Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Finally done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I will later replace the door with glass.

You can follow the whole build on the below thread.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showt...stem/page4
Post #857892 24th Sep 2020 4:09pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Thumbs Up
Post #858009 25th Sep 2020 5:56am
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
As a follow up for the future searchers. On the non Pumas this is a very easy mod. You should be able to save your old windows and window frames.

On the puma- unless you want to turn this in to a multi day ordeal, the easiest way is to cut the adhesive bond with a long knife From the outside of the truck between the Frame and body. The sealant used is black windshield adhesive and is incredibly strong. After you have cut the adhesive you still will likely have to remove and sacrifice the window frame. You can save the glass but the aluminum frame just Is not salvageable for the most part. It’s not worth the time to save them and make it a 2 day project.
Post #906491 4th Jun 2021 7:24pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I would like to balance the perceived difficulty of removing the original sliding windows on a puma.

Until recently, I was also under the belief that no matter how you look at it, it will end up with a fight with the said windows and frames at the risk of damaging the surrounding body paint, plus the unknown finish quality of a DIY job when fitting the new ones (sealant spilling? interior trim not fitting flush? etc.).

Anyway, I came across this new video a few weeks ago https://explore-glazing.nl/en/explore-glazing-videos which for the first time made it look like it's doable with not too much sweat. It actually gave me the courage to go ahead.

My Experience:
I was fed up with mine rattling and not closing tight, letting road noise enter the cabin, I went ahead an ordered some new sliding windows from Explore Glazing - didn't want to go for the gullwing as I like the original look of the sliding ones, I was just after better quality than the JLR ones.
I did follow above video by the book (can I say that?) with available tools at hand : the wife's hairdryer instead of a hot gun, working slowly in steps of about 30cm heating and cutting with a long blade stanley knife. I also used a bicycle brake cable for the upper part. On the video, once everything is prepared, they remove one window in 30min, and it took me 2hrs for the same job, taking my time and not rushing through it. All in all, one long afternoon to prepare and remove both sides. Another shorter afternoon to install the new ones, clean up, and refit trim. I did all this alone, not a problem as I have long arms, although I must say an assistant would have helped for certain steps.

Results:
Aside of the small but sensible decrease of road noise ingress into the cabin, some pictures of the old windows that did not get damaged during the removal process, and of the new windows fitting flush and looking good. Happy.

/Mat

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #906751 7th Jun 2021 10:52am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Thanks for that Mat.
What are your impressions of the Explore Glazing sliding window - obviously it has solved the rattling, but what else makes it better than the LR window?
I couldn't find much in the way of photos of it on the Explore site - any chance you could post some more pics of the new window?
If so, I'd be interested to see the lock, channels etc.
Post #906791 7th Jun 2021 1:40pm
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
MatLandy wrote:
I would like to balance the perceived difficulty of removing the original sliding windows on a puma.

Until recently, I was also under the belief that no matter how you look at it, it will end up with a fight with the said windows and frames at the risk of damaging the surrounding body paint, plus the unknown finish quality of a DIY job when fitting the new ones (sealant spilling? interior trim not fitting flush? etc.).

Anyway, I came across this new video a few weeks ago https://explore-glazing.nl/en/explore-glazing-videos which for the first time made it look like it's doable with not too much sweat. It actually gave me the courage to go ahead.

My Experience:
I was fed up with mine rattling and not closing tight, letting road noise enter the cabin, I went ahead an ordered some new sliding windows from Explore Glazing - didn't want to go for the gullwing as I like the original look of the sliding ones, I was just after better quality than the JLR ones.
I did follow above video by the book (can I say that?) with available tools at hand : the wife's hairdryer instead of a hot gun, working slowly in steps of about 30cm heating and cutting with a long blade stanley knife. I also used a bicycle brake cable for the upper part. On the video, once everything is prepared, they remove one window in 30min, and it took me 2hrs for the same job, taking my time and not rushing through it. All in all, one long afternoon to prepare and remove both sides. Another shorter afternoon to install the new ones, clean up, and refit trim. I did all this alone, not a problem as I have long arms, although I must say an assistant would have helped for certain steps.

Results:
Aside of the small but sensible decrease of road noise ingress into the cabin, some pictures of the old windows that did not get damaged during the removal process, and of the new windows fitting flush and looking good. Happy.

/Mat

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is great info to have on the record for this project that many people are scared of!
Post #906795 7th Jun 2021 2:07pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Can you open the gullwings from the inside? I am building a camper and would like to be able to open/close the windows without leaving the interior.
Post #986483 23rd Mar 2023 11:16am
Jim_Bean

When you guys (based in the UK) have bought kit from Explore Glazing did you get hit with import costs & taxes?
Post #999693 11th Jul 2023 9:46pm
1NRO

United Kingdom 
Sure did Rolling Eyes
Post #999718 11th Jul 2023 11:18pm
Jim_Bean

Big Cry is there any way to calculate what they might be?

Is it a sweeping 20% VAT fee? Plus handling fees?
Post #999742 12th Jul 2023 9:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Post #999748 12th Jul 2023 10:02am
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Jim_Bean wrote:
Can you open the gullwings from the inside? I am building a camper and would like to be able to open/close the windows without leaving the interior.

If that’s the case you may be better off with a more standard camper van window, the bonus is they come with built in blinds and fly screen!
One of my ‘to do’ upgrades list on my camper is fit one of these…
https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/dometic/se...e/windows/ 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #999753 12th Jul 2023 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234