↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Maggiolina roof tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
A while back I was looking at the TentBox Cargo because it was smaller than others. It meant I could fit it easily within my Brownchurch roof rack (which has sides). The wider XL/142cm is nice, but only allows a couple of mm clearance - quite a risk to take unless you can test it - opening and closing - beforehand.

What put me off in the end was talking to someone at Tentbox. Instead of answering my questions directly they kept giving me all the sales talk and referring me to their instagram photographs. I remember them saying one of the best ways to identify the quality of a roof tent was to look at how the logo was printed. Oh, and all their intrepid/adventurous owners (which at the time seemed to be mostly going away for weekends to campsites). The product may well be very good (the cargo certainly looked good to me on paper, although I have not seen one), but does now look overpriced compared to the Direct4x4 offering.

I thought I had moved on from wanting another roof-tent, but all this talk is making me wonder again! I will be interested in hearing how you get on
Post #885600 15th Feb 2021 8:50am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I originally had a brownchurch rack and can confirm the direct4x4 clamshell won't fit inside, I was going to have to mount it on top of the rack.
In the end I changed the rack for a flatdog rack anyway so it wasn't an issue and it's much more flush to the roof,.

Last edited by camelman on 15th Feb 2021 9:43am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #885603 15th Feb 2021 9:02am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
My getting any roof tent/box will be entirely governed by when Mrs Grenadier agrees she wants to come camping for the first time since she was six. So I'll send you her What's App number and you can give her a gentle shove.

Until then I'm happy to make do with a cot, and Basha set up. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #885604 15th Feb 2021 9:02am
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Camelman, thanks for confirming. Btw, love your zebra, but if you parked in the forests around here, you may be in danger from the half-drunk hunters that roam around, thinking they just spotted their lunch…be careful.

Grenadier, I don’t have a good track record when it comes to my persuasive skills and my wife, so wouldn’t recommend contracting out to me Smile
Post #885611 15th Feb 2021 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12