↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Central Locking fault on drivers door in cold weather ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JamesRS4

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Central Locking fault on drivers door in cold weather ?
Hi Chaps,

Have just joined the forum as we have recently returned to UK after living in NZ for 4 years . I wonder if anyone can help . My wifes 57 plate UK Landy ( purchased here )110XS has developed a fault with the central locking on the drivers door. It only occurs so far, on very cold mornings and when you press the remote to unlock , the other doors unlock but the drivers one repeatedly unlocks and locks then finally stays locked ? If you sit in the vehicle and try to lift the button on the door it pops down again.

Its no problem once the car is warmed , it only happens when left overnight and it is frosty etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

Thanks
James
Post #54122 20th Jan 2011 3:44pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Very common problem. Strip the door down a lube everything up, this normally stops the problem. There is also a problem of something in the door catching, cant remember what exactly as i havent had to do it myself but im sure somebody on here knows.

Pete.
Post #54125 20th Jan 2011 3:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
18stone

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Oh no!! Please don't say this is still an ongoing problem in Pumas too!! I've just endured years of similar behaviour from my TD5 and I have got a new UXS on order- hoping to leave behind such issues. The colour has drained from my face....
Post #54126 20th Jan 2011 3:50pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Its a Land Rover, so dont expect the problems to be ironed out for another 60 years or so Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #54127 20th Jan 2011 3:52pm
JamesRS4

Very Happy Wow that was fast ! Thanks Zinke for your comments . 18 Stone, sorry if I have ruined your day !

Cheers
Post #54130 20th Jan 2011 3:57pm
18stone

Big Cry

All too true KotS.
Post #54131 20th Jan 2011 4:01pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
My last Puma was fine but I had the same thing on he same door on my new one before Xmas. Removed the door card, checked and lubricated everything, door card back on and it has been fine since. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #54145 20th Jan 2011 6:23pm
JamesRS4

Thanks Chaps ! It's nice to know it is a reasonably easy fix .

James
Post #54160 20th Jan 2011 7:40pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Make sure the locking button is running smoothly and that the guide it runs in isn't bunged up with dust or badly adjusted, there are two securing screws but the holes are slotted which give you a bit of adjustment. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #54162 20th Jan 2011 7:54pm
Arctic

If you fit a Webasto heater (or similar) then you should avoid these issues. Very good for the engine too and pretty much essential up North here. No need to scrape any windows in the morning either!
Post #54286 21st Jan 2011 9:26am
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
ACF-50
Post #54290 21st Jan 2011 9:46am
18stone

Arctic wrote:
If you fit a Webasto heater (or similar) then you should avoid these issues. Very good for the engine too and pretty much essential up North here. No need to scrape any windows in the morning either!

I used exactly that excuse to persuade my missus that a Webasto would be a good investment on our TD5. Alas, the door problem persisted but, you're right, great to drive a TD5 from first off running smoothly with a warm cabin too. Thumbs Up
Post #54311 21st Jan 2011 10:43am
wurzell

United Kingdom 
hi Very Happy ive just joined this forum weve owned our puma since march 2010 and we are having a real problem with our central locking on frosty mornings,we took it to our local dealer late last year when the frosts started and explained exactly what was happening ie that when unlocking the vehicle on a frosty morning the central locking would constantly lock and unlock in quick succesion,they said theyve checked it over and cant see a problem (well they wouldnt of because it wasnt frosty)however if it continued to occur the technician said to ring up and tell the dealer to order a new central locking module which i did a week last monday 17th january they rang on tuesday of this week to book me in on wednesday 26th to fit it ,iwent there and waited, 1 1/2 hours later they called me over to the desk to say they cant find a problem with the central locking so havent done anything to it ,i was livid with them i explained its my wifes car and that it keeps letting her down leaving her locked out of the vehicle to which they said ring land rover assist ,so im now still stuck with this problem and i just dont know what to do im very concerned for my wife as she could be stranded somewhere not able to get in the vehicle has anybody had this problem and had the dealer fix it if so any details would be great please, when this is happening on a work day and we cant get in she is using my 1966 series 2a to commute so rendering the puma useless which isnt why i bought it for her, sorry its a bit long winded but im very frustrated with my local dealer and the vehicle Twisted Evil Big Cry cheers paul
Post #55592 29th Jan 2011 11:48am
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Quote:
ACF-50

As above spray lock with ACF-50 to stop it freezing up. Do a search on this forum for same problem
Post #55601 29th Jan 2011 1:09pm
wurzell

United Kingdom 
hi all Bow down i dont beleive it i did what the last post said yesterday, many thanks cobs, and this morning we had a very hard frost and i went out at 7 and the land rover unlocked imediately, this has never happened on a frosty day in the 10 months weve owned it im chuffed to bits and the wife is very happy as well i just wished id looked on this forum before but i didnt know it existed until i googled the fault and it came up with this forum i am a long running member of another forum and view that everyday and will do the same on here now once again many thanks paul n tash Thumbs Up
Post #55728 30th Jan 2011 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>