Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Rear Window Tinting
Hi,

Got a 90 hard top and im needing to replace the rear window as the heating element has been damaged. I was thinking of having the new glass and the 2 original windows either side tinting.

What are the pros and cons of doing this? And can anybody recommend how dark to tint them?

Many thanks

Pete.
Post #55065 26th Jan 2011 1:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I would not recommend too dark. At least on my 110" rear visibility is not that good. I would say 50% at most Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #55069 26th Jan 2011 4:07am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I have 35% on all my windows, but I chose this because I don't have rear windows - replaced with gullwing.

In SA it is illegal (though no one bothers) to have more 50% tint on the front windows. What some people do is a 35% on the front windows, and 50% on the rest of the car.
Post #55070 26th Jan 2011 6:28am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
cons of doing this on a working vehicle are that the film scratches very easily and can look pretty scruffy fairly quickly if anything is in contact with the film. It cant be repaired as such so once its scratched that's it. You're also at the mercy of the skill (or lack of) of the fitter. if its not perfect it can look pretty cheap and nasty
Post #55092 26th Jan 2011 10:31am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
BigMike wrote:
cons of doing this on a working vehicle are that the film scratches very easily and can look pretty scruffy fairly quickly if anything is in contact with the film. It cant be repaired as such so once its scratched that's it. You're also at the mercy of the skill (or lack of) of the fitter. if its not perfect it can look pretty cheap and nasty

This may be over kill but I was thinking of having my windows passed a b pillar and the back done and then also putting a rear window guard on the inside of the rear window. This way with the load guard. In place you must open the rear door to get access. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #55098 26th Jan 2011 11:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I had all my windows except front row and windscreen tinted on my td5 i ended taking most of it off - especially the rear window because at night time you get the reflection of oncoming traffic in the rear window, also you can't see out the window to reverse. if you want to hide contents of the boot, I'd recommend one of those car blinds.
Post #55101 26th Jan 2011 12:20pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, gives some privacy, cuts out sun if youre abroad, but also draws attention to the fact that you may be carrying something you dont want people to see ie, something of value.

by the way Russ, did you get my PM?
Post #55119 26th Jan 2011 2:22pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi guys
All our glass in the back is as dark as you can go and its great ! (not sure of the % but its the darkest you can get from LR) Cool
we've got grills on the back sliding windows for security - but this also protects the film.
It means that we have no problems of people looking into the vehicle to see what is in the back, (which is funny when we've been sitting having a cuppa and folk are trying to peer in!!) Embarassed

And when camping its great as it keeps us nice and private in the day time and blots out 90% of the interior LED lights showing outside the wagon when its dark (but we still need curtains at night to help sleeping)

The front 2 windows & windscreen are standard glass with a very slight anti-glare tint.

I tend to use the external mirrors most of the time so dont have the reflection problems when driving at night, so basicly treat is as a van which lets some light in the back and you'll be fine! Wink
But Wow -we get some great sunset views through the glass!! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #55134 26th Jan 2011 4:51pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I was thinking of getting this done - mostly to stop my kids getting the sun in their eyes.

Does it make the rear a bit gloomy? I was in a Jag the other day that had the rear heavily tinted and it was really depressing.

The great thing about the Defender is that it feels quite airy inside with a lot of glass and visibility. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #55138 26th Jan 2011 5:33pm
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Mine are tinted to the most you can go in the UK too, for security reasons, but it's a bit of a pain to see through the rear view mirror, or rear/side windows at night for reversing and the like. You also get the reflection off the dashboard lights reflect back at you at night, which, along with the above, makes it difficult to see out in certain situations.

Chris.
Post #55139 26th Jan 2011 5:34pm
Zinke

Well i went to see a few places today, got a new heated rear glass that needs fitting too so the guy said he would tint that, take out the little windows and tint them properly for £90, which i didnt think was too bad. Went to a windscreen place and asked how much to change the rear window over and they want £40 plus VAT. Makes the tinting look cheap really. Just dont know if i want them tinted or not?

Pete.
Post #55141 26th Jan 2011 5:44pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I suppose the question would be why do you want them tinted, do you need them tinted, why are you thinking about them Question
Post #55148 26th Jan 2011 6:13pm
Zinke

Zagato wrote:
I suppose the question would be why do you want them tinted, do you need them tinted, why are you thinking about them Question

Trying to do a number of things really. I want to protect the heating element and increase security a bit too. Kinda half and half on the looks of it. I normally use my side mirrors to reverse so not too bothered about that.

Pete.
Post #55178 26th Jan 2011 7:51pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Zagato wrote:

I had a decent sweatshirt stashed in the back 'just in case' two summers ago and it fades severely in a matter of days! I have a 95% tint and it stops gawpers, aids security if you have anything of value, cooler in the Summer and will prevent UV deterioration of the leather seats, what's more (down to personal opinion of course) I think it looks cool too! Thumbs Up

There's another thread that gives prices and recommendations too! Do a search!!! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #55180 26th Jan 2011 7:53pm
TRR Motorsport

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Galway Green
I had the tinting graded from front to back on my 110CSW (5%, 30% 50% from the A-pillars back). It works well and doesn't look like a van as some B-pillar back tint jobs do. I only had it done to hide the gear in the back when out rallying otherwise i wouldn't have bothered.

One bit of advice, if you're having it done professionally take the door cards off before you have it done. the company that did mine came highly recommended (based just south of Leicester) but managed to break most of the plastic retaining clips (easily done) on the door cards. what p!ssed me off though was that rather than refitting new ones or telling me and knocking £20 off the price they stuck the door cards on with black Sikaflex.

Unsupriisingly I tore them a new R-sole when I found out.

Since then I've fixed clear security film to the glass in several Rally cars (now an MSA requirement) and found it to be an easy process provided you treat the glass and work environment like an operating theatre. "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #55287 27th Jan 2011 1:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>