↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Toxic smell from exhaust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dieselhead

Get ur EGR switched off in re map & blank like I did & you wont have that crap build up Thumbs Up Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #666332 22nd Nov 2017 10:08pm
ziduz

Hong Kong 
Hi Bluericky,

I wonder if you have found out what the cause is? Because I am having the same problem, and I don't know what the cause is. But I am going to replace the injector and clean up the EGR as of right now. I wonder if you have any insight?
Post #694908 20th Mar 2018 12:36pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I had two failed injectors and bad seals so oil was dripping past and into the cylinders . I had a tune from BAS as well which closed off the EGR , it’s definitely better but I’m still getting issues with blue smoke both at start up when cold and when coasting downhill in gear, again when cold.
It’s done relatively high mileage so really I ought to be taking the head off as my gut tells me it’s probably valve seals or similar . Just putting it off.

I have also changed various other bits such as the VCV etc

Let us know how you get on
Post #694911 20th Mar 2018 12:43pm
ziduz

Hong Kong 
Bluericky, thanks for the information, and I want to do a follow up,

I just got my car back from the shop.
My 2.4 puma 110 has the same symptoms as Bluericky, where the vehicle runs fine (not as torquey when I first got it), but it makes the toxic, plastic-ish smell when it first start up, and has gone worse by making the same smell all the time with a bit white/blue-ish smoke (the car still drive fine).

So anyways, I have replaced the injectors (2 of those replaced injectors are oily) and cleaned up the EGR (there's a lot of carbon build up), It's been a few days, and the toxic smell is gone, and the car pull betters now.

p.s. even tho I know it uses the same parts as a MK7 Ford Transit, I cant find any ford oem parts website, given my limited time flame, i went with LR parts site and thats expensive......I wonder if any of you guys know a genuine ford parts website and I will start my research from there.....
Post #698741 5th Apr 2018 3:51pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bluericky wrote:
I had two failed injectors and bad seals so oil was dripping past and into the cylinders . I had a tune from BAS as well which closed off the EGR , it’s definitely better but I’m still getting issues with blue smoke both at start up when cold and when coasting downhill in gear, again when cold.
It’s done relatively high mileage so really I ought to be taking the head off as my gut tells me it’s probably valve seals or similar . Just putting it off.

I have also changed various other bits such as the VCV etc

Let us know how you get on

hi. just a thought and this might be a complete red herring but I recall having a bad / toxic smell from the exhaust, I then noticed a drop in mpg and erratic idling. At roughly this time I recall getting MAF sensor replaced (don't recall replacing the VCV at this time) and it sorted the idling and mpg out - and only now I realise the smell has gone and can only assume that fixed it. I hadn't consider the possible link before now?

also - what do you mean by relatively high milage?
Post #698871 6th Apr 2018 7:16am
Bluericky

Hi Caterham

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try the MAF but my idling and MPG are fine .
Its done 120k now (12,000 per annum), its not really out of the question that some engine components or seals could be wearing out. Hence I’m thinking of whipping the head off.

Would gunge in the fuel tank cause smoke and bad smells ? I haven't looked at that yet

Thanks
Post #698877 6th Apr 2018 8:12am
Caterham

Hi, don't want to mis-lead you - I'm no mechanic.

the photo you showed us with all the gunk is on the inlet side as so far as I'm aware the air does not / can not get pushed backwards and as such none of that can be from the injectors as they're effectively downstream. on the other hand it can and probably is from the egr. it may well be that it's off electronically but could still be leaking.

I'm at 100k miles and the engine since the re-map at circa 50k miles has run and still is running really sweetly. IRB at the time advised me to blank the egr which they did......everything around the engine might well have 'fallen off' but the engine is as sweet as can be and gets me between 500 and 600 miles per tank Mr. Green and that's running a 450Nm tune Mr. Green Mr. Green

I'd recommend a good clean followed by blanking of the egr.

good luck Thumbs Up
Post #698880 6th Apr 2018 8:21am
Bluericky

Hi Caterham

I’ve already blanked the egr when I had my remap . The remap was added after so it’s not that causing the issue . I get light puffs of blue smoke on pick up when cold , especially going down hill . It’s fine when warm hence I think it’s valve seals . I had a similar issue on a 300tdi .

I really wish it wasn’t that !

I’m no mechanic either
Post #698886 6th Apr 2018 9:20am
Caterham

ah, my mistake.

using oil too is it?

do you use a OBD tool of any sorts? my memory isn't the best. I just remembered - my Ultraguage was showing in consistent ambient air temps. The new MAF resolved this. As a toe in the water type thing you could in the first instance try giving it and the MAP sensors a wee clean. It might make no difference but I'd suggest there's little harm in trying and it might must make a difference.

again might be a red herring - but mine gives off some white smoke on initial start up in the cold. IF the MAP is thinking the ambient temp is lower than it is perhaps the engine is being over fuelled?

like I say worth a try. good luck.
Post #698891 6th Apr 2018 9:27am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Is there any way of telling if a MAF sensor is working or not without taking it for a full diagnostic? I've cleaned mine, but it does not seem to have sorted things out as the warning indicator is still lit. When I popped in to have it looked at the Indie thought MAF or split hose. I'm getting the same smell and same puff of smoke as noted above. Keen to get it sorted before I do a BAS remap/intercooler upgrade in mid-May. I'm also no mechanic. Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #698912 6th Apr 2018 11:16am
Farmerpete87

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
I know this thread is pretty old now but I seem to be experiencing the same issues on my 2.4. Did any one find a definative answer. Had it running just over idle charging a battery on a digger and it was white/blue smoking more than the 1986 digger. Smells pretty terrible like you have all described above. Been smelling bad and smoking slightly for a good while. Seems to run fine and didn’t smoke once you are driving normally.
Any help from the backS of your minds would be received gratefully
Post #796391 2nd Oct 2019 8:00pm
Bluericky

Hi FarmerPete

I never eliminated it completely but it’s hugely improved. I did several things at the same time so I’m not entirely sure what cured it but it may be a little of each .

Injectors tested , two were bad so replaced along with all seals .
MAF and MAP sensor cleaned but since replaced with new .
Fuel and oil filter changed .
PRV replaced
Glow plugs replaced
Intake manifold removed and cleaned, it was heavily coked up.
EGR deleted in tune
De-Cat exhaust

I would suggest you start with a MAP and MAF clean as it’s cheap !

There’s nothing like a good hard drive to clean out the fuel lines and de-glaze the bores . I’m guilty of leaving it idling on the farm and I’m pretty sure the puma engine doesn’t like it ! I remember the smell nearly disappearing after a good drive . https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #796426 2nd Oct 2019 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12