a pressure switch. The switch on the body of the compressor is just controlling an internal relay so it's easy enough to hack should you want to. If you're ever near East Anglia you're welcome to the remains of mine if you want it.
Post #736404 23rd Oct 2018 8:12pm
Devon-Rover

Thanks for the info Cupboard Thumbs Up

I don't venture near east Anglia often though.

I'm going to go with the t-max then figure out the way of getting a trustworthy pressure gauge. Very Happy Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #736533 24th Oct 2018 7:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12