↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Intermittent Puma Starting Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I know it is unsettling, intermittent faults are a nightmare. I think Agentmulder is correct though. It only takes a single pin on a connector to be misaligned to upset the whole system. You may well have sorted the problem by undoing all your connectors, and refitting.
If you think any of your connectors are damp or corroded, although they look ok in your pictures - Servisol super10 cleaner and lubricator has worked well for me.
Fingers crossed.
Post #598238 1st Feb 2017 12:17pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Balvaig

You may well be right and thanks for the recommendation for a Connector Cleaner...I did resit giving these a squirt of WD40 at the time, thinking that they 'designed / installed' dry and I don't want to make this worse,
but had read about 'contact cleaners' so put this off until more sure...the thing is they all looked like they didn't need cleaning.

I sat there with a magnifying glass, and a water colour brush and gently cleaned each pin, and checked both it's alignment and seating position, I detected no movement, corrosion or anything that would give me any concern.

I guess that's why I currently feel 'vulnerable' as my Defender appeared to be getting worst, with intermittent starting once every 2-3 months, moving to once a month then, probably each week...something appeared to be breaking down but semi functioning.

I wrongly became convinced that it was either a failing Battery, Starter Motor, or an obvious Connection.

What I should have done is just unplug one thing, check, reinstate and test...but i didn't so I don't know if it was the 10AS or IPAC...it may well be neither and I still have 'my gremlin'... Twisted Evil

Thanks again for the input from D2N... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #598249 1st Feb 2017 12:43pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I would only use contact cleaner where I have identified damp/corrosion. Don't particularly like WD40 in these circumstances.
What you have done in cleaning the connectors etc. is possibly your answer. You may well have inadvertently sorted the problem. You can get what is called a 'dry joint' on electrical circuits/connectors. This is where the solder or crimping looks ok but is not completing the circuit or has high resistance. Very difficult to find, but again dismantling the connectors can solve the problem.
I would agree though that you will worry for a while that the problem will return.
Post #598256 1st Feb 2017 1:29pm
dorsetsmith

wiring and connectors may be your problem see below link

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtZSoWFHDgnGjEo2khSBxxUMyu3W
Post #598295 1st Feb 2017 5:27pm
X4SKP

Thanks dorsetsmith...added to my X File... Exclamation

I currently have a 'working' Defender, and have checked to see any logged fault codes (when it didn't)...there are none, using a ScangaugeII...I was hoping to see maybe something like...

P1602 Immobiliser / engine control module communication error

Do you know if these Codes are lost when the Main Battery is disconnected or is there some sort of a 'power supply' / 'backup battery' within the ECU, maintaining 'data'... Question SKIP
Post #598296 1st Feb 2017 5:46pm
dorsetsmith

Not shore with ford ECU
Post #598300 1st Feb 2017 5:55pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Well I'm back where I started...(possibly). After around 10 days of A Starting Defender (Tested 2 or 3 Times each day) She failed to start today and now (apparently) does not start at all...tried 4 times.

In a way a problem that stays (more often than not) maybe easier to sort than an intermittent one (but I have been here before and tomorrow she may well fire into life).

So my new approach is test one thing at a time and check again...

Currently It appears that I have No 12V power at C0151-87 (checking again tomorrow to be sure).
The Brown / Red Wire provides the Trigger Current to the Starter Motor...This wire connects (at some point unknown to me) to a green wire (Connector C0448-M C0182-M) that makes it way right to the Starter Motor.

To recap so far New Main Battery, Starter Motor and Starter Rely, Main Battery and Transfer Box Earth Straps Cleaned and Refitted, IPAC and 10AS Connectors disconnected, Visually Checked, lightly cleaned and reconnected.

Scangauge II reveals No Fault Codes.

If I'm right there are a number of reasons why the Relay Starter wouldn't provide the required 12V trigger current
as the ECM (Engine Control Module) is connected here via C0151-85

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Could my problem be the Camshaft Position Sensor... Question
When she Starts she runs as she should, but would a CPS 'failing' possibly lead to my problem... Question

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

LR0 04492

Click image to enlarge

Sensor Position on Engine

Or is this unlikely... Question

I don't see where the Camshaft Position Sensor is connected to the ECM (if it is)
there is a Crankshaft Position Sensor shown, but I assume this is a different Sensor... Question

Any thought welcome...(Thanks) SKIP
Post #601363 12th Feb 2017 11:26pm
X4SKP

blackwolf wrote:
I presume you have checked all battery and earth connections?

custom90steve wrote:
Earthing may be an issue, worth checking.

Am I right to work with this diagram and does it really show the Earth Positions on a Defender... Question

Anyone got anything better... Question

Click image to enlarge

I haven't checked All the Earths / I've only 'done' the two 'Main Earths' Battery and Gearbox (are there more... Question)

Is the ECM Earthed through its Fixings to the Bulkhead... Question

I'm so hoping that I get to something 'visually obvious' here, or exchange a Part that achieves a long term fix.

Thanks to those who have helped me with this... SKIP
Post #601367 13th Feb 2017 12:09am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have you checked the ignition feeds on the ignition barell?

Without looking into in depth that wire seems to be yellow.
That could well signify something with the actual ignition wiring.

I wouldn't get too tied up with the actual electronics as they rarely do go wrong. It's more likely a phisical connector or possibly a wire break.
As it's intermittent it should to me like broken cable, or connector pin.
As suggested it only takes one.

You'd have thought it would detect it and flag it but it's obviously not quite that clever.

There are various relays under the drivers seatbox that are also critical to starting and running.
Worth checking Relay bases too.

Hope you can find the issue, I know how much of a headache it can be. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #601369 13th Feb 2017 12:12am
X4SKP

Hi custom90steve...

Ignition Switch
The Permanent Live to the Ignition Switch via A59 (NW / Brown - White Stripe)...is OK

Turn Ignition Switch to Crank Position and the Permanent Live (NW / Brown - White Stripe) is switched and Connected to the (WR / White Red) Wire and sent to Starter Relay...so OK

The Ignition Switch looks to be a Lucas part (early 1970's... Question) which despite falling short of later more secure versions (which lead me to fit a X-Defend) does appear to work as it should on mine.

I have removed the X-Defend replacing the induction coil in its original position and this makes no difference
and had run the Defender for 6 months with the induction coil 'relocated' to its nearby position, so am reasonably
sure it is not this... I would have thought that other D2N members who have fitted the X-Defend would have possibly
had the same issue as I'm experiencing if this was a problem

Thanks c90s... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #601371 13th Feb 2017 12:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Have you tried running with PI disabled yet?
Post #601403 13th Feb 2017 9:49am
X4SKP

Hello blackwolf...NO

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10829....ostic+tool

Don't have the tool to do this...and in truth don't really understand why it should (may be) this

Am I right that if the PI is OFF All that is taken out of the starting sequence is the energising of the Induction Loop around the Ignition Switch and its 'pairing' with the Key Fob at Start Up... Question

I think also the Fob Communicates with the Induction Loop periodically when the engine is running...but don't know this

Have spoken to Land Rover about this very issue..they say they have never switched off the PI on the request of a customer (one dealer one view point maybe)

I also spoke to Paul Brown at Technozen about this and he felt my 'problem' lay else where (but maybe not... Exclamation )
https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/la...-services/

I'm going to replace All Relays under the Drivers Seat and in the process check / pinch tighten all crimp connectors for the incoming / outgoing wires

This issue is starting to get to me... Exclamation All <30 successful starts in the last week and half have been made without stopping the vehicle 'off site'... I just don't trust it currently so have to sort this

I also listed what I'v done and what I'm experiencing to Land Rover and I could just tell they had a reluctance
to take it on...they are booked out for around a month ahead...with 'easy' work unbolt X bolt on X, service etc and
probably don't want to subject a customer to a 'search and find' exercise where their financial tolerance would be tested...all with a vehicle that can run OK multiple times and then not

One developing aspect to this is when she fails she appears to fail for longer, which i'm taking as a positive in my quest to get to the bottom of this

thanks for you help here... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #601419 13th Feb 2017 10:55am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
It's not just the pins that can be faulty, it's actually more likely to be what Balvaig suggests, which is the wire connection to the connector pins. Sometimes soldered, sometimes crimped, sometimes just just jammed in to a kind of spring loaded thingy. In a multiplug cable the shortest wire often takes the lion share of any tension and can break, but then be 'connected' again when the force that broke it is removed. Sometimes all it takes is temperature differences or a butterfly farting in Antartica to make or break the connection again. Similar effect applies to joints on PCBs

A way to test it is to 'beep out' the cable with a multimeter continuity tester (home made version could be an LED, resistor and small battery if you like). Access - as with many automobile issues - will be a pain in the rear Neutral

Sorry, it's no help at the moment though, just keep being methodical Wink Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #601426 13th Feb 2017 11:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
RE. PI, yes, all that is removed is the dialogue between the car and the fob.

The reason I suggest turning it off is that it takes less than a minute and if it changes nothing, you've ruled out a very common source of problems. If it solves your problem you have immediately identified your problem. All for the sake of one minute or so and testing over several days.

Even if you choose to leave it disabled, does it increase your risk of theft? I doubt it. The villains won't know it's off, and they get round PI anyway (it is very easy to do). The vehicle when parked and locked is still immobilised.

If disabling it makes no difference, turn it on again.

I can only speak from my own experience, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. When I bought my 2007 Puma, it would fail to start about one time in 4. Starting performance improved when I tightened the relay connections under the seat but still failed perahps one in ten times. If I operated the electric windows whilst waiting for the glowplug warning light to extinguish (ie whilst the fob/coil dialogue is in progress) it would NEVER start. This was 100% repeatable. Main dealer was flummoxed. I wasted weeks trying to diagnose this, then I switched off PI. After that I couldn't provoke starter failure and it never failed to start. So an instant diagnosis with 100% certainty of the area in which the problem lay, and easy enough then to sort out.
Post #601429 13th Feb 2017 11:44am
MartnH

Australia 
HI guys,,
sorry to digress but today the 10AS Unit in my defender caught on fire...
actually not fire but lots of smoke.
the upper middle three pins on the grey plug and short circuited...

should I replace the unit? my understanding is that its not exactly a 10AS but a updated one...

please help
thanks
Martin
Post #693471 15th Mar 2018 9:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>