Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 57 <123 ... 111213 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: Auxillary Electrics Pt 5 - Wiring
Thanks, Clayton.

ozzie1989 wrote:
Alternatively you could just provide a permanent feed to your backlights and earth them through the light feed?

Yeah, that's almost certainly what I'll do.

New on-off switches arrived today so I need to get my act together and take it all apart again. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #728398 10th Sep 2018 8:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

Scratch that. I've just remembered that the backlight in the LR switches share an earth with the main switched circuit so it must be the 12v supply that is switched. I'll have to feed them via a relay that has its' earth switched by the rear door. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #728492 11th Sep 2018 12:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

Bumper
Today my 110 was treated to a new front bumper to replace the rotten original (at only five years old Rolling Eyes ). I've umm'ed and ahh'ed about what to replace it with for a while but eventually settled on a galvanised version of the standard one. Not that it was particularly a factor but I was amazed at how cheap it was - about £45 from Paddocks. It arrived with a Britpart sticker on but despite that, it's absolutely fine.

First job after unpacking was a quick wipe over with white spirit to degrease and remove the sticker, before a coat of T wash to key the galv coating:

Click image to enlarge

After washing, this was followed by a couple of coats of primer and then four coats of acrylic satin black.

With the old bumper removed and laid next to the new, the extent of corrosion was really apparent:

Click image to enlarge

As mentioned earlier, I've recently had the vehicle undersealed, but of course it can't get into the front dumb irons with the bumper in place:

Click image to enlarge

I therefore took the opportunity to get some Dinitrol into all of the hidden nooks and crannies:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The new bumper was fitted with new stainless bolts and these natty caps:

Click image to enlarge

Being galvanised, the finish isn't quite as smooth as one that's been powder coated. The trade off though, is that it won't rust and flake off in five minutes time:

Click image to enlarge

I must remember to refit the number plate...

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Sep 2020 9:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #729132 15th Sep 2018 8:01pm
L110CDL

England 
That looks very nice and a good seeing to the dumb irons as well and a great piece of mind that it's a bit more protected against the elements Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #729353 16th Sep 2018 7:45pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile

I did manage to remember the number plate, too:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #729366 16th Sep 2018 8:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Good to see that Thumbs Up you soon would of been pulled over for not having it on Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #729375 16th Sep 2018 8:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

After a chance purchase at Newbury today, I now have rear mud flaps that have the LR logo on them:

Click image to enlarge

Small pleasures... Whistle Darren

Post #732007 30th Sep 2018 4:59pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking good there! Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #732045 30th Sep 2018 7:14pm
L110CDL

England 
They do make a lot of difference LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #732301 1st Oct 2018 8:06pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Looking really nice LRA Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #732320 1st Oct 2018 9:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

Reverse Light Switch
Thanks, all Cool

Yesterday's task was to replace the reverse light switch, which failed an unknown amount of time ago. The first step was to remove the cubby box (well, the first step was really to remove all of the crap that seems to accumulate in the cubby box), which left me with a large plug for the amp cabling sticking out of the top of the access panel, like so:

Click image to enlarge

I made two small cuts to allow the centre section of matting to be completely removed (it fits back in snugly afterwards) and with the release of four screws to allow the access panel to also be removed, I was left with this:

Click image to enlarge

The green arrow points forward to where the switch is concealed, just to the left of the gearstick as shown below:

Click image to enlarge

That picture makes it look deceptively accessible but getting a spanner on it is a nightmare. Even with all of the clips released, the large cable bundle in front can't be moved very far at all, which gives one of those situations where you can either see it or touch it but not both at the same time!

It was at this point in proceedings that I realised that I didn't actually have a spanner that would fit Rolling Eyes The switch requires a 22mm spanner, which was apparently a size that I'd never needed before in 30-odd years of Land Rovering. Anyway, after a bit of head scratching, I found an old Imperial spanner that could be persuaded to fit by opening it out with a file. I also cut it shorter to allow it to swing in the confined space available:

Click image to enlarge

After much cursing, I eventually coaxed the old switch out and I was relieved to find that it was identical to the replacement that I'd bought:

Click image to enlarge

The latter was a 'blue box' item but fits and works perfectly and can hardly be much worse that the original that failed in under 40k miles.

With the switch removed, it's possible to get a good look at the two pin connector for it. This has a release tab on one of the narrow sides that needs to be pushed in whilst the body is levered off of the end of the switch. In a more accessible location it'd be easy, but in this case it involved a long screwdriver to push the tab and another to do the levering. It was akin to key hole surgery.

Click image to enlarge

Re-fitting, as the saying goes, is the reverse of removal and is, on the whole, marginally easier.

And so I now have working reversing lights, which in turn means my rear work lights now operate automatically, which is nice. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 9th Oct 2018 9:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #733726 8th Oct 2018 9:34pm
L110CDL

England 
Great bit of quick thinking on the spanner part and getting the job all done Thumbs Up a lot of cursing does help from time to time i find Laughing and nice that you got your lights on the back working now just in time for the shorter days Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #733937 9th Oct 2018 8:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, it was the darker evenings that prompted me to do it, if I'm honest. Visibility out of the rear of a USW is limited at the best of times but at night it's even worse. The work lights help tremendously. Darren

Post #733950 9th Oct 2018 9:18pm
L110CDL

England 
Know what you mean with the extra light at the rear to help when reversing Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #733954 9th Oct 2018 9:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

Interior Lighting Update
Earlier in the thread, I described how I'd fitted some square LED panels to the interior lights and how they were so much brighter than the originals. Unfortunately though, as the nights have drawn in I noticed that they all had a low powered glow when set to 'auto'. It was a shame as I'd used them in previous Land Rovers without issue, but at least they were only cheap.

However, it's been driving me mad and so a solution was required. That came in the form of these LED units, purchased from Conrad Electronics:

Click image to enlarge

https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/...AREA_22519

With postage, they are about five times the cost of the other LED's but they are worth every penny. Not only don't they glow when 'off', they're very bright and produce a much warmer light that's close to the original filament bulbs.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #735913 20th Oct 2018 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 57 <123 ... 111213 ... 555657>