↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 - Hybrid / VGT Turbo - Who to buy from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
TD5 - Hybrid / VGT Turbo - Who to buy from?
My Td5 110 currently has a stage 2 remap from Alive along with the usual extras e.g. uprated intercooler, blanked EGR, air box mod and decat pipe. Ideally I'd like a bit more power out of it albeit not pushing the limits of the engine or belching black smoke.

I've been speaking to Alive about their PP4 set-up with hybrid turbo and also Jose at Td5inside about his VGT but am undecided. Alive seem very professional and quick to answer queries, Jose is somewhat intermittent with responding to messages but seems to get good reviews online. I'm happy to buy and fit the parts but would like it properly mapped afterwards to get the most out of it. Does anyone have experience with either of them or recommend other suppliers?

Thanks, Harry 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #732113 1st Oct 2018 8:28am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I actually do not have experience of either of them, but am interested to hear other peoples experiences.

There are of course other options; IRB, Allisport, BAS, etc that all do versions of the VGT or Hybrid turbos and remap as well.

Might be worth firing an email of to them as well.
Post #732132 1st Oct 2018 10:04am
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
IRB, BAS & allisport all sell the same turbo technics VNT turbo. But allisport also offers a Hybrid from CRturbos (who Jose uses).

Jose is an absolute wizard and will look after you, admittedly he is a little difficult to get hold of. I don't have first hand experience but a friend used him for a remap and was very happy with the results.

I have a CRturbo fitted to a TDi and the guys there certainly know their stuff - and its bloody lovely Very Happy

Just to stir things a little more, there is an Alive turbo in the for sale section Thumbs Up
Post #732150 1st Oct 2018 11:26am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I have 2 TD5, both tuned by Gary at Alive Mr. Green
I have the PP4, fitted with the Alives own turbo ...... superb. Not tuned for out and out power but just sooooo much more refined and drive able. Its that good the other one will be going for the PP4 as soon as I can justify it Whistle My original has been running his PP3 for 7 years and approx 70K with absolutely no issues. He runs a small team, all very Knowledgeable, in there own right, and Ben has been with him for years, which says alot in itself.
They are also easily contactable as you yourself have said, which continues with the after sales. I have spoke with the other tuners originally, and saw no need to change when I got the second TD5. I even had Garys tune on the 2.2 before I saw the light and went back to the TD5 Rolling with laughter
Post #732177 1st Oct 2018 1:15pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Alive turbo all the way 👍👍 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #732272 1st Oct 2018 8:18pm
Harry.O

Thanks for the advice all, I did look at the IRB/BAS turbo and have spoken to Ian at IRB, he's difficult to get hold of and BAS is quite a distance from me. Similarly Td5 inside seem to get good feedback and they travel to you to map the vehicle, their pricing is very competitive as well but difficult to get hold of.

Having spoken with Alive quite a bit it's likely I will go with their product, they are only an hour away or so and will set everything up on a rolling road. Garry seems really helpful and happy to answer as many stupid questions as I ask.

Barbel Jim - did you go for their exhaust also? I've currently got a decat downpipe with a straight through mid-box and wondering if it's worth the money for potentially small gains. How is it noise-wise? Currently the 110 sounds nice but I don't want it to be ASBO noisy.

Thanks, Harry 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
Post #732353 2nd Oct 2018 7:45am
barbel jim

I was going with there exhaust originally, but there dcat is just that, so I went with Allisport and the dummy dcat, center bullet silencer and standard back box, same as the green one. Its not the loudest and on a motorway you don't get the constant annoying drone. Alives Hybrid turbos are unique to them....... and I traveled over 2 hours .... and particularly enjoyed the journey home Whistle
Post #732384 2nd Oct 2018 9:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So what is the difference between Alives Turbos and the rest?
Post #732390 2nd Oct 2018 9:27am
barbel jim

Its a hybrid, developed by themselves with some cleaver internals Whistle
Post #732410 2nd Oct 2018 10:22am
Harry.O

Thanks for the reply and also your PM Jim Thumbs Up I'll have a look at Allisport and their offerings, the Alive system is CAT back only so no downpipe. The mock-cat offered by Allisport seems a good solution as the MOT rules get stricter.

Geobloke - my understanding is that the BAS/IRB offering is a VGT whereas the Alive version is not but stand to be corrected. There's a bit of info here if that helps http://www.defender2.net/forum/post351204.html 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
Post #732629 3rd Oct 2018 6:52am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
Its a hybrid, developed by themselves with some cleaver internals Whistle

Ahhh so a hybrid version of the GT20 turbo as opposed to a variable geometry turbo. Impressive figures from that 2014 thread started by Alive.

Would love to know more about the hybrid in particular whether the exhaust-side compressor turbine has also been upgraded as well. Loads of advertising for the intake turbines being billeted and upgraded bearings, but nothing about the dirty-side turbine.

Also, what are the differences between the Alive hybrid and the Allisport hybrid because apart from a fancy coat of paint on the Allisport version they look to be quite similar, apart from price that is...

So many questions.
Post #732676 3rd Oct 2018 10:25am
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
Remember that the Allisport turbo has a surcharge of £400 so will put the pricing in line with Alive's offering.

Both the turbos will look the same externally as they are both a standard TD5 unit, its what's inside that counts, which will be a machined housing and different turbine and compressor. The information of the uprated wheels, neither company is likely to divulge.

I think that Alive and TD5inside/CRturbos are both reputable companies and deliver good results, if it was me having the tuning done I would match the turbo to the tuner.

Have to say, I have the Alive exhaust and it is delicious Thumbs Up
Post #732684 3rd Oct 2018 11:46am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Could someone aluminium me in regards to VGT/ hybrid?

I know a VGT will change its fan blades angle of attack to get the most efficient compression just like a prop plane, but how does a hybrid work? Is it just tuned in a way that gives better compression at low engine RPM but less at higher RPM? Is it like the atlas turboprop props? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #732705 3rd Oct 2018 12:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
A hybrid turbo is just a fancy way of saying that the moving parts have been upgraded, so the main turbo housing remains the same as standard but the internals are no longer standard;

up-rated ball bearings - potentially allowing for faster spool up times.
    billet compressor will possibly have a different number of vanes, vane pitch/curvature and blade roughness - designed to gather air more efficiently.

The importance of the billet aluminium is that the manufacture and balancing can be done to a very high precision. Relatively easily and cheaply.

But as mentioned before I wonder whether there are any changes to the exhaust-side turbine or is it that since you cannot see the turbine it is not worth mentioning. I suspect that if it had been up-rated it would have been advertised, but I am a curious chap who likes to know and understand.
Post #732722 3rd Oct 2018 1:57pm
barbel jim

lets just say the exhaust side isn't standard Whistle
Post #732751 3rd Oct 2018 5:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>