↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Poppy Conversion to a Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 15 <123 ... 567 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
OK, with too much time on my hands and evenings playing on the net looking at various overland blogs, Ive been day dreaming on how next to improve on Poppy’s set up for some long overland trips in the future (Mongolia and very far north Europe for a start )
So some ideas include -

- 60 ltr water tank – under left side of vehicle next to the chassis – £530
https://www.safari-equip.co.uk/tanks/water...-tank.html

- 45 ltr extra fuel tank under R rear wing - £380
https://www.paddockspares.com/spare-fuel-tank-defender-111.html

-Sand ladder mount/table - £250 plus rails
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-hinging-sand-ladder-bracket.html

- Extra storage unit - being fitted -£150

- RAM mounts for sat nav tablet - £yikes!!! Shocked

- Rock & tree sliders - £250 - £280
https://bearmach.com/rock-tree-sliders-gal...s-ba-110tg
https://www.masai4x4.com/Tree-Sliders-Rock...R-p3524313

- CB radio – £120
https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mobile-cb-radios.html

- Led flood lights side and back – £15
https//www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VW7J1XD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_banMEbV2ZDJ49.html

- Slick shift gear change modification – £200
https://www.firstfour.co.uk/slickshift-for...-2007.html

Any other better recommendations on these parts or things I have missed and should look at?

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #825981 17th Apr 2020 1:07pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Have you seen the safari equipment tree & rock sliders? Bought them for ours really nicely made & galvanised then powder coated. As for water we are in the process of doing our rear fit out & gone for a cartridge system 3 x 19L Remo water containers.
Easier to clean & fill ( you don’t have to have the vehicle by the water source to fill up) plus a seagul iv filtration system plus pre filter so filters to 0.4 microns. We plan on doing some out of the way places where potable water might be hard to find.
Spoke to a few people about tanks & Safari Equipment are great ( will double skin there’s if you ask as an extra) think we are going 120L main & two sill tanks over 1000 range ( plan on going back to Botswana which we have done before in a Toyota & big distances between fill ups and often garages empty)
Quick shifters...friends have bought them & taken them off so undecided on that one. Vision X spots are great but not cheap, just bought a laser LED for the back of ours which seems good.
CB’s? Haven’t got around to them yet! What additional storage are you going for Gary?
Post #826929 21st Apr 2020 10:22pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I looked at fitting a water tank, but i prefer to carry containers if i'm honest.

Tanks require pumps, which require power and i know it's in plentiful supply for a small pump but if it goes tits up for any reason, you're stuck with manual pumping as long as you have one. Storage of 60 litres of water isn't ideal in a small space already, but at least in the African continent you can side mount containers, rear and top mount water containers everywhere else.

Another reason was i can't see in the tank...maybe i'm paranoid on that part Laughing

I do like the 45 litres extra fuel tank though Thumbs Up
Post #826945 21st Apr 2020 11:50pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have the 45l side fuel tank and the side water tank, both I rear arches. No pumps and onboard water is great use of the space. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #826975 22nd Apr 2020 9:16am
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
For water, we use two NATO jerry cans. One connected up through an inline pump and filter, the second held as a 'reserve' so we can quickly swap over and fill the empty one easily. As Timcat says, no need to take the car to the source Very Happy . This does take up internal space though whereas a cill tank leaves the inside of the car clear.

For fuel, a cill tank (Safari Equip) would balance the water tank out nicely and act as a reserve. The problem with an inline tank (and a larger fuel tank for that matter) is that they affect the fuel gauge readout - you would need to drain off (use) 45 litres of fuel before the gauge starts to read! We have the Safari Equip 120 litre tank fitted (probably the same as Timcat mentions) and can go 300 miles before the gauge leaves full Rolling with laughter . It certainly makes you keep an eye on mileage, that's for sure.

And, yes, I agree with Timcat - the Safari Equip stuff is very good. Our replacement main tank is double skinned - peace of mind seeing as you can't fit a tank guard over it.

Tony
Post #826976 22nd Apr 2020 9:21am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I'd be really careful with the spot lights you've selected from Amazon.

- Led flood lights side and back – £15
https//www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VW7J1XD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_banMEbV2ZDJ49.html

They're not good at being scene lamps (they're not good at very much at all in complete honesty). We bought a couple to put on the back of the 130. Don't have an image of the beam pattern, but it's very pencil like, and very weak.

We plan to fit some Stedi lamps (aus) when we get that far into our build. They appear to be Lazer like in quality and performance, but at Aussie import pricing (even with import duty).

https://www.stedi.com.au/4x4-driving-lights/led-work-lights.html

They also show beam patterns.

Other place to check out is Wilderness lamps.

They do a number of lamps that do look a tad "eBay" - but aren't. We have two of their flood/fog lamps on the front of ours and the performance is great, really good spread of light. But again - would be far far too bright for camping scene lamps.

edit: sorry - just thinking, advice seems to be "if it looks eBay Chinese origin, it IS eBay Chinese origin" - the one exception for this does seem to be wilderness lamps. But we've yet to find any small low cost chinese origin ebay lamps that are good quality. Would love to be proven wrong if anyone knows different or can link, as i desperately need more work lamps!! Very Happy
Post #826984 22nd Apr 2020 9:46am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got a couple of those 'eBay Chinese' lamps on the back of my 110 (floods rather than spots) and find them adequate for their intended use. They've been in place for almost two years without issue so far.

I'm aware that you can spend lots more on these sorts of lights but I struggle to see the added value, to be honest.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #826989 22nd Apr 2020 10:20am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
They look to tick the box Thumbs Up do you have a link or a shot of them turned off, they the same shape as the link above?
Post #826998 22nd Apr 2020 11:10am
wyvern

Hi all
many thanks for your fab feedback!

water tank - the idea is to free up lots of space and keep the weight very low on the vehicle - so moving the current 28 ltr tank out of the storage unit in the vehicle to a chassis mounted one does that with ease and frees up space inside the vehicle - we have a pump fitted already so that is not an issue and I aim to put an inspection hatch in the tank for cleaning before fitting.
We had a similar tank fitted by dormobile to the pervious vehicle and the pump and tank both worked very well for about 10 yrs.

Timcat - I am having a small unit made to go behind the passenger seat to match the unit behind the drivers seat, to give a tall unit - it may become the food store or clothing locker - however the packing manager will inform me once its fitted and we can see what we need - its going to be removable so we will only use it on longer trips to keep th weight low.

CB’s will be soon, as will need them for the landrover charities events we go on - but we do have our 4x4 response radios which are on a totally different frequency to CB.

Quick shifts - nice to know . not tried them in a vehicle yet as have only read the reviews on the forum .. so keep an open mind.

Tree/rock sliders- the safari equipment ones look great - so more research to do !

Lights - good call - we have a set of the ones I linked to on the back of my partners 110 for help when reversing in to our drive and they work well for that .. a more flood light may be better for camping use so will look at the ones Matt has suggested - but the choice is vast !!

many thanks for the suggestions ... just need to rob a bank to pay for it all !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #827005 22nd Apr 2020 11:25am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, sure - here you go:

Click image to enlarge

They were partly chosen because of their size, as I particularly wanted to mount them above the door but not have them project above the roof. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #827006 22nd Apr 2020 11:28am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I have the same lights as LRA mentioned, they've been on for the best part of 3 years and work well, from memory they were £15 from eBay. They cast enough light to reverse an 18ft trailer using just the wing mirrors in the dark. Also another recommendation for the Safari Equip rock-sliders!

Love the 110 Wyvern Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #827124 23rd Apr 2020 8:23am
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Indeed, we have the same lights as well. Ours have also been on for 3 years or so without issue - don't recall spending as much as £15 on them either Rolling with laughter I thought, at the time, they have to be worth a shot at that money. My neighbour has some on his Defender as well - it was he that brought them to my attention.

We have two fitted, much the same as LRA, further outboard above the rear windows. Both are rigged to come on together as work lights from a single switch or just one, switched from inside the rear door, to act as an extra light under the rear awning. Gary, you may have seen them.

Tony
Post #827128 23rd Apr 2020 8:35am
wyvern

Test fitting to the new unit before painting ... fits very well and looking forward to finishing it off when the paint and latches arrive

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #827430 24th Apr 2020 6:49pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Looking good Gary, been tenplating ours for two weeks...sick of it now!
Post #827435 24th Apr 2020 7:07pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Neat job Thumbs Up

Was there anything there before?
Post #827463 24th Apr 2020 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 15 <123 ... 567 ... 131415>