↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 57 <123 45 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Er, they only appear to be around £30.

Last time I looked you couldn't get a satisfactory manservant for that price, only one rejected by society and probably unwashed and with attitude problems. Don't want a scruff in the back of the truck!

The ex-military ones seem to be ludicrous prices (think three figures) but the civvy ones are only around £30 to £35 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mantec-Tufflift-230/202189304895

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mantec-Tufflift-231/202189310588
Post #701474 17th Apr 2018 11:58am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I didn't realise that Mantec sell them. Mine is an ex-mil one but I didn't pay anywhere near a three figure sum for it Shocked It came with a large 'U' shaped clamp with centres to match the two holes in the mounting plate, which I assume clamps around some part of the Wolf spare wheel mount. This is the third one I've had on different vehicles, which have all needed to be adapted in different ways to suit the circumstances. This one was the easiest.

I actually met the guy that invented them, at Billing show back in 1990-something. He had a stand and was trying to sell them for £50 each but nobody was buying. He then later secured a contract to supply them for the side mounted spares on Wolf Defenders.

I'm not sure how one would fair on your wheel carrier. They do have quite long adjustable straps but they're more for taking up the difference between the sling mounting point and the wheel when positioned on the carrier. Looking at my picture with the wheel on the floor, you'd probably be ok if your final position is no more than about 6 inches higher than standard. Beyond that, you'd end up with the wheel hanging in mid air, which would defeat the object. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #701488 17th Apr 2018 12:52pm
donmacn

Thanks for these posts guys. I didn't even know such a thing existed, but it's catapulted itself close to the top of the list. I can manage the wheel the 'old fashioned' way, but this would make life a lot easier.

My 'manservant' has decided to leave home and go to Uni, so a plan B is required! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #701491 17th Apr 2018 1:12pm
blackwolf

I've ordered one to have a try. I think it is possible that I may have to stand the wheel on a block (or the folding stool thingy I carry to allow SWMBO to get in the truck more easily) in order to attach the wheel to the lifter, but it is easy enough to lift the wheel off the ground. What is a major pain (sometime literally!) is lifting the wheel so that the centre is at chest height, since this requires changing the grip on the wheel midway through the lift.

The theory is good, and we shall see if the device does the job, could be adapted to the job, or becomes the inspiration for a similar home-made device that does the job.

I have seen ex-Mil ones for much lower prices that the ridiculous £99.99 that the sole example currently on eBay is being offered for. Frustratingly there are many of the things on green Landrovers parked outside my office but I suspect there'd be trouble if I liberated one!
Post #701493 17th Apr 2018 1:17pm
Darrens110

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
It was good to see that my effort wasn't wasted this morning:

Click image to enlarge

Still looks pretty cool, though Cool

Click image to enlarge

Looks very nice mate!
Post #701503 17th Apr 2018 2:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

Why, thank you Smile

My most overt security measure arrived today, secured for a bargain on eBay:

Click image to enlarge

The pedal lock was put to use straight away but fitting the case will have to wait a few days.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 20th Apr 2018 10:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #701546 17th Apr 2018 7:27pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
In between doing some bits on my 90 and dodging the endless showers, I managed to get a few bits done to my 110 today. Simple stuff first - a VW '99' variable wiper relay:

Click image to enlarge

Next up was a badge for the front grill. This was a bit of a pain as I first had to remove a couple of security stickers, which are obviously designed to be difficult to remove Rolling Eyes Still, a bit of heat, scraping and meths and they eventually gave in.

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I adapted a Tuff Lift Wolf spare wheel sling for the rear door:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These things are great. They take a bit of faffing to set up properly but once done, make mounting the spare wheel much easier.

Is there a bolt on adaption for the spare wheel? With me been a short arse, man handling a wheel on the back of the door is not going to happen! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #701874 19th Apr 2018 5:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

Do you mean more than drilling one 16mm hole? I haven't seen the Mantec version but I'd guess that is designed to fit straight on. Darren

Post #701910 19th Apr 2018 8:47pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I fitted the Mantec one yesterday.. I have a spare wheel carrier with a bulldog wheel spacer fitted to it, it is to space it off the door and it helps with fitting the wheel nuts.. I just removed two of the wheel studs from the spacer to accommodate where the straps come through the two wheel holes.. if that makes sense.. I can now lift and lower the spare without too much difficulty.. whereas before it was impossible for me without using a table to lift it on first.. Embarassed 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #701948 20th Apr 2018 8:37am
blackwolf

If you follow the ebay links I posted above you can see the two different Mantec civilian products.

The one designed for the Mantec swing-away carrier has a metal bar which is ver similar to the military version pictured above (I think the bend angle may be different) and has the two holes as pictured above. Apparently there are two holes on the Mantec swing-away which match the two holes in the TuffLift bar and you simply bolt them together.

The other version, which Mantec says is designed for the standard LR door mount, has two toggles at the mount end of the straps which are similar if not the same as those at the wheel end, so presumably you put the toggles through two holes. I don't recall there being two holes on the standard door mount, so perhaps you have to drill them yourself.

Neither version is designed to fit on the same studs that the wheel mounts to, which I find strange since all mounts of any kind ultimately will have these studs, so you would think that a truly generic lifter would pick up on the studs and thus fit any mount yet invented.
Post #701959 20th Apr 2018 10:06am
LandRoverAnorak

I see what you mean. It looks like they've adapted their carrier to suit the standard Tufflift bracketry in the first one, which was probably the cheapest alternative, but I can't work out how the other one attaches Confused Darren

Post #702095 20th Apr 2018 10:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ardsafe
Whilst waiting for paint to dry on various parts of my 90, I fitted the Ardsafe for my new Ardcase pedal lock to the front of the seatbox. My USW has the hard, rubbery seat box cover rather than carpet, which makes quite a bulge over the catch for the seat box lid, so I decided to space the Ardsafe out slightly with some 6mm nylon offcuts. I also made some straps to go around the whole thing from double sided Velcro to keep the lock in place when not in use:

Click image to enlarge

The seatbox was marked as required and two 8mm holes drilled to mount the Ardsafe just above the rubber floor matts:

Click image to enlarge

The lock itself sits in there nicely and is properly restrained by the straps:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately, I've managed to clout my leg on it several times already so the jury is out on whether this was a good idea or not Rolling Eyes I may try attaching a foam cover to the straps to see if I can live with it.

In other news, I also fitted my most important accessory - my non-age-related number plate Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Somebody had stuck the old plates on with what looked like Araldite, which was interesting to remove Evil or Very Mad Still, the DVLA online process for swapping the plates around was nicely efficient. Darren

Post #702107 20th Apr 2018 10:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

NAS Lights
A day of mixed results Neutral

I started off with the intention to relocate the BBUS. Took the headlight apart only to find it doesn't have one! It hasn't already been moved either because I checked Rolling Eyes As I had it all apart though, I decided to fit a set of NAS lights that I've had for a while. Whilst doing so, I managed to blow the fuse for the LH indicators and the alarm, and I've now lost the three flashes when operating the central locking Crying or Very sad

Anyway, I think NAS lights are great and this will be the third Defender that I've fitted them to.

The fronts are mounted with Bolt-on-Bits plinths, which means they're a straight swap for the originals:

Click image to enlarge

I deliberately chose orange indicators, and I've changed the side repeaters for orange ones too, as I found the 'sea of grey' front end a bit lacking. I may change the look of the front further in future, but this will do for now:

Click image to enlarge

The rears are fitted with standard plinths, to which I've stuck neoprene foam gaskets. On previous vehicles I've drilled the body to suit these plinths but, this time, I had a bright idea and used a front plinth to drill matching holes in the rears, so that they use the existing fixings too:

Click image to enlarge

And the finished article, nice and visible:

Click image to enlarge

All are fitted with nice, shiny stainless screws. Darren

Post #702216 21st Apr 2018 7:57pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Re: Ardsafe

Click image to enlarge

''Unfortunately, I've managed to clout my leg on it several times already so the jury is out on whether this was a good idea or not Rolling Eyes I may try attaching a foam cover to the straps to see if I can live with it''.

Back last September when my usw arrived i fitted the safe just the same as you, After a few weeks and scraped legs I moved it to sit just in front of the second row seats. I fixed it with a strong elastic cord rather than drilling, it is secure and comes out for cleaning the carpets and floor with ease. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #702219 21st Apr 2018 8:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
A day of mixed results Neutral

I started off with the intention to relocate the BBUS. Took the headlight apart only to find it doesn't have one! It hasn't already been moved either because I checked Rolling Eyes

Scratch that. Through an unfortunate series of events including trying to fix my hazard lights and an incident with a jet wash, I got to demonstrate both of my alarms to the entire neighbourhood. They were delighted. So, the BBUS definitely went off when I pulled the fuse for the main alarm and sounded different to the main alarm, which went off due to water in one of the door contacts. I just don't know where it is but tracking it down will be a job for another day.

On the plus side, I found yet another blown fuse (that's four) which fixed my hazards. The moral of this story is don't fiddle with anything electric whilst the vehicle is locked Rolling Eyes

Details here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post702334.html#702334 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 20th Nov 2022 5:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #702374 22nd Apr 2018 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 57 <123 45 ... 555657>