Home > Maintenance & Modifications > sound up-grade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
sound up-grade
just wondering if you can spare some advice
not after the best sound available but do want to improve it.

I've already upgraded the head unit to some half decent Kenwood thingy with mp3 etc.

but replacing the speakers for these;
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165707

do you thing they're likely to make any difference. hopefully be fitting some small sub woofer at a later date.

thanks.
Post #65765 31st Mar 2011 3:52pm
ken

United Kingdom 
TBH the best way is a good head unit and then 2 6x9 quality speakers in separate enclosures then a sub woofer not the flat type the one in a Box with its own amp

It may take a bit of room in the back but the sound is Mr. Green
Post #65767 31st Mar 2011 4:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As above preferably 2 6x9's but if you'd rather keep to standard size anything would probably be an improvement. I have 4x of these much improved for standard size http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/kfc-s1093-speakers However if you'd like to add your own larger 6x9's maybe these would be of interest to you http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/kfc-s6993-speakers The 6x9's my friend has got and i can vouch for the quality and power of them! good luck Thumbs Up
Post #65780 31st Mar 2011 6:20pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I went through the same process. New Kenwood head unit, 4 x Kenwood speakers and then the Aline 8" sub with it's own amp. It has transformed the sound. Thumbs Up BM52
Post #65792 31st Mar 2011 9:10pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
thanks for the 6x9 suggestions however I'm looking for discret.

might not be the best but if the same size speaker and sub transform the sound then that's good enough for me.

thanks bm52
Post #65801 31st Mar 2011 10:08pm
Schulli

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi,

There are some good opinions about these 10cm Systems :
http://www.etongmbh.de/en/products/car-hif...1/pid/211/
Designed to Be Used directly with a headunit, they have a high Efficiency Factor.

But 10cm is 10cm, they can't give a Lot of Bass. ( and I mean a balanced Sound here, Not the disco stuff)

So many German defender Drivers use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-TS-WX11A-S...=8-1-spell additionally,
And seem to Be Quite happy with it. It fits behind the cubby Box, or under the seats.

Hth
Schulli
Post #65815 1st Apr 2011 7:02am
ken

United Kingdom 
there are some 6x9 pods on the bay that replace the standard ones however beware the sound is not much improved
Post #65817 1st Apr 2011 7:13am
wurzell

United Kingdom 
hi Very Happy i wouldnt bother with them i fitted the exact same speakers in my defender and they were no better than the originals imho they are now in the box in the roof of my workshop gathering dust, instead ive built a small box and fitted a pair of infiniti 6x9s and it sounds fantastic keeps swmbo Bow down happy anyway as its her car Thumbs Up
Post #65824 1st Apr 2011 8:14am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I fitted some pioneer’s in - ISTR they were the 6inch, but they may have been bigger...round to go where the rear 10cm speakers go

I had to increase the current speaker aperture - but other than that they were discreet and did improve the sound Mike
Post #65826 1st Apr 2011 8:49am
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
For those of you who don't fancy making MDF boxes for 6x9s, and want something that looks a bit more OEM, I have used a pair of these:

http://www.defendoor.co.uk/Defender-rear-speakers.php

Good quality, and come with various sized cutouts. I also find a bit of judicious use of dynamat behind the speakers works wonders! 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #65859 1st Apr 2011 11:34am
mse

szracer wrote:
For those of you who don't fancy making MDF boxes for 6x9s, and want something that looks a bit more OEM, I have used a pair of these:

http://www.defendoor.co.uk/Defender-rear-speakers.php

Good quality, and come with various sized cutouts. I also find a bit of judicious use of dynamat behind the speakers works wonders!

Thats basically what i did - it takes about 30 minutes and costs nothing

Click image to enlarge
 Mike
Post #65861 1st Apr 2011 11:47am
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
That's a tidy install Mike. Thumbs Up

I've just installed some Pioneer 6x9's in Defendoor pods, into a customers Puma 110 XS SW. The Defendoor pods are designed for pre-puma models, since the wheel arches are a different shape. I had to imporvise to make them fit, and had to re-trim with some additional black carpet to finish the job off properly.

I upgraded the front speakers to 10cm Pioneer two way's, as that's pretty much all you can get in there Rolling Eyes , and fitted some EDGE tweeters up top, which were a perfect fit.

Got an SVX type clarion subwoofer installed under the second row seats. These are only good for a bit of mid to low end fill, and should not be driven hard, as they will sound crap.

Fitted a Pioneer pop up screen head unit with NAV (can't remember model numbers), and the sound quality was absolutely superb.

Another major contributing factor, that nobody has mentioned, is vehicle sound deadening. The reason you have to turn up your stereo so loud, is to cover the noise from the car itself.

I used almost two trade packs of Dynamat Extreme to cover pretty much evey flat panel I could find (the whole roof, floor, sides, footwells), and the difference is staggering! It is just so quiet. Very Happy I pulled the car out of my workshop, and drove my brand new 110 XS SW in, and was very disapointed. Needless to say, my 110 is now half stripped out! Mr. Green
Post #66018 3rd Apr 2011 9:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Thanks - they fit in nicely i thought (with just enough room to the rear - between the speaker and body) and squarely within the puma's original housing.

The resess for the original speakers was all that needed to be removed to get those to fit and thus they fit perfectly and although the angle of the picutre doesnt look like it, they did fit perfectly with no overhang.

Those speakers did require me to make an adapter for the speaker connectors as they were tiny! Mike
Post #66032 3rd Apr 2011 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1