↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > who knows ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
who knows ?
Post #658108 18th Oct 2017 2:13pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I think the only 'guarantee' so far is that all future Land Rovers will ultimately fall into one of three family groups Range Rover, Discovery and Defender... we don't really know anything about the replacement Defender other than how it has been portrayed as a symbol... (probably).

SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #658115 18th Oct 2017 2:43pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
"he [McGovern] has successfully evolved Land Rover's design language while keeping the brand true to its roots".

Censored .
Post #658120 18th Oct 2017 3:10pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
So still at least another year at the earliest before any debut Whistle Laughing
Post #658129 18th Oct 2017 3:36pm
dolomite

One year more provided that they find the necessary work force in Slovakia:

https://www.ft.com/content/0a9ba710-62f7-11e7-8814-0ac7eb84e5f1

Land Rover, change the plan, build it in Romania !
Post #658583 20th Oct 2017 3:48pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
So, just to be clear; it's not going to be British in any way, then? Financed by an Indian company and built in Slovakia. I was hoping that JLR would see (like Bentley does) that a 'British' car actually needs to be built here, even if it's parts are foreign and the money all goes to a foreign company. Even more reason to buy the Ineos, then.

I've had quite a few British cars in my life, but currently own a German one. I was feeling a bit guilty about considering foreign cars (in the future), but I'm not, now. We just tried to buy a British washing machine - yes, a British company called Ebac have started making them in England. It was expensive at nearly £400. When we went to buy, they said there's a hold-up as they couldn't get a supply of concrete blocks (the stability, inside)! So we've just bought one for £160 instead and it's being delivered tomorrow. Sigh!

dolomite, that link is to a paywalled article. Now left.
Post #658755 21st Oct 2017 4:35pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
That Ebac looks interesting. I got fed up of washing machines breaking when the kids were little so invested in a Miele at nearly £900, it came with a 10 year warranty and we have had it for 13 years now and never had to call them out.

When it does eventually give up I will investigate Ebac. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #658773 21st Oct 2017 5:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
We have always tried to buy British if we can, and I'm actually building a website listing all goods that are made here - but made here by truly British companies (so JLR are not on it!). You'd be surprised what is actually made here. Lots of kitchen stuff by Dualit, for example. We even managed to buy a British flatscreen TV called Cello. Sometimes, we have to pay over the odds, but I think we should be supporting our own workers, other countries do. We still can't buy a bread maker though. Every single one is made in China, even the Japanese ones! We don't expect our £160 washing machine to last for too long, so will look at Ebac again. Now left.
Post #658778 21st Oct 2017 6:10pm
dolomite

What puddle ? sorry, I managed to read it free first time.. I have copied the link again..

https://www.ft.com/content/0a9ba710-62f7-11e7-8814-0ac7eb84e5f1
Post #658818 21st Oct 2017 8:35pm
NMBRPL8

Australia 
I think the only 'guarantee' so far is that all future Land Rovers will ultimately fall into one of three family groups Range Rover, Discovery and Defender...

... and Road Rover, City Rover, Sea Rover before branching off into household appliances Wash Rover, Suck Rover and toothbrushes before finally developing a product that is the ultimate consolidation of the brand's philosophy...
https://www.landrover.com.au/explore-land-...overn.html
Post #658848 21st Oct 2017 11:08pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
If you listen to JLR prattling on about the word 'premium' you'd think that their products came top in all the reliability surveys. But we (on here) all know the truth. I think I'm right in saying that out of the JD Power survey of the top 20, one Jaguar car came in at 9th - but that was it. So what does 'premium' mean? The top cars in the survey were Toyota and Skoda. This McGovern bloke should understand what JLR is all about - 4x4s. If I were in charge 10 years ago, I would have made damn sure that the Defender really was the best in the world, and no one would have to go to after-market parts to beef it up. I would have made sure that the chassis were all galvanised! Start with your core product, then all the products that you add on (RR, Disco) all have the same unbeatable and well-engineered parts PLUS luxury interiors. Now THAT would be 'premium'. You'd build-in reliability and gain a reputation as the number one product you'd want out in the desert. Instead, popular opinion seems to suggest (again) that that would be a Toyota pick-up truck. Instead what this McGovern bloke has done is to puff up JLR's reputation as a supplier of footballer's wives' cars. The decision to use Victoria Beckham said it all! What a choice to promote a car - a real footballer's wife?!? Now they go and top it all by constantly delaying the new Defender and looking to build it abroad. Now left.
Post #658865 22nd Oct 2017 8:14am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I should apologise for ranting. I had to get up at 7.20 on a Sunday morning for Currys to deliver our washing machine! So I'm not the happiest chappie on the street. Now left.
Post #658866 22nd Oct 2017 8:15am
NMBRPL8

Australia 
Dont apologise. Great post.
Post #658910 22nd Oct 2017 1:13pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Agree Thumbs Up

A company that doesn't want my custom won't be getting it.
Post #658951 22nd Oct 2017 4:33pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
In today’s markets, premium and quality are not the same thing. You have to go back in time to an 80s Merc or something to see where the two things coincided. Maybe the G Wagon still has both, but not much else. Today, I’d argue a Land Cruiser is quality, but a Q7 is premium. Premium is just a veneer of luxury Givng the illusion of quality which is why Audi can sell tarted up Ibizas as the A1. People just aren’t prepared to pay for real quality in enough volume to make it worth car makers bothering. Land Rover knows that. Plus McGovern is a stylist, not an engineer which says a lot about where the priorities lie. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #658954 22nd Oct 2017 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>