↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > hanks Double Cab
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bankz5152 wrote:

Looks good! You say that about the middle seat, but the standard front seats are held in place with 4 oversized m8 rivnuts. No different to the cubby box fixings..

Ahhh there we are then! I suppose it's the seat belt mounts that need strength in case of an accident. The seat acts in compression not tension! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #916460 11th Aug 2021 10:52am
L110CDL

England 
Good to see a middle seat in and it's looking good Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #916630 12th Aug 2021 9:08pm
hank

Superpro bush kit now fitted to the vehicle complete with new suspension bolt kits front and rear. Feels slightly less wooly/a bit more positive to drive. The old bushes were the originals so probably due a refresh after 15 years/90k miles.

Also have a new set of injectors to go in so hopefully get them done one day this week at which point I think the old girl is all set for the drive to Italy > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #918500 24th Aug 2021 10:49am
hank

I had suspected for a little while that the injectors may have been misbehaving as the Defender seemed to be down on power. It didn't seem to have the same oomph that it once did, seemed to need more revs to make power/torque, losing speed on long motorway climbs and dire performance recently when towing a few tonne. Just didn't seem to go how I remembered or how you would expect the 'duratorq' to perform.

Ordered a set of reconditioned Denso DCRI107060 injectors from P F Jones (no affiliation) at Β£72 per piece https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ford-transit-2.2...0-pfj.html

Last week I made a start on fitting the new (reconditioned) injectors but a damaged rocker cover stopped play.

This time as well as cleaning up the injector seats with the seat cutter I also spent a fair bit of time cleaning up the injector counter bores in the head of every spot of carbon/gunk/fried oil using a brass wire brush/bottle cleaner as I was conscious of knocking any 'bits' down onto the injector seat when sliding the injectors home and introducing any weakness in the seal.

I was pleased with the result - spotlessly clean bright aluminium counter bore and seat ready to accept the new injectors.

Just when I was ready to reassemble I noticed the inner PCV 'baffle' in the rocker cover was cracked/broken so a replacement rocker cover was ordered (Ford part number 1516726)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New rocker cover arrived today so reassembly could continue. Below is a shot of the bright aluminium injector counter bore looking through the rocker cover seal

Click image to enlarge

Four injectors slid straight home with a satisfying 'clunk' as they located on the seat in the head.

With brand new injector clamp brackets and stretch bolts torqued down (6Nm + 180deg), the fuel feeds, returns and connectors were refitted and the injector codes programmed using the BAS tool.

Fired up after a bit of a crank and OH MY GOD it's like a different vehicle! Comes on song around 1800 - 1900rpm like it should and goes like the clappers with no black smoke out of the exhaust. All I can think is that the old injectors must have been completely knackered. It also runs quieter, with the 'tick tick ticking' now gone and also no 'chuff' coming out of the oil filler on removal.
I wish had done this ages ago. It's a job I had been putting off after reading horror stories about Β£1000 - Β£2000 injector repair bills but at Β£288 it wasn't so bad at all. Look forward to towing something heavy and seeing how it performs

Old Injectors

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New one (only got a photo of one)

Click image to enlarge

And all back together

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #919405 31st Aug 2021 8:43pm
hank

I thought it was probably worth sticking a new fuel filter on to give the new injectors the best chance of longevity

Went for a genuine JLR one. Quite a bit of muck came out of the old one so looks as though it was worth a change

Simple five minute job.
1. Remove Cover
2. Fill the new filter to the brim with diesel
3. Unscrew the old filter
4. Screw the diesel filled new filter on. I did this quick to minimise any fuel loss from the system
5. Refit cover

Started back up on the button.

In other news I towed a couple of tonne of sand this week - effortless. So pleased I changed the injectors Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #920096 5th Sep 2021 1:09pm
Trendkill110

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Barolo Black
Hank,

Great thread, really good read.

I'll be doing the headlining over the next few days at home, looks great!

Picked my new to me 2008 XS Double Cab up last Wednesday.

Parts are already arriving daily πŸ˜†

Cheers buddy πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Click image to enlarge
Post #920296 6th Sep 2021 9:51pm
hank

Do like the the look of that! Don't forget to start your own thread and share your progress Thumbs Up > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #920360 7th Sep 2021 1:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Trendkill110 wrote:
Hank,

Great thread, really good read.

I'll be doing the headlining over the next few days at home, looks great!

Picked my new to me 2008 XS Double Cab up last Wednesday.

Parts are already arriving daily πŸ˜†

Cheers buddy πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Click image to enlarge

Very nice, loving those Bowlers Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #920600 8th Sep 2021 9:14pm
hank

Since Naf’s post about pressure testing his boost pipes/intercooler I wanted to do the same for peace of mind. Since going hybrid turbo the turbo spool whistle is significant so I wanted to be sure it wasn’t a leak.

So to confirm the system holds pressure I disconnected the boost pipe from the turbo outlet and disconnected the boost pipe from the inlet manifold then blanked one end off and bunged up the other end with a 48mm/51mm wine making bung.

Then via the bung I charged the system with air from the compressor and it held pressure lovely. No leaks whatsoever. So that’s another things tested, confirmed and off my mind Thumbs Up

> 110 XS Double Cab
Post #922514 23rd Sep 2021 7:38pm
hank

I have posted this elsewhere on the forum but just to keep this thread up to date...

The 2.4 broke down on the A40 near Chenex in France on the 6th October Big Cry

Thankfully I get European Breakdown Assistance with my bank account which covers repair if they believe the fault can be rectified within 24 hours, otherwise the vehicle is repatriated home.

Since we were on our way to our own wedding we had to leave the Defender behind and continue the journey in a hire car

Click image to enlarge

And on a happier note here is a line drawing my then girlfriend and now wife did of the Defender back when she were a runner Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab

Last edited by hank on 11th Jan 2022 11:56am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #927709 29th Oct 2021 4:19pm
hank

The engine issues have led me to desire an M57 swap! However I am really struggling to make contact with M57 conversion kit providers (mw machines and wiseman engineering). Many many emails sent without response unfortunately and no answer by phone either. > 110 XS Double Cab

Last edited by hank on 1st Dec 2021 1:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #929611 13th Nov 2021 1:45pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I do not know if you already have it or not, but a leak down tester would be a useful tool for your case. You will be able to gauge blow by gasses in either the crank case or intake/exhaust. Then you can detect if there is a bottom end, top end or no issue at all with the engine. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #929615 13th Nov 2021 2:09pm
hank

Defender was returned back to me last week and to my surprise fired straight up and seemed to run well Confused except for the following fault codes

P0100-36 (2F) Mass or volume air flow circuit - Frequency modulation/pulse width modulation failure - signal frequency is too low

P037D29 Glow plug relay sensor circuit - signal invalid

New genuine MAF did not resolve the issue so I looked at wiring diagrams and realised that Fuse 39 - 5amp is on this circuit. Checked the fuse which had indeed popped so changed the fuse, cleared the fault and problem solved.

For the glow plug fault, again looked at wiring diagrams and checked all associated fuses. This time P110 60amp under the drivers seat was gone. Changed the fuse, cleared the fault and problem solved. > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #930856 23rd Nov 2021 6:37pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Maybe your truck was jealous of the pending nuptials and threw a fit? Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #930857 23rd Nov 2021 6:41pm
hank

Next, forum user "landy andy" reported a similar knock whilst driving through France which turned out to be a faulty VCV so I ordered and fitted a genuine DENSO item

Whilst fitting I noticed that whoever changed the VCV before me had fitted one socket head bolt and one hex head bolt - which was loose. So I wonder if this was contributing to my issues...

With the new VCV fitted with correct bolts torqued up I took it for a spin to get engine temps up then did the high pressure pump learn and the pilot correction procedures.

Seems to run nicely and responds well to throttle.

Oil and filter change on the weekend then will monitor over time...

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #930860 23rd Nov 2021 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>