↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Paramo Trousers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

Paramo Trousers
I'm after a decent pair of waterproof trousers. Had a good look around the net and it seems the Paramo Cascada 2 trousers get good reviews.
Anyone use them or have used them in the past? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #601002 11th Feb 2017 7:59pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I swear by anything made by Paramo as being the best out there, I have worn their outdoor clothes for years and as long as you treat them with Nixwax products they outperform all others.

Secondly I also swear by Buffalo system clothing almost on par with Paramo http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ which are also fantastic and are UK made in Sheffield. In fact you can also get Buffalo to tailor make you clothing to fit For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #601011 11th Feb 2017 8:35pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mark, you know my views on their kit, its good stuff. Endorse everything as above. I use paramo and buffalo combinations for 90% of what I do outside now.

I don't have a specific set of those trs. Have some of their other waterproof trs they are still Great after for years Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #601013 11th Feb 2017 8:45pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just to add if you register their clothing on the Paramo website they are almost guaranteed for life

I also go fishing in Buffalo clothing and often wade in them and the water just runs off the clothing as if by magic…. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #601016 11th Feb 2017 8:50pm
walfy

jst wrote:
Mark, you know my views on their kit, its good stuff. Endorse everything as above. I use paramo and buffalo combinations for 90% of what I do outside now.

I don't have a specific set of those trs. Have some of their other waterproof trs they are still Great after for years

Yes fully aware of your views Thumbs Up . I'm just getting into Paramo, just purchased a jkt and need some decent trousers for when I'm out with the dogs and instructing.

Which trs do you have? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #601030 11th Feb 2017 9:15pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I have been using Paramo since 2004 as my main posh waterproofs. (as in not Offroading or pressure washing the landy off) and I have nothing but praise for the brand. I have been up in the hills in some pretty inclement conditions and have stayed comfortable and dry. A big factor in my choice at the time was best performance in poor conditions and really as an endorsement was the number or mountain rescue teams using it.

I will add that If you do a lot of sitting or kneeling then water will get through because of the nature of the fabric, but it will soon be removed back out again. If you do then a more typical membrane fabric will be more appropriate at the cost of less breathability.

Either way the cascada and the latest cascada 2 are a comfy and easy wearing trousers, Some waterproof ones feel restrictive but not these. I like the full length zips for not just putting them on but for constant temperature adjustment during the day whatever the activity level.
Post #601045 11th Feb 2017 10:09pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Blimey Buffalo that is a name from the past!

Going back a few err years read decades. Did some interesting tests on Buffalo gear. These were in the days of Hamish having the Buffalo kit made up by Hutch of Mountain Equipment in Glossop. Now proper environmental test chambers for testing clothing as such were not readily available.

At the time I was active in caving and employed in the Physics Dept at the University of Leeds. Some initial testing of the first Buffalo sleeping bags were done by Dave Brook and John Keighley in the Textile department. The environmental fridge there was not so big or good.

About this time of the year we went to Bleaklow Head and the 'lucky' volunteers stripped to undies and boots exposed to the kind winds at the time plus the odd bucket of water. I had borrowed a large reel of thermocouple wire plus some Comark thermometer meters which were about the size of a house brick.

The sleeping bags were a hideous pink colour and tulip shaped so impossible to move legs independent of each other as lower leg room was so restricted They did their job well.

Later that year we were caving in the Pierre St Martin in the Pyrenees at the time the deepest known cave in the world. Three of the team got hit by flood waters in the lower reaches of the cave. Think it was Paul who was suffering from severe hypothermia. A few hours in the sleeping bag and his body temperature improved significantly so he could make his own way out of the Meanders

Just done a quick google of PSM and now La Verna is a show cave. In some respects a great pity however good to see some photographs again.

As I said a blast from the past and apologies if have gone to far OT.

Brendan
Post #601060 11th Feb 2017 11:09pm
Dave Bellis

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Paramo gear is spot on I'd never have anything else.... impressed with Buffalo stuff as well but for waterproof stuff Paramo...
Post #601062 11th Feb 2017 11:12pm
walfy

Only Buffalo kit I have ever seen or used was a green waterproof fleece lined jacket many years ago. Must of been late 80's or early 90's when I was serving in Germany. Didn't like it much back then so haven't really looked at it.
Perhaps it's time to have another look. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #601064 11th Feb 2017 11:18pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Giliaron, Walfy, many many thanks for this thread. Bow down

It has certainly provoked some memories in me. Have just been looking up the sizes of La Verna and Carlista chambers. Barbara is looking at me a bit dumb struck as I find surveys and photos of the chambers. We surveyed those chambers by compass and clinometers by the light of old stinkys. Carbide lights to those who do not know A lot different to using LEd headlights and laser measurements.

Strange how an innocent enquiry from one forum member can stir the memories of another forum member.

Brendan
Post #601073 11th Feb 2017 11:52pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Cheap high gear for me at work and if it's really bad 2 pairs Rolling with laughter I have a Nak of burning them Shocked also got some police issue Gortex which are great.
Post #601075 12th Feb 2017 12:01am
walfy

No worries, I get the same. Someone makes an offhand comment in a conversation and it sparks memories from years ago. After traveling the world whilst serving you tend to have a story for most incidents. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #601077 12th Feb 2017 12:02am
walfy

@Mick, After reading your post and noticing your location, they 2 pieces of information just go together perfectly Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #601079 12th Feb 2017 12:04am
L110CDL

England 
Good thread this is, i have been using Hoggs heavy duty gortex waterproofs for work ( cant think of the name of the line) but they have stopped making them now Big Cry So i'm trying to find something which is as good or better than them, can any of you wise people help me ? The new line of Hoggs gortex outdoor wear is thin and wont last 2 seconds at work Big Cry
Many thanks. 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #601083 12th Feb 2017 12:15am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge

And when the proverbial hits the fan this comes out Rolling with laughter
Post #601084 12th Feb 2017 12:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>