↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > hanks Double Cab
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 20 <123 ... 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
hank wrote:
... some response unimogs for any other unimog fans on here! ...

Nice! What are the two at the far end of the line up (the two that aren't 'Mogs)?
Post #614477 4th Apr 2017 1:52pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Easter update...

Rear end has been crashy since I've had the defender but I presumed this was normal as the ride quality improved with load.

I noticed a jangling noise when I had the window down and further inspection revealed the lower rear shock bushes/cups were worn/punched through so that the steel bush cup no longer located against the damper rod shoulder - I am informed this is quite common?

Ordered a pair of Fox Performance Series 2.0 shocks which I fitted this weekend. The ride quality is transformed! I will be fitting the same dampers on the front.

Also still need to level out the rear relative to the front but am in two minds whether to order custom rear springs with a lesser spring rate or go for some 'off the shelf' rear springs' to bring the back end down to match the front. The ride is great with the new dampers so perhaps no need for lower spring rate. I will have a think about it after front shocks are fitted

Old vs new

Click image to enlarge

Fitted

Click image to enlarge

Punched through bush cup

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #617661 18th Apr 2017 11:46am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #617687 18th Apr 2017 1:07pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Damn si, u got me sold on these, might get another set now for my own 110 as I had these on my td5 110 a couple years ago and they were lush!

£120 each aint half bad is it for Fox shocks 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #617768 18th Apr 2017 7:11pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Unimogs. My word

110 looks better with the 5's Thumbs Up
Post #617772 18th Apr 2017 7:24pm
hank

Cheaper than a MTB shock Ken Shocked
Post #617783 18th Apr 2017 7:53pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Did you remove the 'cups' from the axle mounts if fitted?
Post #617879 19th Apr 2017 9:36am
hank

The original 'cups' are in the bin with the shocks.

The Fox shocks are supplied with new 'cups' and bushes - you can just about make them out in the Old vs New photo. They're thicker than LR ones so will hopefully fair a little better
Post #617906 19th Apr 2017 12:27pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
No no I mean these -

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #617918 19th Apr 2017 1:50pm
hank

Mine weren't that bad and came off with the old shock
Post #617921 19th Apr 2017 2:15pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
hank wrote:
... some response unimogs for any other unimog fans on here! ...

Nice! What are the two at the far end of the line up (the two that aren't 'Mogs)?

MB Zetros?
Post #617927 19th Apr 2017 2:57pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Nice looking 110..
@ Supacat, I shall give you a wave if i see you out and about in sunny Yorkshire
Post #617930 19th Apr 2017 3:33pm
hank

Long overdue update. I have fallen foul to the photobucket paid photo hosting scandal but I am in the process of re-hosting in my defender2 gallery. I will update this thread so that my photos work.

I have done quite a bit since my last update so the next bit is going to be a bit wordy. For those who aren’t interested here is a current photo. More photos to follow! Update beneath

Click image to enlarge

My main focus recently has been bodywork and general interior/exterior condition. The load area/tub has seen a lot of use and was looking a bit tired, as was the rear crossmember.
I don’t use my canvas hood so removed the canvas fixing rail from the back of the tub and welded up the redundant rivet holes then the back of the cab, rear end, tailgate, crossmember and a few other bits and bobs were repainted.

While everything was disassembled I took the opportunity to build back up with a complete stainless fixing kit and stainless hardware including stainless Anti Luce drop lock pinset, stainless tailgate brackets (powder coated black to match crossmember), stainless tailgate eyes (painted body colour)
I couldn’t refit a ratty old registration plate so a new one was put on and a shiny artmin designs badge/plaque fitted

A new set of sills were fitted which meant I was able to get rid of the checkerplate along the sills.
The checker on the rear corner of the tub has been powder coated satin black but in time will also be removed, holes welded up and repainted body colour.
The wing top checkerplate has been powder coated satin black. I may even keep this as it has grown on me since changing the colour! All checkerplate fixings have been replaced with black stainless fittings.
On the subject of powder coating, the front bumper and side steps were also blasted and powder coated satin black.

I fitted an RDX 10 lamp kit with the associated relay which smartened things up on the outside, the only problem being they highlighted the dim yellow headlights. This was rectified with a pair of LED headlights, I took the opportunity to change the headlight ring/bezels for black powder coated stainless items while I was at it.

Following on the black theme I fitted black OE headlights surrounds and grille. The LED headlights are black so the whole front end now looks mean! I corrected the ‘sad’ Defender look at the same time by adjusting the wings with washers. A black Land Rover badge was fitted to finish things off up front.
Also while at the front end, I fitted an Aluminium steering/sump guard with recovery eyes. Mainly because I like how it looks and the recovery points will come in handy at pay and play events.
Bosch Aerotwin wipers have gone on too.
I have a magnetic front plate in the cubby box but I kind of like the no numberplate look.

Back at the rear end, the original Dixon Bate drop tow bar was replaced with a TerraFirma 2” receiver as the drop plate acted more like a plough in the woods.
I have used this a good few times since fitting and all seems good. I keep my tow ball/pin attached to a dropper adapter which I keep stowed under the rear seats. Day to day I have an adapter and D-shackle fitted.

The interior got some attention too with LED’s to replace the instrument cluster bulbs and an LED to replace the cabin light.
One of my blower vent silver rings was cracked so the pair were replaced for new.
The cubby box got an Exmoor Trim lid which is really nice when driving. It is thicker than the old one so a bit higher which was a welcome addition.
I was lucky in picking up a NOS 36 spline leather steering wheel for reasonable money so the original worn one has been swapped out for a nice new one.
I have new seat covers waiting to be fitted courtesy of defender2.net member shazzy90 – thank you! My passenger seat cover was split when I got the truck so that will tidy up the interior.

I am on holiday in September so the Defender is off to have a leak sorted (crankshaft rear main oil seal). While it is away it is also being treated to an Ashcroft output shaft kit and a clutchfix HD clutch kit, slave cylinder etc.

That’s it for now I think. More bits and bobs planned but just enjoying using it for the time being as it has been off the road for a little while
Post #644691 17th Aug 2017 2:49pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Looks great Thumbs Up sounds like a lot of work! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #644714 17th Aug 2017 3:53pm
hank

A few photos from the weekend firewood collecting for winter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge