↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Poppy Conversion to a Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 15 <123 ... 131415
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Time for a quick update on our latest trips - we undertook the Northumberland 250 last week and had a fab time touring the county up and into the Scottish boarders as part of the route.
see https://northumberland250.com for more route details
We visited castles, forest trails, Abbys, beaches, Hadrian's wall, islands and a bookshop to die for !
The map of the route was not very easy to follow, but gave us key places to point to along the way.

Poppy was perfect with all the set up working well. The weather was damp at times but not too wet. Camping was a mixture of free camping and staying on allowed camping on some of the council car parks for about £12 per night.
Here are a few snaps of the trip --

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #992191 11th May 2023 9:18am
wyvern

As part of the Devon and Cornwall 4x4 response team, we supported the 10tors event on Dartmoor, with over 2000 teenagers took part in the challenge carrying their equipment and navigating by map and compass over 48 hrs on the moor. The event is ran by the military with an input from all the services, including x2 merlin helicopters which were used for positioning equipment out on the moors then medical evacuation of injured/ill participants to the medial teams/hospital
I was paired up with my partner and our role this year was to support the Dartmoor rescue team by providing logistical support in getting them out to patrol the moor and back after their deployment.
other team members had scrutinisers to transport, fire defence duties and traction assist for the boggy carpark!
We had a ‘hurry up and wait’ sort of tasking which suited us as we had time to cheer on the various teams and watch the event from strategic positions.
it was a fantastic thing to be part of and gave us the opportunity to drive up on the moor on the roads normally only permitted to the military.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #992193 11th May 2023 9:49am
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Nice write up Gary, truck looks well Thumbs Up
Post #992376 12th May 2023 11:33am
L110CDL

England 
I've had a great read to catch up on your thread, Gary, good to see you and Julia are well and having great traveling times. Loving the additions that are being added onto Poppy Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #993936 24th May 2023 9:29pm
wyvern

Ok , so another catch up from a 15 day summer trip where we visited Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and transited through France, Begum, Holland and Germany.

Click image to enlarge

We have some family on the East Coast of Sweden who’ve had children recently and my partner wanted to go and visit them.
So a plan was made to catch a ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and drive up to Sundsvall in Sweden.

I had to drive home from work in Aberdeen, arriving home early on the Thursday morning, set up the landrover for the trip, pack and get on the road to Dover
The set up was not too complicated and the longest job was to swap out the main lifting struts on the pop top for the stronger ones that would support the boxes I was putting on the roof with the awning sides and various spares and extras in. After that it was just a case of filing the water tank and loading the food and clothes and we were away by 12.

Click image to enlarge

We arrived at Dover and were able to bring our crossing forward so arrived in France early in the morning getting well north before the rush hours stated, however every city we transited had some form of road works ongoing so we got used to sitting in traffic jams again ! Crossing Germany on the auto-ban we followed a lovely looking 110 puma who sped along with us behind at …. I followed them for a little while but eased off once the speedo reached 90mph !!

Click image to enlarge

The route took us over the Shorebelt and Malmo bridges which were fabulous to cross - if a little pricey even with the discount from pre booking and app use ... but my partner was happy as she was able to take many photos as we crossed, with clear blue skies and no mist or fog to mar the view.

From there we entered Sweden and headed north along the E4 route that goes from Stockholm all the way and on up to Norcap - we found the road very easy to drive but had to keep on our toes as the speed limit changed from 50mph to 40mph often and then down to 19mph in some towns.
The Cruise control worked superbly well on the open roads and the limiter helped with keeping the speed management in the slow towns.

Click image to enlarge

After a few days in Sundsvall we set off west and across into Norway. On the route we came across several Elk (Moose) who wandered down to the road. We heeded the warnings of potential animals on the road after that a kept a look out on both sided of the road as they are much larger than a UK deer so would be an awful thing to hit even at slow speed!
The scenery was very pleasant in Sweden, with a vast number of trees, with regular lakes and rivers to break up the mass of green. On the way over to Norway we started to see some mountains which still had snow on top, which my photographic manager made the most of !

Click image to enlarge

In Norway we headed to Trondheime on the west coast then headed south back into Sweden and towards Jonkoping, then back towards the Malmo Bridge and back into Denmark, where we headed over to Ribe in Denmark and spent a pleasant couple of days wandering around the lovely town.

Then is was back on the road and south to Holland and over the long Afsluitdijk causeway - which seems to be having some major renovation work going on with more road works and closed viewing points.
We kept close to the sea as much as possible on the run back to Dunkirk and once again managed to bring our sailing forward and crossed over the channel on our way home.

Click image to enlarge

So 15 nights, 4230 miles, 7 countries, 2 damp days, 2.5 wine boxes, several million trees and lots of photos. The speed limits kept us about 50-60 most of the time and the use of the cruise control helped us get some great range out of the tank - seeing 300 miles from a half tank was the normal rather than 230 which I normally get.

Click image to enlarge

All in all a great trip - even poppy was well behaved and gave us no trouble at all - but next trip will be different as we will have more time to enjoy stopping and exploring as I will have finished working offshore.

Looking forward to the next adventure !
(Some better pictures to follow as mine are not as good as my partners - as you can see below ! )

Click image to enlarge

View from the Malmo Bridge at 50mph ... ! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #997606 26th Jun 2023 5:23pm
L110CDL

England 
What a great trip you both had, glad it went all okay with Poppy Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #997641 26th Jun 2023 8:33pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Haha great that you mention the boxes of wine in the trip statistics! Rolling with laughter Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #997850 28th Jun 2023 10:34am
wyvern

We are away camping with the Landrover Charity group later in the month, so something to look forward too!
Last year we toured Norfolk and Cambridgeshire - below is a pic of Poppy set up for the camp site enjoying some lovely evening sun ...
Tuff-Trek 270 awning with sided fitted, numerous flags and the top popped ...

Click image to enlarge
Post #1004417 16th Aug 2023 7:50pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
A really enjoyable thread!

Although, I'm a little worried, I've yet to source a Defender and your build thread has already got me writing up shopping lists!! The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1013818 3rd Nov 2023 7:48pm
wyvern

Hi Ian
welcome to the never ending world of defender upgrades and modifications !!
I have added some more tweaks recently and will be adding to the post later in the month - however there are some magnificent conversions on here which are inspiring and where i have got some of my ideas from - Cool
Take a look at Timcat on here who has undertaken an amazing build and has been traveling all over Africa for the last year or so - (and not with out some drama! ) - but now has an amazing vehicle designed to do the trip ! Bow down

We are in Cornwall and your profile info says you are in the SW, so if you are near maybe we can give you the guided tour one day !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #1013832 3rd Nov 2023 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 15 <123 ... 131415