↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 270 degree awning that can be safely used by one person?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
We have supplied Alu-Cab, Ostrich and Ezi-awn 270 awnings to different clients.

We have looked at many awnings, and supply many budget awnings as well, so I feel that we may comment this thread.

I dare to state that the Alu-Cab is the toughest on the market, closely followed by the Ostrich, the Ezi-awn is the lightest, but also the less robust of the three.

I regularly deploy the Alu-Cab on my own 110, I have left it up all night, but use the legs and guy it in all 3 places, however as Brendan mentioned, use a little CS when deploying.

Both the Ostrich and Ezi-awn are used by members of the Norwegian search & rescue dogs so see a lot of use.

The covers are flimsy on all three, but I have seen a brush deflector for the Alu-Cab.

I am a little biased towards the Alu-cab as its my personal choice, and mounted on our demonstrator however the Ostrich is not a bad choice either.

Alu-Cab have supplied there awning to Avis in South Africa on there rental fleet.

All 3 have side walls available, Alu-cab uses velcro to hold them on, and Ostrich uses zips (my preference).

Dependent on your brand of rack, will also make mounting easy or hard, we use Front Runner and Alu-cab have custom brackets available which bolt on, making it easy.

The Fabric on all three are good, the Alu-Cab is a more silvery / metallic type for reflecting sun.

All 3 need a little help in heavy rain to get rid of excess water (pooling).

A thing to remember is that the zips on all 3 are the weak point, Alu-Cab delivery 3 velcro ties to avoid loading the zips.

We had a trip into the Central Kalahari this year, with people who had never used a 270 awning, and the feed back was good on the speed of deployment, however as they dont camp much they were a little unsure if it would be over budget for their own use.

Alu-Cab
Likes - strong, mounting system
Dislikes - big / heavy - velcro for side tent

Ostrich
Likes - Zips for side walls
Dislikes - mounting system

Ezi-awn
Likes - lightweight - compact
Dislike - not as HD - smaller then the 2 others.

Hope this helps.

Glen

BTW the Alu-cab will be on our new build too.

The Alu-cab deployed just north of Hannover 2016 (sorry large file)

Click image to enlarge

On Avis rental at Kubu Island Botswana 2015

Click image to enlarge

The walls up

"Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #572036 19th Oct 2016 2:39pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Thank you very much for that complete description & summary.

I use the AluCab myself - very happy with it.

First time I actually see the side flaps (your photos)
Post #572054 19th Oct 2016 3:50pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks for the information Glen. Looking at the first picture, the Alu-cab looks smaller than expected. The spec says its 2.6m, but it doesn't appear to overhang the side of the vehicle when pulled flush again the back door. By contrast the Ostrich is 2.4m and does overhang (see pic), the Eezi Awn is only 2.1m and also overhangs. Also given the Alu-Cab has the lightest material (270g) I am surprised it weighs as much as 24kg which is more than the Eezi Awn's 21kg.

Click image to enlarge

2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #572131 19th Oct 2016 9:02pm
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
Does this angle help better ??

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #572174 19th Oct 2016 10:05pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Glen - thank you for that rather comprehensive post!

The Alu-Cab is best part of £1500 and no one is advertising walls, but I can't see that being a particularly affordable option!

All very useful. Thumbs Up
Post #572266 20th Oct 2016 12:38pm
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Hi Cuboard et al,

Vested interest declared outright, as we are the UK distributors for the Ostrich Wing Awning. It's an excellent bit of kit, now on series 3 and built exceptionally tough. Incidentally we also supply the Alu-Cab shadow Awn if required but we do prefer the Ostrich Wing.

Fabric is full 380g ripstop South African canvas, frame is massively over engineered truss aluminium section with a huge hinge structure.

Single handed deployment is 15-30secs no matter what the weather! Same to pack away.

Unit is very strong and capable of handling high winds. It does have 1 integrated drop down leg in case of seriously windy conditions, designed to be used in conjunction with tie down loops on every wing to stop any flapping (not for support).

As the ostrich wing can also be used with its optional walls we offer 2 additional drop down poles which make using the walls easier and more effective.

I have personally used our demo unit for 6 months in some of the worst conditions imaginable (including the torrential storms that hit Bad Kissingen) and had no worries.

Putting your awning away at night is down to you, not necessary but as it only takes 15 secs why not?

Regards,

Dara
Tuff-Trek ® Ltd

Click image to enlarge
Post #572297 20th Oct 2016 2:49pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks Cold n Wet for the diagram. So it appears Alu-Cab awn material is quite tailored to a specific shape.

I agree with LittleFoot that the Ostrich is well made and 'over engineered'. Of all those I've seen its the least likely to need putting away at night!

In sum the considerations are weight, coverage, strength and cost.

I really can't see how the Foxwing has much to offer besides cost. The canvas is surely good, but the tubular arms, the obligatory support poles and the consequential guy ropes make the whole thing a faff!!

My impression is the Eezi Awn offers a good middle road option; Box section aluminium arms, with built in support poles when needed, good quality material and coverage area, not too heavy.

However any awning I buy will inevitably have side walls deployed from time to time. I'd be interested to know how they attach on the Ostrich wing? 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #572321 20th Oct 2016 5:57pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Foxwing is great when you attach it to several Oztents Thumbs Up
Post #572326 20th Oct 2016 6:11pm
diggers1981

2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As most good Awnings come from South Africa, like the Bunduwan anyone would know that the whole point of an awning is to gain the most amount of shade as possible, The Bunduawn covers the bonnet to allow for cooler temperatures inside the vehicle as well as on the outside, also because of this extra covering you get a far greater amount of shaded area underneath, the top of the awning is also aluminiumrized to allow up to 5 degrees cooler temperatures when underneath, The Awning itself is made from ripstop canvas and aluminium and comes in at just 20KG. The whole awning is self supporting and tested in winds up to 50mph, I think the chances of camping in winds over this are quite limited. The whole awning can be set out in less than 30 seconds. The price is just £845 so you are getting double the coverage of most awning for a fraction of the price.
Post #572430 21st Oct 2016 7:57am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Having seen all these awnings in the flesh (and selling Ostrich Wing & Shadow Awn, plus our own affordable range) I think the Ostrich wing has the strongest frame, hinge & materials (conventional heavy duty South African canvas) of any of the existing systems. It's a very simple, almost agriculturally tough piece of kit Smile.

Alu-Cab is a very close second IMHO, & has a lighter duty back plate structure and simple single box section arms (walls are v. modern though and work well) with aluminised fabric. The shape is tailored to work best with their ALU-CAB 110 pop roof conversions (which we also supply) and pick up canopies. It's a more modern interpretation than the Ostrich Wing.

I like COLD N WETS point about the Norwegian Search & Rescue teams! That is a perfect summation of how tough but quick to use these 2 units are....

For UK & European climates (ie. Often poor & changable) we particularly like the option to be able to drop a leg, especially in serious storms. We also really like the option to add walls as & when needed.

Ostrich wing walls attach with heavy duty zislon zips, firstly along the top leading edge of the awning, secondly to one another. Each wall also has rubberised storm strip at the base plus ties downs. If using walls then the optional 2 legs are advised as it stops the walls from flapping in the wind.

Walls are available as either 2.1m drop or 2.4m drop (2.4m is ideal for 90/110):

Single side walls or as wall packs:
Panel with a zip up doorway, 2 x panels with zip up windows (with mosquito netting)
1 x plain/solid panel
1 x Canvas carry bag

All of these awnings have their own benefits , including the ever popular Foxwing but we have our own favourite Smile.

We will be out using ours this weekend if any more pics are needed? Smile

Dara

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #572441 21st Oct 2016 8:51am
MichaelHead

England 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
The TMD bunduwan doesn't have drop down legs which would seem a bit lacking for the wet and windy uk conditions whereas the ostrich wing is tested in conditions of 55 mohplus ( like the alu cab ) . Having seen both at Peterborough the ostrich material is far superior than the bunduwan ( which seems very thin ) , the ostrich also comes with side walls as an option and is easy to set up by one person , having had a good look around the show I would say the ostrich is the best value for money awning .
Post #572522 21st Oct 2016 5:45pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I have only seen an ostrich wing in the flesh once on an indoor offroad show (I wanted to write an indoor outdoor show, but that would have been odd). Even there it was clear that it is a serious bit of kit. I also liked that there's a support pole incorporated in one of the trusses. When closed it is much higher than a fox wing, you might want to check if it doesn't conflict with a wide tent, or your garage if applicable.

Greetings,

Joris
Post #572532 21st Oct 2016 6:36pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hairysteve wrote:
I have the Foxwing and set it up on my own and if it was very windy then I just configure the poles and pegs first and then setup one section at a at a time. Simples Thumbs Up

exactly what i have and do Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #572548 21st Oct 2016 7:37pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have had my foxwing nearly two years now. i use it probably once every 3 weeks May - Oct for min 2 days each time. i really like it and it works for me. tapered sides and the area it covers make it superb as far as i am concerned. its light, easy to fit to the vehicle on your own, waterproof and just works simply and well without complicated mechanisms. its withstood some pretty wet and windy weather too with no problems. At the overland show i looked to see what other options there are now and concluded is i was buying again it would be a Foxwing. in the end we ordered from Germany as they were cheaper than UK. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #572550 21st Oct 2016 7:48pm
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
I have to disagree with Dara, the Alu-Cab is the strongest of the two.

The metal material used on the AC is 2 U sections seam welded together contra the box section, and supports on the Ostrich.

The Big Country ostrich is a good product, but the arms flex more when loaded, then the Alu-Cab.

Seeing both at shows in and around europe and in South africa, plus suppling both Im not in any doubt that the AC is the strongest frame.

The AC comes with 1 leg and 3 web guys as standard, the pegs stowed in the mounts so you never forget them.

The Ostrich has one leg as standard, others can be added at a cost, at least this the case back in 2012 when we supplied the Ostrich to a client.

LPI in Belgium, made some very good brackets earlier to mount the ostrich.

Just to throw even more petrol on the fire, Hannibal have a 270 wing to look at, its called the Spyder and there is a company in Peterborough who supply Hannibal equipment.

After suppling the Ezi-Awn once im not doing it again if it will be used in a similar situation (search & rescue dogs). The aluminium is not structally strong enough in my own opinion.

We and the customer chose this as we couldnt source an Ostrich at the time and the customer wanted a green awning.

At the end of the day, try to get you hands on both at the same time (the trade fairs are a good place) look at materials used on all candidate's see which features apply to you.

The wings are expensive, but its an investment for years to come, and trips to enjoy.

I summerised in an early post what I like, and didnt like with the various awnings.

I havent got hands on the Hannibal version yet so I cant comment on those.

In my wish it would be a combination of both Alu-cab and Big Country awning taking the best of the both.

My advice, no matter what awning you choose, if you think it may be windy, guy it down as the wing acts like a sail boat sail and will produce a lot of force on the mounting points, and could easily produce a stress fracture and break it.

As mention before the awning is a sun shade, but produces a rain shelter, with a sudden down pour you would be suddenly very popular, and attract a lot of new friends, which we did at Bad Kissingen this year.

As mentioned before I choose the AC for my own vehicle, and have to say I am biased towards that product, a little pasionate possibly too.

Im waiting on the walls for the AC to test as I have only seen these in South Africa.

Glen

Hannibal spyder.

Click image to enlarge
Post #572581 21st Oct 2016 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>