Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Maggiolina roof tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rover

United Kingdom 
Maggiolina roof tent
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice, 15 years ago I had a maggiolina roof tent. It was a fantastic piece of kit, I sold it due to having kids and no where to store it. Now the kids have grown up I’m looking at another roof tent and would automatically go back to a maggiolina grand tour. Other roof tents are now on the market and I can not find anyone in the uk that is a dealer for maggiolina. Boab don’t have any and have heard of warranty issues too.

James Baroud are available and so are roof box but I prefer the scissor mechanism than a gas strut, and the vids I have seen of the James Baroud look a faff to store away especially with the height of the Defender.

What’s you’re thoughts, are maggiolina as good as they used to be.
Post #885430 14th Feb 2021 10:26am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Maggotliner all the way. Loved ours used it hundreds of times.

Have you spoken to Brendan at 4X4 Overlander?
Post #885450 14th Feb 2021 11:41am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The Autohome Columbus - pop-up wedge shape - is great for an almost instant set up and stowage. Same brand and build quality as the Maggi. There is loads more head room too, feeling less claustrophobic. There's less space at the foot end of the tent, but how big are your feet?

I got mine from Brendan, 6 years ago. Thumbs Up
Post #885463 14th Feb 2021 1:03pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
it seems a fair few UK dealers of James Baroud has stopped suppling them and dealing in the last 12 mths, i dont know why.

I have a maggi, 10 years old, waterproof still and works a treat everytime. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #885465 14th Feb 2021 1:22pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
The world of roof tents has changed quite a bit since you had your Maggi 15 years ago, there are now lots more options of design and manufacture. I looked a Maggi style tents but i found then a bit limited and i ended up with an iKamper. They take up the same roof footprint but open out to a much larger sleeping area, they also have the option of a zip on awning or a full annex.
Post #885471 14th Feb 2021 1:37pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
For a while I also had my eye on the iKamper, but I think I'm going roofnest Falcon. I wanted something as slim as possible, (just 7" closed), instant open and close (nothing to fold out), aluminium body for strength and/or any occasion I want to strap something on top. Lightweight too. Half the weight of a similar standard roof box. And at . Thumbs Up

https://roofnest.com/product/falcon/

And if you want a double opening roof box like the Maggionlina but want to support a British start up, there's always these guys.

https://tentbox.com Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #885484 14th Feb 2021 3:57pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
The Maggi is an old design but it works. I wouldn’t have any thing else, mainly due to the fact that the roof is what you rely on to be dry, and with a Maggi you are not relying on fabric. For the same reason I wouldn’t have a wedge roof tent. In a standard Maggi the rain falls on to the roof and runs off never really touching the fabric sides. You don’t hear the rain, you stay dry, and it doesn’t flap around in the wind as you are pulling the fabric tight, unlike unfolding tents. Mattress, pillows, duvet all stay inside, so keeps dry, and saves room inside the vehicle.
Post #885488 14th Feb 2021 4:15pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Maggi all the time. The best. Thumbs Up
Post #885497 14th Feb 2021 4:40pm
rover

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your replies, next port of call is Brendan. Looked on his website and it shows maggiolina small air lander, will see if he can supply medium grand tour.
Post #885516 14th Feb 2021 5:58pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
As above,, on my 4th maggi in 15 plus years ? and in the mood for another at present

Just looked at the names posted above for alternatives Baroud and UK dealers seam to have disappeared ?

The rest, really as Andy says, a proper solid top, rather that a canvas, Even in a good few storms last winter, stayed dry and no canvas flapping , Plus the fact, no other RTT keeps their value better than a maggi, may be a old design, but it passed the test of time California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #885557 14th Feb 2021 9:07pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Grenadier wrote:
For a while I also had my eye on the iKamper, but I think I'm going roofnest Falcon. I wanted something as slim as possible, (just 7" closed), instant open and close (nothing to fold out), aluminium body for strength and/or any occasion I want to strap something on top. Lightweight too. Half the weight of a similar standard roof box. And at . Thumbs Up

And if you want a double opening roof box like the Maggionlina but want to support a British start up, there's always these guys.

https://tentbox.com

Falcon looks interesting. Are you able to buy from a supplier in Europe, or do you need to buy direct from the US?
Out of interest, why does this win over the Tentbox Cargo?
Post #885559 14th Feb 2021 9:25pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:

https://tentbox.com

Interestingly the falcon looks nearon identical to the tentbox cargo which in turn looks the sam as the direct4x4 clamshell.
The word on the roof tent forums is that the latter 2 come out of the same factory in china anyway.
I went for the direct4x4 as they're local to me and the tent is slightly bigger (on paper) than the tentbox option and it's a good £500 cheaper. I bought mine without the extra roof bars and paid under £1700 for it.

It's also really slim when closed at under 7 inches. The only downside of this ( and the other slimline tents) is that you can't leave too much bedding in there.

Stands up well to the weather.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #885562 14th Feb 2021 9:42pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I went ikamper Skycamp and very pleased with it, just very expensive new, but great size and very easy up and down. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #885568 14th Feb 2021 10:13pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Having just watched the video on the Falcon XL https://roofnest.com/product/falcon-xl/, its definitely the same tent as the Direct4x4 Clamshell https://direct4x4.co.uk/collections/roof-t...roof-tent.

On paper this is bigger than the tentbox cargo in that it is 15cm / 6 inches wider.
Post #885569 14th Feb 2021 10:15pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Tribord wrote:
Out of interest, why does this win over the Tentbox Cargo?

Stupidity; hadn't noticed that Tentbox did one. At the time I started looking I was only looking at front and back opening boxes, not hinged, then saw all the info on Roofnest's Falcon on a US review, and went to their site to check it out and didn't go back to Tentbox.

As Camelman says, they're clearly identical. If the Direct4x4 is also the same, and I have no reason to doubt Camelman' assertion, then which I get (if all do both sizes), will come down to price/availability/delivery/guarantees. Clearly prefer to buy British if the same price. At £1800 Direct4x4 are considerably cheaper than Roofnest and Tentbox. Indeed so much so, for the larger dimensions, I wonder how they can be.

One point Camelman, is that the Roofnest comes in two sizes, standard and XL. The standard, which I was looking at, is the same width as the Tentbox, 50"/127cm. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #885596 15th Feb 2021 9:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>