↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Buzzweld, Dinitrol?, wax oil for series III
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Buzzweld, Dinitrol?, wax oil for series III
Hello

I'm looking at one of the first jobs once I get the Series back to do is rubbing down the underside and rust proofing / covering underneath and general tidy and clean inside and out.

What's best for this, I like the idea of the 'paint' type' solution rather than a spray.

This caught my eye and buzzweld seems to be the latest Buzz word...

http://buzzweld.com/products/buzzweld-rcp-rust-control-primer

Then a top coat?

People who have done this how much would I need to do the chassis and underneath 'bits' on a 88"

Then for the cross member?

Help... what do people think Very Happy

Thanks
Post #598037 31st Jan 2017 4:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The principal is, of course, no different for a Series III as it would be for a 90 or 110. It's just steel.

If you'd like a painted solution though, take a look at POR15. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #598046 31st Jan 2017 4:27pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Bear in mind that you would have to COMPLETEY eradicate existing rust before you use any product which will cover in a hard fashion. Short of taking the body off and shot blasting the chassis this is pretty impossible and you still have the inside to sort. All that you will be doing is covering up rust which is probably worse than if you did nothing especially if the hard covering is compromised as moisture is just trapped inside without being able to dry out. Hard or really thick coatings look great and are easy for the person doing the job but ultimately hide the ongoing rot underneath.

If you really want to look after your chassis it is best to be able to keep an eye on it and be able to retreat any areas over time. This is why clear products are becoming more popular. Dinitrol and Bilt Hamber both do a clear covering after any areas have been acid converted. Thick or hard layers can hide some real horror stories! Even when they have just been done!! You also cannot get to certain areas with a brush, spraying is the only way, sometimes with a 360 degree spray extension nozzle.

If you are doing a lot of off roading then you need to find a balance and treat more often. For road use you are in classic car territory. I am doing a non forum member 1991 military chassis which is in really good nick but has surface rust, chemicals alone will not kill all the rust despite getting as much off as possible so I am applying Dinitrol in Aersols which gives a nice smart matt black finish. It will however need touching up again in four years as recommended by Dinitrol. Not hard to do if you are practical or use ordinary chassis paint that will show when the rust comes back through. POR-15 has it,s uses on axles etc that would take years to rot out!
Post #598055 31st Jan 2017 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Hi Stacey007.

You are right in thinking that a paint will work better than a spray application, the tricky part comes in the actual painting of a chassis 'in situ' and of course the age old issue that any open to air box sections like a land rover chassis do rust from the inside out, so just a solid outer coating will look grand but the insides will still be turning into ferrous oxide.

It is because this that the ability of spray based products appeal and are popular to do the inside and out at the same time during the application time period.

As you are a proud owner of a series vehicle I would recommend the series 2 club forum as a good 'mine' of information regarding ownership and maintenance, there is a few of us here who get their series itch scratched there.

Waxoyl has dropped from favour of late due to advances of other products and so really it only stands as a retreatment plan if already applied as mixing products could lead to a reaction and such lack of protection. Lack of competition as well helped, looking back into the late 70's in the old motoring literature references I have found was either Waxoyl or occasional mention of the Ziebart coatings.

Both Dinitrol and Bilthambers range are what as alluded to above the modern techniques that have usurped Waxoyl's crown as a rust proofing go to. They have been on the market for a enough time (6+ years) to have a proven and testable record of actually doing a job. Not to mention that Bilthamber even had a independent Laboratory test which speaks volume's as to factually proving a product, as against anecdotal evidence as nice as it is to have a loyal consumer base who support a product it alone isn't to be trusted 100% as true representation of a product.

Either way Dinitrol's 3125 or Bilthamber's Dynax S50 are two proven items that will work for you as a cavity wax to treat the internal box sections to arrest and prevent further rusting.

Paintwise to follow this path then there isn't a magic wonder coating it is down to layers of coatings to provide complete protection as this is proven to work. There is a base coat with a stable mid coat (or two) and with a protective top coat. and depending on the vase metal and it's environment will vary what is recommended. IMHO the chassis of any vehicle is tantamount to just below operating in a marine environment unless you only use it on the one day of the year we have a heatwave.

So paint: Bilthamber 2 pack, POR15 or KBS Rustseal will work excellent as a very hardwearing product. These do rely on a process of prep - prime - paint which shouldn't deter you from actually achieving a through and long lasting coating, although you don't truly have to use their products to prime as I have used Teamac Zinc oxide primer as undercoat with a KBS Rustseal top coat and this worked well on my 90 project axles. but as above it is anecdotal so make as much of it as you will.
Jotun is another name to look at as having a long proven history of quality coatings and for you application use their two pack paint over the top of their epoxy mastic although at a pinch you could get away with the topcoat as the chassis isn't in Direct sunlight so UV degradation of the pigments is lessened
UV stability on long term exposure will also affect the KBS and POR15 so in your painting anything UV exposed will need a topcoat that is UV stable. In POR15 and KBS they do a Chassis black which applied over the main coat which is UV stable.

If unsure ask the manufacturer about their product and it's UV stability. Be wary as for some projects a so called wonder one coat becomes a three coat process at additional cost and time if you don't want to be greeted by fading and surface breakdown in a few years. I take my case in point to hammerite which applied through the folly of youth hasn't weather too well so an interest in what works pays dividends.

And we wonder why the wax based spray on coatings have a large following. Wink Apart from the need to reapply every few years if needed, they are a bit less fiddly to apply just a damm good clean and surface degrease, mask then apply. So to me that is the options and a simple forum post turns into a lecture LOL.

See

Corus and NPL Corrosion protection guide
NPL guide for surface preparation
NPL guide for coatings for the protection...teel work
Jotamastic 80
KBS Rustseal
POR 15
Bilthamber Dynax S50
Bilthamber Epoxy Mastic
Dinitrol 3125
Post #598071 31st Jan 2017 6:37pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ wow great reply's,

Your right of course my 'modern' defender needs the same treatment as the series but I need something I can do at home on axle stands and ramps. I only mentioned wax oil as we used this years ago and used a friends 'pit' to slap it on a chassis on our classic mini Smile

Zagato, Body off job would be nice but that's not for now, another time. I would like to do what I can to get a bit longer out of the bulkhead and chassis I have though in a DIY form.

so in this order.

Jet wash underneath as best I can?
Brush off any old rust / grime / mud with a wire brush
Let it dry over a few days
Dinitrol 3125 for spraying inside the box sections.
Bilthamber 2 pack, POR15 or KBS Rustseal as a chassis first layer.
Top coat POR15 or KBS in Chassis black

Does the above seem to make sense, I will have to ready the lins you sent also about the products.

If I have understood you right the only bit to spray on would be the 3125 with I guess a long nozzle on the spray to get in the chassis?

Many thanks for the replys
Post #598088 31st Jan 2017 7:35pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Yup.

As above you could just go for a wax spray like e.g. Dintrol 4941 or Bilthamber UC / UB and spray the external chassis areas. Or do the paint process you described.

To degrease once the chassis has been rubbed down then something akin to Bilthamber's Surfex HD to clean and degrease ready for paint.

There is other paints out there but after my research as laid down in my above post that is the route I would go down. I do have a new Galvy chassis for my Series IIA and that'll be getting T-wash, Epoxy mastic - POR15 top coat. A similar setup for what I will do to the 110 this year but i'm going to BH Dynax and UB the chassis and box sections.

You can get a Dinitrol Lance to work on their aerosol cans for the chassis, bulkhead, doortops etc etc
Post #598104 31st Jan 2017 8:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I REALLY would think twice about putting on any hard coat, despite treatments you will just be sealing rust in and it will continue to rot underneath Shocked . Once covered you won,t be able to maintain the chassis properly. I have had so many in that have had hard coatings of various sorts and underneath is just damp rot where moisture has got in from edges, chassis holes etc that have rusted where you cannot get a paint brush or for instance a drain hole edge where paint meets metal again where you cannot cover. It may look good for quite a few years but it will be rotting like hell underneath. Even brushing on old engine oil, waxoyl etc regularly would be better than half sealing in areas. It,s like squeezing spots on some of them, brown water just oozes out Sad
Post #598156 31st Jan 2017 10:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If you prep the metal properly before painting with por15 then the paint seals the metal and rust and doesn't let any more rust develop. Read up on por15 website as that is exactly what it was made for. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #598170 31st Jan 2017 11:35pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rioja Red
Zagato wrote:
I REALLY would think twice about putting on any hard coat, despite treatments you will just be sealing rust in and it will continue to rot underneath Shocked . Once covered you won,t be able to maintain the chassis properly. I have had so many in that have had hard coatings of various sorts and underneath is just damp rot where moisture has got in from edges, chassis holes etc that have rusted where you cannot get a paint brush or for instance a drain hole edge where paint meets metal again where you cannot cover. It may look good for quite a few years but it will be rotting like hell underneath. Even brushing on old engine oil, waxoyl etc regularly would be better than half sealing in areas. It,s like squeezing spots on some of them, brown water just oozes out Sad

I would totally agree with Zagato on this, I purchased a 1996 Defender 90 last summer and I am gradually bringing it up to a respectable standard. When I bought it the chassis looked pretty good and had been coated with a 'hard' black coating, not paint, what I am finding is either the coating comes off in sheets with damp corroded metal behind it, in some places, or it sticks like s**t to a blanket in others and is extremely difficult to remove to prepare the surface for any other protection.

My approach so far has been to remove the existing coating, clean using wire wheels, flap wheels, wire brushes, sandpaper etc, treat with Bilthamber rust converter, spray with Bilthamber high zinc primer and then paint with Paintman chassis black. My next step is to treat the inside of the chassis with Fertan ( http://www.fertan.co.uk/how_to_use_fertan.htm ), using a spray lance and compressor, to neutralise the rust inside the chassis. Finally I intend to spray the inside of any box sections with Bilthamber dynax S-50 and the outside of the chassis with Bilthambers clear protective wax so that I can see what is going on.

I have used both Dinitrol and Bilthamber products with quite a good degree of success on Classic MGBs and BGTs over the years but usually on new metal as the sills, floor pans etc have usually dissolved completely and had to be replaced, if it does not work on my 90 plan B will be a galvanised chassis and bulkhead.

If anyone has had any experience of using Fertan to halt existing rust I would be very interested to hear from them.

Best of luck with your project Thumbs Up
Post #598196 1st Feb 2017 1:45am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
mk1collector wrote:
If you prep the metal properly before painting with por15 then the paint seals the metal and rust and doesn't let any more rust develop. Read up on por15 website as that is exactly what it was made for.

I,m afraid companies claim a lot about their products BUT you won,t stop the rust 100%, you are just slowing it down largely by stopping oxygen getting to it and by the initial rust treatment. You are then just sealing It in and unable to address future rot. I used POR-15 twenty years ago on my Series II ground up rebuild, excellent stuff, rock hard, will never get rust through it BUT I only used it on a NOS military axle and the original rear axle as it was in good shape and would take years to rot through.

Careful of some of the POR-15 rust removal products such as marine clean etc. It's an American product where environmentally friendly regulations make it next to useless for serious rust. You really have to get rust almost back to bare metal for most of these acid convertors etc to work. They only work effectively on a thin layer of rust... not easy when you cannot get machinery in to all the nooks and crannies, top of chassis etc.

Have fun with your Series One, have you any pictures. I will put a pic up later of the military one I am working on at present. VERY NICE Cool
Post #598209 1st Feb 2017 9:22am
forever

United Kingdom 
Or the other option is to leave as is and save to get it replaced with a galvanised chassis when it becomes too bad...
In my view thats really the only option and one which will not need doing again or at least not in my lifetime..
Post #598218 1st Feb 2017 10:25am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ That is an option,

But a chassis could be a bit like triggers brush, 8 new heads and 5 brooms but its still the old chassis so you can patch them up, put new bits in etc etc...

A galvanized chassis fitted is probably a few thousand? If I can buy the products for a few hundred and it lasts longer and looks better then that's all good Smile
Post #598220 1st Feb 2017 10:36am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Top tip...just drop it off with Zagato and let him wave his magic wand over it! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #598221 1st Feb 2017 10:40am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ I would but its a looooooong trip in a series,

Plus I do like the satisfaction of doing jobs myself (not disputing he would do a better job)

Thumbs Up

PS, He has just given me some great advice, Top Bloke Thumbs Up
Post #598225 1st Feb 2017 11:03am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Do you do your own welding?
From my experience of mid seventies Series vehicles they manage to rot from inside of the chassis out. So a really good clean and dry and then rust proofing treatment will help. However if it has been used on a farm or around other dung you will see that the corrosion has really got into it and find the steel completely gone. Once you have realised you need to change several outriggers maybe spring hangers and a rear cross member, £1500 for a new galvanised chassis seems quite a bargain. It is such a nicer experience building up from a solid clean chassis than heading out for another day of oil soaked clothes and burnt arms as you try to fabricate in another section of chassis rail. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #598253 1st Feb 2017 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>