↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma Additional Driving Lights - Advice Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Puma Additional Driving Lights - Advice Please
I regularly drive my puma 130 from Chester to Milford Haven along such lovely roads as the A483 which can at time be a little bendy and full of surprises including livestock, rocks on the road etc. Although the 130 is only slightly slower compared to my Volvo (10 minutes slower on a 4 hour journey) it does lack something in the front wards illumination department. So I have resigned myself to spending some ££ on additional lights, or just accept that the livestock will not do too much damage to the body work when I do not see them in time.

So far I have decided that I need driving lights (i.e. wired in to main beam) I have never really understood the need for fog lights, I just don’t like them. I also want them bumper mounted for a number of reasons I don’t think roof mounted is for me, a) Will glare off the silver bonnet, b) Will clash with our demountable camper and reflect off it also, c) I just don’t like them.

We have AC fitted and hence the extended grill so we also have LR A Bar to protect the grill. As such lights between A Bar will have to be mounted so far forward that they will end up damaged, so I am leaning towards bumper top mounted lights just under the main head lights. In this position I think rectangular lights will look better and due to their low height will not suffer from the wobbling problems experienced by some larger round lights with bottom mounts.

Having looked at rectangular lights I have found very few that look good and have good reviews, one I have found is the Hella FF75, but I cannot find any reviews / comments.

Does the Puma wiring harness allow for additional driving lights (at say 2x55w) or is it necessary to wire in an addition relay?

So in summary I am looking for advice, guidance, comments and no doubt some abuse for my thoughts given above. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #64742 22nd Mar 2011 8:58pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Have you considered a lower cost upgrade to your headlights rather than the expense of additional lights? You can get a pair of clear lens headlights for less than £40, and with some higher spec H4 bulbs, such as Osram Nightbreaker Plus or anything else of a similar nature, you'd probably see a significant improvement. I have bought the bits to do mine, but haven't got round to it yet. If you want additional lights, fair enough, just a suggestion if you are just wanting improved vision.

Tris.
Post #64750 22nd Mar 2011 9:17pm
RFT

Thanks, I'll look into headlamp upgrade, I wonder if there are upgrades that can be easily adjusted between driving on the Left & Right as I hate putting those sticky things on at the ferry terminal.

Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #64751 22nd Mar 2011 9:22pm
Green Machine

These are the headlights that I bought. They also do some that have a pilot light in them too. There are lots of different upgrade H4 bulbs that you can buy, I went for Osram ones.

I haven't ever heard of anything that is suitable for use driving on both the left and right. I think you'd be unlikely to find anything as the beam pattern has to switch from one side to the other, which would basically mean mirroring the whole headlight. You never know though, might be worth some research! Hope the link is of help, gives you an idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about Thumbs Up
Post #64755 22nd Mar 2011 9:33pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I think these that Greenmachine fitted from Paddocks are the same as I fitted, with the Osram uprated (but still 55Watt) bulbs - really good lights although I do miss my KC Daylighters! And a strip of gaffer tape does the dipping problem on our regular French trips.

Cibie used to make a changeable pattern 7" headlight, fitted to Renault 4s I think but would be pre E marked and certainly pre H4 (P432? or something similar)

Lastly to reach the back of the bulbs to effect a L - R dip swap, would you have to remove the lights? If so you could just swap for LHD versions.
Post #64796 22nd Mar 2011 11:43pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
...sorry to ask, but what is the diference between those lamps you sugested and the original ones that come with our Defenders ? Embarassed Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #64798 22nd Mar 2011 11:48pm
Green Machine

lrmaniac wrote:
...sorry to ask, but what is the diference between those lamps you sugested and the original ones that come with our Defenders ? Embarassed

These ones have a clear lens and the beam focussing pattern is in the reflector at the back of the bowl. Standard Defender lamps have a smooth reflector (I think?) and the focussing pattern is moulded into the plastic lens. As I haven't installed them yet, I can't comment on the extent of the improvement, but have heard from many others that it is significant. I think having the clear lens, rather than the 'cloudy' effect of the standard units gives a clearer beam. For me, it's largely to do with looks! I just prefer the look of the clear lenses - I find the standard lights on my Td5 pretty adequate for most things.
Post #64799 22nd Mar 2011 11:53pm
ickle

Crystal lights, all the beam pattern is done with the reflector, dipped beam cut off is sharp, light output is better. The Osram bulbs are superb as well - better output for the same wattage.

Worth a try as they're not too expensive.
Post #64800 22nd Mar 2011 11:53pm
Green Machine

There you go! Two explanations at the same time! Thumbs Up
Post #64801 22nd Mar 2011 11:55pm
ickle

Is that information overload? - At least we said the same, wise men say the same, fools seldom differ! Laughing

Time for bed said Zebedee.
Post #64802 22nd Mar 2011 11:59pm
RFT

Ickle
I thought wise men rode camels
Are you in Broadway in Pembrokeshire?
Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #64808 23rd Mar 2011 1:09am
ickle

Hi RFT, no sunny Cotswolds!