↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 60 <123 ... 151617 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice work!
Post #912862 18th Jul 2021 8:02am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So, Miffy is back up and running Smile It has been an expensive month or so to say the least. After getting the head off I noticed that there were hairline cracks between the glow plugs, injector ports and the exhaust valve. After 220k miles, a blown head gasket and a skim it is a tired head. So I made the decision to purchase a new AMC head from Turners. Expensive, but so far it is all working perfectly.

What was interesting was where silicone sealer had made its way to... That stuff is just plain evil. Useful but evil... This is the build-up around the hydraulic lash adjuster. Just how much is gumming up the adjusters?! who knows... Replace those then...

Click image to enlarge

The heat damage to the glow plug wiring was unexpected, but with a good quality of amalgamating tape the connections are working well. Will keep an eye on them.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The injectors looked superb after 220k miles, nothing external, no build up or bits missing.

Bagged. Tagged. Clean. Ready.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The block looked in good condition. A little surface rust in the coolant ports, nothing major. Once clean there was almost no wear waft or warp across the top of the block. a few minor scores in the third cylinder bore, but nothing major. I know that I will have to do a bottom end rebuild in the future, but not for a while and hopefully once I have a roof for Miffy to sit under whilst I take the engine apart...

So the AMC head... Superb quality and the upgrades to the injector port walls are immense. I built up the head with inlet and exhaust manifolds and then lifted it in to place. Goodness that was an awkward lift... A crane next time I think Wink

Then through the head bolt tightening sequence which is harder than it reads, but thanks to the additional turning assistance of the Tirfor handle over the top of a breaker bar all the bolts were torqued down to specs. The entire time muttering, please don't shear, please don't shear... Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fit the rest of the ancillaries, fill the coolant, oil, filters, etc etc... Purge the fuel system... First turn of the key Smile Smile Smile Gaud love ya Miffy... Can't keep the big girl down...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The new head has now done around 700 miles or so, mixture of driving and she pulls like a freight train. Smoke is normal, if anything better than before and oddly the exhaust does not smell as much as it used to at idle. Maybe those cracks where something... The MPG is bob on 26-28 over a couple of tanks. No leaks (touch wood). So far so good...
Post #916766 13th Aug 2021 4:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It never stops, Ha...!

So now that the power is back it is time to deal with the 10 year old bushes, they are not all bad but the trailing arm lower bushes are worn enough to produce noticeable four wheel steering. Time for a refresh. No problem as the current bushes are SuperPros and no presses or burning out will be needed, straight swap. At the same time the track rod ends will be changed (the track rod has to come off anyway) as they have become dry and worn. Why oh why don't these come with grease nipples on top as standard... why...!

So I have bought some new Delphi track rod ends and added grease nipples and dust caps to them, smooth greased steering here we come...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #916767 13th Aug 2021 4:35pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Raised Air Intake Top
Raised air intake tops have been on my mind recently, not for bad reasons or that I am thinking of changing the top on my RAI. It is because I have had the current top fitted to Miffy for the better part of two years and I am thoroughly impressed by it, it is not the most expensive (+/- £17), it isn't even branded, it just works.

So, I have always had Safari snorkels and their scoop top, later I fitted a PandP cages RAI with a scoop top. I liked the ability rotate the scoop facing forwards to force in as much air as the engine wants and rotating it out of the way whilst driving in dusty or wet, the latter of which happens a lot here in Wales. I know the scoop top is meant to filter out the rain in the air (out the back via a drain hole), but it never did a great job, perhaps the rain in Wales is an incomparable kind or more than likely it is just the quantity. The other irritation was the squadrons of insects are just funnelled or sucked in to the scoop and in to the air filter. I used to fit the bottom of a pair of tights in to the top of the RAI just underneath the scoop top, this did a fab job of pre-filtering the larger bugs and leaves out before they reach the filter. I believe there is a foam pre-filter these days that you can buy that does the same thing.

Click image to enlarge

When I moved to the TD5 and especially once it had been tuned the air filter used to fill up so quickly with a scoop fitted, regardless of which direction it is facing. The filter would also get quite wet as well. Neither of which is ideal.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I took the plunge on a different style of RAI top, akin to the traditional Mantec mushroom top fitted to Camel Trophy and military vehicles, although made of plastic. I was tempted with a Donaldson style top (with the clear bowl), but at the time costly. The top I choose came from LR Challenge 4x4 I believe and the reason I went for it was the cyclonic intake, the rain cowl and the 3" diameter intake. Once fitted it looks good, it fits with the Safety Devices roll cage and PandP RAI. After two years it has faded a little in the sun, but not too much and a can of Plastikote would sort that out. It has taken some good knocks from branches and once made the seat of a local moggy... it seemed to approve of the tops diameter and vantage over the yard... https://www.lrchallenge4x4.co.uk/product/3...-defender/

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This last twelve months Miffy has been my daily driver and has covered thousands of miles in all weathers (mostly wet, it is Wales after all), through clouds of insects and during this dry summer a lot of dust. So much dust. I check my air filter fairly regularly and since fitting this RAI top the air box has been bone dry, dustless and has injested barely any large particles (leaves or insects). The air filter is miraculously clean. Usually I expect to see bits of flies, seeds and dirt stuck to the filter material. Nothing... or nothing that I can see without a magnifying glass.

The only difference is the RAI top, nothing else has been changed.

There is one more thing worth mentioning, performance... There is no noticeable difference in performance or MPG between the scoop and cyclonic RAI top. These days I care more about the reliability of the vehicle than the outright ram air powered speediness, or more than likely the lack of extra speediness.

Just goes to show that not every modification has to cost an arm and a leg Smile
Post #917049 15th Aug 2021 12:12pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok found an hour or so this afternoon to begin the re-bushing of the ol gal. Started easy with one of the rear trailing arms Wink

After 12 years the Superpro bushes are in pretty good condition, sort of... The bushes are ok but the metal sleeves and mounts are showing their age and mileage. So off with the old and on with the new:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The job is done without any jacking up or removal of wheels as I am replacing like for like. Usually the problems arise when swapping components that adjust the geometry of the axles in relation to the chassis. This time around it is just bush out bush in and torque it up Smile

Might get some time tomorrow to continue the job. What I have noticed is that the chassis wax needs topping up this year... Ain't life grand Wink
Post #917287 16th Aug 2021 5:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
SuperPro bushes swapped out and replaced by SuperPro bushes. The first set have done exceptionally well lasting 10-12 years and have covered more miles than I care to think about.

All in all the swap took a good day on my own, on a gravel track, no wheels came off the ground and only a basic tool kit was required.

Interesting things to note. Since last doing this SuperPro have changed the grease they pack with the bushes, it is now much stickier and clear. An improvement when fitting the bushes, but be careful not to drop the lubricated bush on to the dusty gravel floor... Rolling Eyes

The last time I properly copper slipped all the bolts and threads up and after 10 years all the bolts and nuts undid and slid out of the metal sleeves with ease. Super chuffed at that as we all know how hard a job can get when they do not come out. Bow down

I did have to use a drill to remove four of the bushes where the inner metal sleeve had corroded tight in the bush. It was not difficult, just interesting that the sleeve had corroded against the bush and not the bolt. Better this way. Much easier to get out.

The surprise was that both radius arm to axle bushes went in as one-piece items and came out as two pieces. I had not expected this at all, but it might explain the unusual steering characteristics that began a month or so ago, interestingly during the heatwave... Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All of the bushes showed some wear on the shoulders where they rub against the axle or chassis mounts, but not anything drastic.

All of the suspension components that the bushes fitted in to or on to did not show much in the way of deterioration, a little rust here and there, but not outside the realms of a 19 year old vehicle.

The hardest bushes to fit are the four radius arm to axle bushes as they are one piece with a lip that needs to be pushed through the radius arm. With no handy hydraulic press Plan A was to use the standard bottle jack under the jackal sills, a hub nut socket and a couple of bricks. Plan B was to break out the hi-lift jack. Either would do but I went with Plan A. This is a great way to remove the inner sleeve, old bush and re-fit with the new items. Worked a charm. Could have done with a third arm now and again, but found that I am still agile enough to utilise feet as well as hands when the need arises. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Was it worth the effort, silly question really. Yes it absolutely was and Miffy now rides like she's gliding along on silken pillows. The sometimes harsh jolts from country roads and potholes has been nearly irradicated and interestingly some of those knocks or clonks on taking up drive have gone as well. Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Whilst there and having to take the drag link off to get the radius arms off I took the time to replace the track rod ends with new Delphi units which I have added grease nipples too. In addition to the track rod end on the steering arm the steering is now light as a feather, what a delightful difference.

Best of all... The 60-65 mph speed wobble (which I did think was a lost wheel weight) has gone... so the combination of worn bushes and track rod ends also feels like unbalanced wheels and tyres... Lesson learnt Wink
Post #917561 18th Aug 2021 3:34pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I love the hydraulic press
Mr. Green
Post #917573 18th Aug 2021 5:31pm
donmacn

^^^ Agreed! That's ingenuity and I'll take a "note to self" if I ever need to do stuff like that in the field.

I managed to push mine in using a medium-ish bench vice. Totally agree though that they make a huge difference to the ride. It's not that long since I did all mine, but if I get 10-12 years out of them I'll be delighted. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #917575 18th Aug 2021 5:36pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Caterham wrote:
I love the hydraulic press
Mr. Green

Ha Laughing it's a little bit bush mechanics but it worked a treat... Amazing what you can do with very little Thumbs Up
Post #917576 18th Aug 2021 5:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
donmacn wrote:
^^^ Agreed! That's ingenuity and I'll take a "note to self" if I ever need to do stuff like that in the field.

I managed to push mine in using a medium-ish bench vice. Totally agree though that they make a huge difference to the ride. It's not that long since I did all mine, but if I get 10-12 years out of them I'll be delighted.

A vice? You lucky thing you Donmacn, I would love a vice Bow down It would have been much easier with a decent sized vice. At some point I am going to have to do a UJ and it has been a loooooooooooong time since I have done one without a vice... Rolling with laughter Lump hammer, socket and a couple of bricks... Rolling Eyes
Post #917577 18th Aug 2021 5:40pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
When I did my front radius arms, the bushes needed no press. By the time I had walked from the drive to the shed, the metal inner had fallen out and then bush just needed a push with a finger!

I shall wave as I pass Corwen lights on Sunday 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #917582 18th Aug 2021 6:05pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
When I did my front radius arms, the bushes needed no press. By the time I had walked from the drive to the shed, the metal inner had fallen out and then bush just needed a push with a finger!

I shall wave as I pass Corwen lights on Sunday

I shall make sure the bunting and honour guard are out in readiness for you excossack Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #917584 18th Aug 2021 6:13pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Cheers.
If you see a blue 110 towing a blue Harvey Frost thats me Smile 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #917588 18th Aug 2021 6:43pm
L110CDL

England 
Great work that your doing on Miffy and really good news with the head coming off and then putting the new one on and Miffy going well Thumbs Up

Did you go for the standard head or the performance head for Miffy ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #917623 18th Aug 2021 10:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Great work that your doing on Miffy and really good news with the head coming off and then putting the new one on and Miffy going well Thumbs Up

Did you go for the standard head or the performance head for Miffy ?

HA I didn't even know there was a performance TD5 head Rolling Eyes So it's a standard but upgraded AMC head and it is settling in nicely, hasn't sprung any leaks so far, she pulls well, doesn't smoke as much as she did do at start up and the top end is definitely less noisy than it was. Happy so far.

The next step is to tackle some of the bodywork, specifically the doors which having suffered massively living next to the coast for six years or so. That salt spray is a killer for Land Rovers by the coast...
Post #917662 19th Aug 2021 9:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 60 <123 ... 151617 ... 585960>