Home > Td5 > Turbo wastegate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
Turbo wastegate
Hi

Been suffering a lack of power most noticeable when trying to accelerate in 5th, checked MAF etc and in the end the issue seems to be a seized wastegate on the turbo. I managed to free it and give it a coat of WD40 but it was still pretty stiff and takes a lot of force to move back and forth. I then did the same again with Lithium grease which seems to resolve the issue until the engine gets hot when it seems to return, I'm assuming this is due caused by mechanism expanding.

I suppose my question is when dealing with a stiff seized wastegate what lubricant will work best/ at what point do I need to look at a replacement?
Post #701481 17th Apr 2018 11:25am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I'm not sure, if any lubricant survives the temperature of turbo. I was solving similar problem - first the wastegate was stuck open - no power, second in garage they tried to free it and used some grease, it was nice for a few km, then is started to stuck close - overboost, engine limp mode and no power. I have removed the wastegate actuator, and moved the westagate several time, to free it. I have also replaced the thin hose to the actuator with new hose clamps, and now it looks good for last week.
First I tried to free the wastegate with actuator connected, but it was not enough, and because of the spring in the actuator, I had no feeling for the wastegate free movement. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #701498 17th Apr 2018 1:06pm
Alextd5

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I think the only long term solution is to replace it. SP4x4 on eBay sell them for roughly £30. As far as I’m aware they are the only suppliers along with Forge motorsport but it’s 3x the price. I couldn’t recommend either But if I had to choose it would be the forge part as it looks well made.
Post #701559 17th Apr 2018 7:01pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Wastegate is internal part of hot part of turbo, don't mix it with actuator. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #701560 17th Apr 2018 7:05pm
Alextd5

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Apologies for not reading the post properly ! I’ll shut up!But... I used innotec deblock oil on a Mates and it hasn’t seized since, roughly 8 months ago. I took the actuator off so I could feel the arm move on the wastegate without the resistance of the actuator.
Post #701573 17th Apr 2018 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1