↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Paul McCartney.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
The EXTRAS on Mull of Kintyre were treated like poo on a shoe but he never shared his No1 hit royalties in the area.
Post #669811 9th Dec 2017 1:59am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
mk1collector wrote:
Hank marvin, as in the shadows? I'm only 41 so you don't have to be that old to know him.

That's good then, Apache would probably be my all time instrumental. Although Hank's lived in Aussie for years, He's probably not as well known here as he is over in the U.K.
Pickles.
Post #669815 9th Dec 2017 4:04am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yes, I do know a little about music - never mind wot Land Rover you regret selling, my biggest regret is a pre-1966 (clover tuning pegs) Fender Jazz Bass, bought when I had to use a thinner-necked guitar ‘cos of damage to my left hand*

McCartney, of course, learnt his trade on a Hofner Bass, easier to string left-handed and, if I’m not mistaken, shorter length (wimp!). I first saw the Beatles live on my 15th birthday in March 1963, they were the THIRD from top of the bill, behind Tommie Roe and Chris Montez (who?). By September they were back again at the Granada East Ham, Beatlemania had taken over and the rest is history.

My preference was for black music, privileged to see the Stax tour twice, Fats Domino when his support act was the Bee Gees on their first trip outside Australia, and James Brown more times than I can remember. They don’t write lyrics anymore like “Come here you woman, stop all that yakety-yak. Don’t make me nervous when I’m holding a baseball bat” (Big Joe Turner’s “Honey Hush”).

But if ever one did write a music book, the Shadows would provide everything: Hank Marvin’s Shadow Walk inspired every spotty glasses-wearing kid that he could look cool, Jet Harris’ alcoholism…

Oh the good old days…

Peter

* Damage? In a fight - razors and knuckle dusters only allowed - one kid lost an eye, another a thumb (we never did find it) and I deflected a slash aimed it my face. After a bit of surgery and a lot of physio I got full flexibility back, but never the speed
Post #669848 9th Dec 2017 1:10pm
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
He was shafted by a wooden leg . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #669869 9th Dec 2017 4:13pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Birdy wrote:
Yes, I do know a little about music - never mind wot Land Rover you regret selling, my biggest regret is a pre-1966 (clover tuning pegs) Fender Jazz Bass, bought when I had to use a thinner-necked guitar ‘cos of damage to my left hand*

McCartney, of course, learnt his trade on a Hofner Bass, easier to string left-handed and, if I’m not mistaken, shorter length (wimp!). I first saw the Beatles live on my 15th birthday in March 1963, they were the THIRD from top of the bill, behind Tommie Roe and Chris Montez (who?). By September they were back again at the Granada East Ham, Beatlemania had taken over and the rest is history.

My preference was for black music, privileged to see the Stax tour twice, Fats Domino when his support act was the Bee Gees on their first trip outside Australia, and James Brown more times than I can remember. They don’t write lyrics anymore like “Come here you woman, stop all that yakety-yak. Don’t make me nervous when I’m holding a baseball bat” (Big Joe Turner’s “Honey Hush”).

But if ever one did write a music book, the Shadows would provide everything: Hank Marvin’s Shadow Walk inspired every spotty glasses-wearing kid that he could look cool, Jet Harris’ alcoholism…

Oh the good old days…

Peter

* Damage? In a fight - razors and knuckle dusters only allowed - one kid lost an eye, another a thumb (we never did find it) and I deflected a slash aimed it my face. After a bit of surgery and a lot of physio I got full flexibility back, but never the speed

Good to hear from a fellow Shadows fan. I've seen them 3 times down here, last time was with Cliff's farewell concert. But I absolutely LOVE The Shadows, particularly Hank Marvin,...I was hoping he would do some local concerts, he does, but he's into that Gypsy Jazz stuff which is not my go. A well known Aussie guitarist, John Farrah played wirh Hank for a while,..Marvin Welsh & Farrah I think they called themselves.
A few of my Hank/Shadows favorites: Apache, Another Day in paradise, Riders in the sky, FBI,, Atlantis, Peace Pipe etc etc!
Pickles.
Post #669928 9th Dec 2017 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123