↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 57 <123 ... 242526 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
90 Dreamer wrote:
with the OE step rivnut i simply "massaged" it so it was flush when i installed the NAS rear step...............

Ah, I didn't want to take any chances of leaving any unnecessary nooks and crannies for rust to take hold. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #794752 23rd Sep 2019 8:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rosco wrote:
Looking good Darren. Thumbs Up

Out of interest how big a job is it switching to 13 pin electrics? I currently only have the 7 pin 'N' socket on mine and wondered whether future proofing with 13 pin is a worthwhile upgrade.

It depends, to an extent, on how you do it. As you don't have the 12S socket anyway, I'd be inclined to buy a complete 13 pin kit and install it from scratch. LR wiring kits are excellent and whilst it's a bit of a faff crawling around underneath to do so, they fit very well indeed.

The other consideration is the socket position. I favour fitting to the recess in the rear crossmember but it is more involved than on a regular mounting plate attached to the tow bar.

In my case, as I already have both 7 pin electrics installed, I'm going to cut the plugs off and install a waterproof junction box from which I can take a single 12 core cable to the new socket, which will hopefully be next weekends' job. I've even made myself a conversion chart to make the wiring easier:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Sep 2019 8:29am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #794757 23rd Sep 2019 8:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

Devon-Rover wrote:
Thumbs Up Looking good. the hitch is a nicely made bit of kit.

The NAS blanking plug will look good too Wink Whistle

https://www.lrdirect.com/ANR3196-Plug-Blanking/

Ah, I have a different cunning plan in mind. Not quite ready to share that one yet, though Whistle Darren

Post #794758 23rd Sep 2019 8:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

AJC wrote:
I have the GG AT3'S on my D4 and they're superb so agree with you on the tyre choice.

I also have the same safari hitch on my Defender. mine not quite a shiny as yours though

I'm really impressed with them, so far. If they're as good in the cold weather as my previous AT2's were, I'll be delighted. Darren

Post #794759 23rd Sep 2019 8:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

Quite literally, the missing link for my receiver hitch arrived today (all the way from Belgium, which was cheaper than any UK suppliers Rolling Eyes ):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's a very sexy lump of polished aluminium that may end up being painted yellow... Whistle Darren

Post #795292 26th Sep 2019 9:56pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Looks very smart Darren, perhaps black rather than yellow? Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #795295 26th Sep 2019 10:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Quite literally, the missing link for my receiver hitch arrived today (all the way from Belgium, which was cheaper than any UK suppliers Rolling Eyes ):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's a very sexy lump of polished aluminium that may end up being painted yellow... Whistle

I hope very much that it's not aluminium. It should be steel billet.
Post #795297 26th Sep 2019 10:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Having now checked, it's not actually the same as the one in the picture on the advert either, which does appear to be steel. I have made enquiries with the vendor... Darren

Post #795536 28th Sep 2019 12:19am
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking great ask always pal, Why did you go for this setup? I like the idea of a removerable towbar but then again its also stops people sitting up the arse of the car. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #795539 28th Sep 2019 1:17am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
blackwolf wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's a very sexy lump of polished aluminium that may end up being painted yellow... Whistle

I hope very much that it's not aluminium. It should be steel billet.

Why not?

Factor 55 do a Ali one https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/

Kings in AUS do an alli one https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure...ackle.html

the maxtrax THI is ally http://www.exploringelements.com/maxtrax-thi/

A4A own range campboss hitch is ally too https://www.all4adventure.com/product/boss-hitch/

Not being difficult but why not an aluminium receiver recovery point instead of heavier steel? When funds allow I will go over to a alli softshackle compatible one Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #795575 28th Sep 2019 11:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I stand corrected! Aluminium is good! Aluminium is the new steel!

Every day is a school day. Thumbs Up
Post #795612 28th Sep 2019 3:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

That's all a bit more encouraging Smile

Procta wrote:
looking great ask always pal, Why did you go for this setup? I like the idea of a removerable towbar but then again its also stops people sitting up the arse of the car.

Novelty value, as much as anything. I don't really need a tow bar anymore but I wanted a strong recovery point and I've never had a receiver hitch before. Darren

Post #795666 28th Sep 2019 8:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Towing Electrics - Part 1
Todays' task was to sort out the towing electrics that had been cable tied up out of the way since removing the regular tow bar. I also want to convert from twin sockets to a single 13 pin, so a junction box was the order of the day.

I've used a waterproof box, mounted to a spare hole in the fuel tank strap, just under the fuel filler. As there's only one mounting point, I've beefed up the bottom edge of the box with a strip of 6mm plastic and it's fixed with stainless M8 bolts and penny washers:

Click image to enlarge

Into the back of the box are three 20mm glands, one each for the 12N, 12S and 13 pin wiring, and a strip of choc block with which to make the conversion.

Into the rear end of the box is a two pin waterproof socket, more of which later.

The box is positioned behind the mud flap and Gwyn Lewis mud shield, so is hopefully quite well protected:

Click image to enlarge

I've still got to install the 13 pin socket and connect it up. Darren

Post #795670 28th Sep 2019 8:27pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Devon-Rover wrote:
Why not?

Because their quoted tensile strength is still less than boggo standard mild/carbon steel - before you even bother going into the high-tensile stuff.

The main issue with aluminium won't be the tensile strength of it but the fact that it's a softer material than steel which means that the hole will become oval quicker. Then that sets off a chain reaction as you start shock loading it more and start deforming it even more. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #795685 28th Sep 2019 9:26pm
LandRoverAnorak

Receiver Hitch - Brake Light
And now for something completely frivolous Laughing

Whilst researching receiver hitches, I came across various accessories for them, which included this auxiliary LED brake light:

Click image to enlarge

As I knew that I'd be re-wiring the towing electrics anyway, I thought what the hell.

As delivered, it came with a strange, flat, four pin plug, which I gather is the standard in the US. The four connections were supposedly earth, brake, left indicator and right indicator. A quick test with a 12v supply identified the earth and the stop light supply (I couldn't make the other two connections do anything) and so the lamp was quickly dismantled in order to adapt the wiring suit my purpose:

Click image to enlarge

A few snips with the cutters and a touch of the soldering iron and heat gun saw a new 2-core cable attached to the appropriate wires and the redundant ones sealed off with heat shrink:

Click image to enlarge

With everything tested, the lamp was re-assembled and a waterproof 2-pin plug soldered to the end of the new cable:

Click image to enlarge

At the rear of the lamp. the new cable was glued to the inside of one of the corners to prevent it fouling the securing pin holes:

Click image to enlarge

With the lamp installed in the hitch, it was plugged into the socket fitted for the purpose in the towing electrics junction box described above:

Click image to enlarge

And the thing in operation:

Click image to enlarge

This is one of those things that I don't really need and didn't even know that I wanted, but it does make me smile Cool Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 7th Sep 2021 9:08am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #795932 29th Sep 2019 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 57 <123 ... 242526 ... 555657>