↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Thank you
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
As a relatively new member on this or any other forum ,I would like to say a few words,I have spent a life time buying and selling and have seen most tricks ,Word Association has been blamed a number of other have suggest site security could be better the truth is this man is a full time con man who likens this to his day job just as most of us go to work so does he,what ever you do he's working out how to get round the fence's put up,we on this forum have been hit hard in the pocket and harder in trust,please remember all the good deals.Lets look at this from a different angle if you look though his posts on this forum and his gallery you can see how he's built up the con and then how he wanted payment should rang some bells.Please look because this is how WE stop this kind of fraud .Hats off to Martin for handling the fall out very well.Just one more thing I lost £193.00.
Post #663401 11th Nov 2017 11:57am
nitram17

Screbble wrote:
Hear hear!

This is an excellent forum and Martin does an excellent job.

I only discovered the recent scam this morning and my immediate reaction was both anger and upset for those fellow members who have been caught up in it.

I have very recently been caught up in a fraud (completely unrelated to this forum or Land Rovers) and the stress and anxiety is significant. There must be something in the air - and it's toxic.

Fortunately for me, or maybe it is just luck, I wasn't scammed by the forum member, however I am genuinely upset for those who were. I wish there was more we could do - although Martin is certainly doing a great deal already.

I have bought and sold via this forum and each and every occasion has been overwhelmingly positive - we are a good bunch!

Like many of you, I hope that justice will be done - whatever that may look like.

Will

PS and continuing the Dorsetsmith appreciation theme - great bloke, providing so much direct and indirect support - exactly what this forum is about!

Yes Martin does a great job and if some scumbag has been using the site for pond life activities well its not martins fault .In that spirit as a forum member i would like to request a pm or a general information post on the subject as i have seen the thank you post and i have searched scam and i an non the wiser on the type of scam and i would like to try and avoid the the traps these bastrades set!.............I am not asking for names or anything like that ,just a little info of the scam ,their modus operandi! I have done transactions with people on this forum before and i have found them all to be honest and very helpful and i hope to continue to do so in the future........if Martin has already done something this and i have missed it can someone point me to it!
Post #663407 11th Nov 2017 12:13pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I would suggest a pm to Martin may be the best way to get details about what has gone on but don’t expect a quick reply as he is probably working on the fallout.

There was a thread running last night about what has happened and Martin was making it a private thread for those affected, there are a few.

Martin does a fantastic job with this forum but unfortunately what has happened is almost impossible to detect and stop.

I have been a member on here for eight years and had many dealings with members, buying, selling and personally meeting them and never had an issue and hopefully that will continue.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #663416 11th Nov 2017 12:36pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
A Big plus one for Martin, and the many genuine users Mr. Green
Post #663418 11th Nov 2017 12:43pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
sorry if this causes a bit up roar, but what I have missed? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #663473 11th Nov 2017 4:48pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Unfortunately a fraudster has been in our midst and taken a substantial amount of money from a number of forum members for non existent items Evil or Very Mad 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #663475 11th Nov 2017 4:54pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I have heard of this sort of thing happening years ago, the scammer had been doing it on a number of forums, so it might be worth checking that out mind, The arse wipe had stole 1000s of pounds from one forum and then moved on to another.
They did catch him in the end, one member did a lot of digging and went to where the scammer lived, discovered who he was and pinned him down and the police got involved there and then, Laugh was the arse wipe I think had already did time for stealing.
Shame really as it sort of pushes trust out of the window, and makes admins and the site owners lives a lot harder than it needs to be.
pug306.net ended up making you become a donator before you could sell anything sadly, that way they had the details of everyone so if things did turn sour they could help out. Since they introduced that, no one hardly got bumped etc.
An old metro site I used to go on, was rife of people getting bumped, but that was the nature of most on there sadly. I fell victim twice, 500 quid engine that turned out to be scrap, and engine loom that had been converted badly, which nearly caused a electrical fire in the engine bay of my car. which was a shame as it really does bring a club down and gives it a bad name.
Here reminds me very much like the metro owners club, everyones friendly and helping each other out, the admin staff jump on things there and then etc. Which was very rare as there was no trouble at all. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #663480 11th Nov 2017 5:45pm
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Do we know who this fraudster is???
Username???

But thanks again martin ...gr8 guy, great site and great help Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #663491 11th Nov 2017 6:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Yes Martin does a good job so Thumbs Up to him.

However what makes this a great forum is the forum users.

Most forum users use intelligible English rather then the gobblygook of text language.

Yes people can have differing opinions but in general terms that difference is dealt with respectfully.

Have a look at the number of moderators on this forum compared to other sites. No moderators at all here, just Martin as admin which speaks volumes for the standard on this forum.

Brendan
Post #663558 11th Nov 2017 9:49pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Well Said Brendan
Well said Brendan!

... and another three cheers to Martin! ****CENSORED****
Post #663751 12th Nov 2017 6:30pm
L110CDL

England 
Totally agree with all the reply's given Thumbs Up

3 more cheer's for Martin Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #663877 13th Nov 2017 12:14am
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
That's a real shame. I sympathise with all those involved.
Hopefully the trust between forum members hasn't been damaged too much.
Post #664123 14th Nov 2017 5:48am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
I'd have to agree with Brendan, the level of the membership here is more akin to a paid membership of other forums i've used in the past.

Testament to the way Martin runs things Thumbs Up

I've brought several small items off members on here and would do so again! 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664136 14th Nov 2017 8:35am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes I would agree with Brendan's comments as well Thumbs Up

Another thanks Martin from me, and as all have said, please don't take this personally

Bow down Bow down Bow down
Post #664147 14th Nov 2017 9:22am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Martin wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words. Unfortunately it's a bit tricky not to take it personally at the moment Evil or Very Mad

Agreed with all other posts. Very sorry to hear that members lost out to this scam, what a @#€%¤$&.

And Martin, you do a genuinely sterling job on what is by far and away my favourite site. Don't take it personally, your efforts are second to none but could not have prevented this from happening. It's sadly the darker side of the internet and just an aspect of 'modern life'. Your continued efforts will no doubt move the site from strength to strength and ensure we members can continue to indulge in our obsession for box-shaped cars, with like minded nutcases. Power to you Martin Bow down Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #664157 14th Nov 2017 10:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>