↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > optimised air intake?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
thrasher

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
optimised air intake?
anyone any experience or has fitted the nakatanenga optimised air intake up grade air box kit? or know of anyone else that makes a similar kit? I have seen on some forums people have made there own,but I neither have the time or the facilities to do so, a ready made kit would suit me better
cheers gus
Post #612842 28th Mar 2017 1:46pm
Manxie

Isle Of Man 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
If you are just looking for less restriction between the air intake and airbox, I fitted the Nugget unit. This is normally for sealing aftermarket RAI to the airbox, but I just used the kit with the normal air intake, and is much better.
http://www.nuggetstuff.com/defenderairbox.html
Post #612998 29th Mar 2017 7:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have the Nakatanega large bore RAI, the kind that enters through the wingtop.

This replaces all the original pipework upstream of the air box, and consequently removes the extraordinarily restricted LR pipe between the box and the wing intake. Since the RAI has a very effective prefilter at the intake, it is quite safe to remove the water separator from the airbox. and my airbox is now extensively "optimised". The pipework is also sealed, unlike the original LR pipework which has more holes than a string bag.

Prior to fitting this I had standard pipework from the side intake to the airbox, a standard airbox, and a Mantec heritage style RAI. The difference in the engine's breathing before and after is, shall we say, "noticeable"!

The RAI and prefilter also makes a fantastic burbling growl at certain speeds which results in a spontaneous grin!

I have no photos of mine available at present, but Wild Card 90 has the same type, so here is a picture borrowed from his gallery:

Click image to enlarge
Post #613012 29th Mar 2017 9:51am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
@blackwolf, you say noticeable, more power or just freer revving?

I have a td5, safari snorkel RAI and standard inlet piping, including what looks like a water separator/drain inside the wing. Would i see some benefit by replacing the engine bay piping with something larger bore?
Post #613051 29th Mar 2017 2:09pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The standard Puma engine is rated at 122 HP and 359 Nm torque.

A customer of ours has the Nakatanenga raised air intake fitted and has had it test on the Alive dyno and the figures achieved were 135 hp and 350 Nm. After an Alive tune the figures were 185 hp and 505 Nm.

Customer did report a noticeable increase in power on fitting the Nakatanenga RAI prior to having his Defender on the Alive dyno.

This is what has been reported to us and seems to bear out blackwolfs experience.

I can not comment from personal experience but one day must get around fitting one to our grey 90.

Brendan
Post #613080 29th Mar 2017 4:50pm
blackwolf

My impression from the driving seat is that the it both revs more freely and is smoother and more powerful.

When you see the original pipework that comes out you realise just how strangled the engine is in standard form.
Post #613081 29th Mar 2017 4:56pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have a Safari raised air intake fitted but before I did that I obtained a Nugget sealed air intake system so I could seal it properly.

The Nugget setup uses a 90mm pipe between the raised air intake and the air box, whilst the Safari raised intake is 80mm inside diameter which I believe is somewhat larger than the LR/Mantec 'plastic job'.

When I removed the standard LR pipework it was amazing just how small it is - from memory around half the cross-sectional area of the 90mm pipework. What made it especially apparently was the fact that I had to cut the LR pipework in half to extract it from under the wing. Yoghurt pots are made of more robust stuff... I cut through it with a bread knife!

I did seal the bottom of the airbox but left the water separator in place.

Anyway I noticed two things afterwards; one was a noticeable change in the smoothness and free-revving of the engine. It runs very well indeed now and the low-speed jerkiness has also decreased to the stage where it hardly ever does it unless provoked.

The other was a marked decrease in the intake noise including the elimination of a slight tapping/fluttering noise that I'm sure was the original pipework resonating due to the flimsiness of it all.

Overall I'm rather pleased with the setup. Even without a remap it's a darned sight more sprightly than my old Td5 and that had a 160bhp remap, hybrid turbo and large intercooler. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #613097 29th Mar 2017 5:34pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
As Blackwolf used my photo Thumbs Up , i just thought I´d pipe (oops) in here.
BW, I´m pleased to read your comments, and those from Brendan, on the RAI kit from Naka. As I purchased my 2.2 with it already installed, and came from a 2.4 previously, I had no direct comparison.

I can only say that my 90 runs remarkably smoothly and runs happily and easily up to the speed limiter in sixth (GPS 154 kmh on 255´s) and would surely go faster, if allowed. Accelerating through the gears, I occasionally use up to around 4000 rpm, and it feels useful and efficient to do so. I later fitted a custom built free flow exhaust system (deleting both silencers) which seems to complement the intake breathing kit.

The aluminium tubing of the RAI and the convoluted ducting under the bonnet have an inside diameter of 78 mm. At no point on the way from the zyclone filter down to the airbox is any restriction in diameter or shape.

As Blackwolf says, it even sounds good!

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #613101 29th Mar 2017 6:15pm
blackwolf

In my personal opinion the wingtop entry RAI is much better looking than any side entry system too.
Post #613108 29th Mar 2017 6:36pm
Dieselhead

That looks cool.

Great looking mod Thumbs Up Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #613120 29th Mar 2017 7:19pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I'm guessing fitting with a roll cage (SD) would require shortening the horizontal pipe and coming up with my own 'parallel pipe to pipe' mounts? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613145 29th Mar 2017 9:16pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
so whats with the air intake for the cabin? (LHD) Question Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #613156 29th Mar 2017 9:58pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Agentmulder, Nakatanenga are one step in front of you Thumbs Up

They do two versions, one for vehicles without roll cage and one version for a vehicle with roll cages Thumbs Up

The rollcage version has the appropriate fittings.

Now we have been asked if it is possible to change a standard Nakatanenga raised air intake to a roll cage version. The simple answer is yes but it will be a special order as the air intakes are made in sets.

Brendan
Post #613165 29th Mar 2017 10:20pm
blackwolf

agentmulder wrote:
I'm guessing fitting with a roll cage (SD) would require shortening the horizontal pipe and coming up with my own 'parallel pipe to pipe' mounts?

No, Nakatanenga makes two versions, one for non-cage and one for cage. As far as I know the only difference is the pipe up the screen which has different brackets.

(Brendan, if you are reading this perhaps it will serve as a gentle reminder of my enquiry! Thumbs Up )

I think the kit for LHD vehicles includes the parts to relocate the heater intake to the side opening formerly used of the engine intake. On RHD vehicles this is unnecessary, of course. I have simply blanked off my side aperture with the military blanking plate.

Edit - Brendan, our posts crossed, and thank you for the update re. my enquiry! Thumbs Up
Post #613167 29th Mar 2017 10:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We got back from our Germany visit very late Sunday and have been busy playing catch up ever since Laughing

Brendan
Post #613169 29th Mar 2017 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>