↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Thank you
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think it is worth remembering that conmen such as the loathsome "coatseyyy" are very good at doing what they do, and if there is a lesson to be learned from this it is more about being vigilant at all times than that there is any endemic weakness with the Defender2 forum. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the warning signs were there.

Many of the suggestions made in the immediate aftermath either put a ridiculous workload on Martin, put an unacceptable liability on Martin, or would simply be ineffective. For example, the suggestion that a member has to provide feedback to another - look at eBay, the scammers and fraudsters simply set up mulitple accounts and use them to leave themselves feedback. It would happen here to if a determined conman came along, and if all the resources that eBay has can't stop it there is little hope that Def2 could.

In all the time I have been involved with this forum, this is (as far as I know) the first time it has been systematically targeted by a criminal, and that, I think, says a lot for the members on here. My feeling is that we should all be on our guard, but not over-react. I feel the deepest sympathy for those who have been robbed and I am not belittling their loss, if I was one I would be livid and looking for any practical way to get even.

In the world in which I work on a daily basis the matter of information security is a constant worry, and we could all use this as a general reminder to be careful about the information which we make available on line. It is frankly staggering the amount of personal information that users of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media (and this forum is a form of social media) give away.

So let us congratulate Martin on the first-class job he does with this forum and his others, and reassure him that this unsavoury incident is not his fault. Let us also be very careful about who we give information to (this is an open forum after all) and who we give money (or seats for that matter) to.

Let us also get back to being the friendly, helpful, and caring group that we are best at.
Post #664169 14th Nov 2017 11:40am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Couldn't agree more ...Well said Blackwolf Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

N.
Post #664418 15th Nov 2017 7:39am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
blackwolf wrote:
I think it is worth remembering that conmen such as the loathsome "coatseyyy" are very good at doing what they do, and if there is a lesson to be learned from this it is more about being vigilant at all times than that there is any endemic weakness with the Defender2 forum. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the warning signs were there.

Many of the suggestions made in the immediate aftermath either put a ridiculous workload on Martin, put an unacceptable liability on Martin, or would simply be ineffective. For example, the suggestion that a member has to provide feedback to another - look at eBay, the scammers and fraudsters simply set up mulitple accounts and use them to leave themselves feedback. It would happen here to if a determined conman came along, and if all the resources that eBay has can't stop it there is little hope that Def2 could.

In all the time I have been involved with this forum, this is (as far as I know) the first time it has been systematically targeted by a criminal, and that, I think, says a lot for the members on here. My feeling is that we should all be on our guard, but not over-react. I feel the deepest sympathy for those who have been robbed and I am not belittling their loss, if I was one I would be livid and looking for any practical way to get even.

In the world in which I work on a daily basis the matter of information security is a constant worry, and we could all use this as a general reminder to be careful about the information which we make available on line. It is frankly staggering the amount of personal information that users of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media (and this forum is a form of social media) give away.

So let us congratulate Martin on the first-class job he does with this forum and his others, and reassure him that this unsavoury incident is not his fault. Let us also be very careful about who we give information to (this is an open forum after all) and who we give money (or seats for that matter) to.

Let us also get back to being the friendly, helpful, and caring group that we are best at.

Well said mate Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664475 15th Nov 2017 12:05pm
PK1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nidge wrote:
Couldn't agree more ...Well said Blackwolf Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

N.

Totally agree Thumbs Up Defender 110 TDCi XS SW
Range Rover Sport HSE
Post #664502 15th Nov 2017 1:56pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:

actually, the buyer/seller feedback threads on other forums I've used is very effective. It gives the users a view of who's done deals with who. For example if one member has feedback from several well established members, it can give you some confidence that the seller is more likely to be genuine.

If they have comments from a load of low posters, or people with no feedback themselves, it also paints a picture.

Its not fool proof but it helps give another pieces of information for potential buyers to make their own choice. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #664503 15th Nov 2017 2:12pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Well said blackwolf Thumbs Up
Post #664507 15th Nov 2017 2:20pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
The classifieds on all forums tend to go a bit crazy in the run up to Christmas, buying gifts for others and selling unwanted items to put towards their families, this forum appears to be no different, it was quite quiet up until recently. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664508 15th Nov 2017 2:20pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks for all the kind comments about the site and me. I'm blushing.

We will sort out a solution to this and make the forums as safe as possible to trade on. It'll take a while I know for trust to be rebuilt but the support is great and I'm sure we'll get there Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #664527 15th Nov 2017 3:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diduan

Bulgaria 
I am here for quite a while now and my feedback is that this forum is by far the best offroad place on the internet. It is a pleasure to read here.

In this very aggressive world, I am impressed how gentleman-like conflicts are solved by the moderator(s?) and how inappropriate content is handled. This is not easy nowadays.

Thank You👍 Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #945508 12th Mar 2022 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123