↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alternative Double Din Dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Alternative Double Din Dash
Has anyone played around with CAD designs for a double din dash that sacrifices the clock and slit vents and allows the double Din unit to be mounted at 30 degrees off vertical so that it sits higher, the screen can be more easily viewed, and controls accessed. More like a modern car? Andrew S did this with a computer screen, but has anyone taken it to the next level? I'm not a fan of the standard double Din position, too low imho, and think this would be a much cleaner option.

Click image to enlarge

Or, alternatively, used an A/M stand alone screen as seen in a Merc etc, avoiding any double Din modding at all? Note that this second version would be not just for Sat Nav, which obviously is possible with the 7" screens, but full stereo control, plus phone etc....

This is the Dash removed:

Click image to enlarge

As far as I can see it, you would need to block the middle vents, fairly useless anyway, cut that gold coloured metal bar down (which I think supports the Dash and the back of a standard stereo) and CAD design a new fascia with a housing that would be roughly in line with the round adjustable vents, the screen being slightly more upright than in Andrew S's version. Similar to this below, just less fugly. Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #618294 21st Apr 2017 6:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
There is a need to be careful that you do not fall foul of regulations concerning forward visibility. Nothing higher then 40mm ? above the normal park position of the wiper blades. (Admittedly a variable position on a Defender)

The windscreen is divided into various zones with restrictions on size of obstruction. Sat navs plonked in middle of zone A drivers wiper zone are basically illegal due to obstructing forward visibility.

Brendan
Post #618305 21st Apr 2017 7:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'll be interested to see how this thread develops since precisely the same idea was in my mind.

(The "gold bar" is largely redundant anyway - mine isn't fitted any more - since many HUs no longer reach it.)
Post #618306 21st Apr 2017 7:28am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I agree its position is a tad low but not as low as many cars. When its flat its not so easy to view but if you buy a head unit that you can angle as mine does, it really makes it so much easier to view. Cheaper than hacking your dash to bits.

It automatically closes when you turn the ignition off and returns to the angled position when you start up and you can adjust the angle to suit.

This is the Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB. Fantastic head unit, even includes a grumpy woman that tells me off if I go over the speed limit Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Riverboy on 21st Apr 2017 8:55am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #618317 21st Apr 2017 8:41am
Grenadier

leeds wrote:
There is a need to be careful that you do not fall foul of regulations concerning forward visibility. Nothing higher then 40mm ? above the normal park position of the wiper blades. (Admittedly a variable position on a Defender)

The windscreen is divided into various zones with restrictions on size of obstruction. Sat navs plonked in middle of zone A drivers wiper zone are basically illegal due to obstructing forward visibility.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan,

Never fail to be amazed by the positioning of stand alone SatNavs in some people's windscreens. Shocked

I was thinking more along the lines of moving the top level switches to where the current radio is situated and then using the void, with newly created shroud, to place the Double Din. I've not taken measurements, but in my mind's eye I don't think the front needs to project any further forward than the face of the circular vents, nor should the height be any higher than the vents as well. In effect you would have to cut into the flat area that is currently situated between the vents and above the original switches, as far down as the radio. The void created would allow the double din to sit low and at an angle. I think it could work.

Riverboy, salut. What head unit is yours with the variable fascia? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #618321 21st Apr 2017 8:50am
Riverboy

Salut Thumbs Up Its the Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB (Yeh I know we have no DAB here, but FM works great and all the UK radio stations are available though the Apple Carplay or Android apps) It also has a CD/DVD player and will play movies from your iPhone. Not that I use that I would recommend using that feature whilst driving Laughing I think its meant to feed to a rear screen if fitted. The built in satnav is great too Thumbs Up
Post #618324 21st Apr 2017 8:51am
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hi Riverboy..

does the Pioneer unit open and move the screen in a downwards motion?

Cheers
Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #618328 21st Apr 2017 9:01am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I absolutely agree that the usual double din position is not very effective.

It is too low, and it´s vertical orientation makes readind anything detailed off the display downright dangerous when on the move. I never the less opted for and fitted a double din receiver about a year back, as the menu options for the sound system and telephone are much easier to deal with.

An excellent Garmin mounted low on the screen does the navigation duties. I really appreciate having the display at eye level and have got used to the fact that it blocks view to the far corner of the vehicle. It works, because the display panel is thin enough that, when needed, a small movement of the head eliminates the blind spot.

However, a solution that would offer all functions in one display, placed directly above the clock/vent and look like it belonged there would be perfect. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #618329 21st Apr 2017 9:01am
Riverboy

Clemmo wrote:
Hi Riverboy..

does the Pioneer unit open and move the screen in a downwards motion?

Cheers
Clemmo Thumbs Up

Hi Clemmo. The bottom slides out and angles the screen upwards. It has three or four different angles and opens up completely to access the CD/DVD player.
Post #618333 21st Apr 2017 9:08am
Grenadier

Well come on then, anyone got a CAD programme so we can see what it would look like? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #618337 21st Apr 2017 9:17am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Trying to keep up with this thread is tough. Riverboy, that is a smart head unit that offers a significant improvement Thumbs Up . Never seen one like that before!

I just checked to see how much my Garmin sits proud of the windscreen wipers Embarassed 60 mm Embarassed. Hmmm. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #618382 21st Apr 2017 12:01pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
leeds wrote:

Brendan

Brendan - I take your point and it's very valid but I do wonder which is worse - obstructing forward visability due obsticles associated with the vehicle or obsticles worn on peoples heads. Perhaps drivers should have MOT also Laughing

Similarly when I had to wear a neck brace I chose not to drive due to the restrictions that put on me - others don't seem to have the same level of common sense. certainly not round here anyway. I'm sure some round here wear stuff that must greatly reduce peripheral vision and to my mind is dangerous......but I can't se anything being done about that anytime soon. Crying or Very sad
Post #618386 21st Apr 2017 12:27pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Have just found this and thought of this thread,
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/112063759944
Looks as though the screen can be tilted and is higher than a normal double din, although a double din fascia is still needed by the looks of it.
Was just an thought.....
Post #622331 7th May 2017 8:38am
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Whistle wouldn't a single din slide out screen be an easier option? Something like this?

Click image to enlarge
 RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #622397 7th May 2017 2:11pm
Riverboy

Aren't they obsolete tech now? I couldn't find any single din slide out units with Carplay etc when I looked last year. It seemed they had all been discontinued and all the new units were double din.
Post #622412 7th May 2017 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>