Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Overland Set Up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
TC

United Kingdom 
Overland Set Up
TACK wrote:
TC, I use an Army basha (£35) with some bunge cords and some oztent adjustable poles. Connect this to the roof rack with the bunge's and we can put it on either side of the vehicle and alter it to prevent driven rain etc (as per second pic), I have brought another basha to connect to the bottom of the roof tent so I have cover from the front of the vehicle up to the ladder of the roof tent Thumbs Up just an idea, cheap, and takes 5 minutes to put up or down and works a treat and has other uses Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Nice work, this looks like a genuinely viable alternative to a (rather pricey) foxwing, at that price you can afford to get through a few!

My plan is for the Hannibal to mount side on at the front of the cab with tourer kit fitted, and then an awning around the other side and the back (two basha's would do this). The only snag is that I wanted to be able to seal a portion of this for a 3rd sleeping area / enclosed living area......more thinking required me thinks.
Post #51316 6th Jan 2011 10:35am
ti-fat-man

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
tack...i reckon that system looks ace (and somewhat affordable Thumbs Up )

couple of questions please...

1. where do you get the tarp/awning jobbie from?

2. as for the oztent poles, where/how much?

looks good and a somewhat flexible design approach...i like it

btw...all round a nice looking truck/set-up Thumbs Up

al

Embarassed i didnt see the same topic on the other thread, questions still apply though
Post #51397 6th Jan 2011 6:53pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Post #51402 6th Jan 2011 7:07pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Also Brendan will be able to help you out as well....

http://www.4x4overlander.com/products/camping/
Post #51404 6th Jan 2011 7:13pm
driver

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
The Army basha/tarp you can get from any good army surplus store RVOPS is the one I use or from that well known bidding site, expect to pay about £30-35 pounds for a genuine one which are designed to use as a stretcher as well so are very strong, you can get a jungle one which is green but lighter material the size of mine is 3m x 2m from a company called bcb, hope this helps.
Post #51405 6th Jan 2011 7:16pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
ti-fat-man wrote:

2. as for the oztent poles, where/how much?

Chris and TJ of Boab are currently in Morocco leading one of their raids. They are back about 21st Jan.

At the risk of getting into trouble, if anyone wants help getting hold of Oztents give me a shout

Cost off top of head for a pole is £12.50-13 each

Brendan
Post #51410 6th Jan 2011 7:21pm
ti-fat-man

cool...

thats the uprights and crossbar priced up.

wonder if that side awing is one or two sections, is it designed to work the same as tacks
Post #51413 6th Jan 2011 7:24pm
ti-fat-man

guys...

i won't mind some more tips/knowledge, regarding overland set-ups...

pics would be cool Very Happy

cheers al.
Post #51415 6th Jan 2011 7:33pm
TC

United Kingdom 
c'mon chaps........roll up ROLL UP now.... Very Happy

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic4982.html?highlight=
Post #51428 6th Jan 2011 8:10pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
A tarp from decathlon would so the same thing, poles included in it.

or for more flexibility, get a 3M/3M Tatonka tarp and two/three adjustable height poles. Just use carabiners to attach to your rack (fast to put up/take down). All you need then is some nylon cord or 2 mil dyneema (para cord soaks up water and is weak) as guys, use taut line hitches for them and you're away. Absolutely max cost, a hundred quid. You can keep it high to keep sun off in calm conditions, bring it down low and tight when windy and raining, a fantastic bit of kit to mess about with. I'll take a pic of mine and post it next time I use it
Post #51438 6th Jan 2011 8:34pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Just as a comparison. We’ve got a Brownchurch full 3 sided awning that is really fab to use! Its very strong and built to last. Thumbs Up
Also got a porch awning that can sit just about anywhere on the wagon - but we normally have it over the back - cost about £60 and is really easy to put up as its built like an umbrella!
See my gallery for overland set up as a Dormobile and the awnings ... Embarassed
We’re planning some overland trips this summer to Holland Germany Denmark & Sweden as well as our normal ones all over the UK so the awnings will be well used ….. probably in the rain …!!
Laughing Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #51442 6th Jan 2011 8:46pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Al there is no one right way of setting up an overland vehicle.

Your needs might be completely different to the next person. There is a lot of gear on our red 110 we will not recommend to the average traveller.

There is nothing wrong with the gear but since we tend to do long trips as a solo vehicle sometimes in remote areas we have long range fuel tanks, twin winches, rear axle lockers etc. For the average traveller doing a 3/4 week trip in convoy then they do not need that level of equipment. They may want it, they may be able to afford it but do they need it?
Doing a two week tag along tour to Morocco is a lot different to a solo trip across the Simpson Desert

The basic requirement is a mechanically reliable and well maintained vehicle. Sort that one out first and foremost. Remember weight is the enemy of the overland traveller

Find vehicles which have been 'there' and talk to their owners. Check out the experience of the owner. Are they wet behind the ears and just bought a vehicle with all the goodies already bolted on? On forums check out the credentials of people giving advice (Including me!) I come across one guy giving lots of advice. His experience? Zilch! He had done his research Rolling with laughter

When you first start looking at gear at shows leave your cards at home! That way you might not be tempted to rush in and bling your vehicle with gear you don't need. Try and find out the experience of the people on the stands as well (Might be difficult at a busy show, but a bit of prior research??)

Prepping an overland vehicle is a slow evolving project and how you prep it for one trip can be different to the next trip but the basic requirement stays the same. Mechanically reliable vehicle!

Brendan

PS Have I got any experience? Rolling with laughter

Have a look HERE and HERE and you decide
Post #51443 6th Jan 2011 8:48pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The awning we use

Click image to enlarge

Barbara loved the concept from the start. I had my reservations about it. Had more reservations when on a very still day I managed to turn it into a big kite. This was down to my fault in being lazy. Since then have used it in Scandinavia and the UK in very wet and windy conditions (55mph at Manby) Yes it is a great bit of kit as long as you are not lazy deploying it and deploy it properly. Price wise it can not compare with a tarp and a couple of poles However it is much larger and price compares favourably with other commercial awnings especially when you consider the size and shape of it.

HTH
Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #51448 6th Jan 2011 8:57pm
TC

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:

Your needs might be completely different to the next person. There is a lot of gear on our red 110 we will not recommend to the average traveller.

There is nothing wrong with the gear but since we tend to do long trips as a solo vehicle sometimes in remote areas we have long range fuel tanks, twin winches, rear axle lockers etc. For the average traveller doing a 3/4 week trip in convoy then they do not need that level of equipment. They may want it, they may be able to afford it but do they need it?
Doing a two week tag along tour to Morocco is a lot different to a solo trip across the Simpson Desert

The basic requirement is a mechanically reliable and well maintained vehicle. Sort that one out first and foremost. Remember weight is the enemy of the overland traveller

Find vehicles which have been 'there' and talk to their owners. Check out the experience of the owner. Are they wet behind the ears and just bought a vehicle with all the goodies already bolted on? On forums check out the credentials of people giving advice (Including me!) I come across one guy giving lots of advice. His experience? Zilch! He had done his research Rolling with laughter

When you first start looking at gear at shows leave your cards at home! That way you might not be tempted to rush in and bling your vehicle with gear you don't need. Try and find out the experience of the people on the stands as well (Might be difficult at a busy show, but a bit of prior research??)

Prepping an overland vehicle is a slow evolving project and how you prep it for one trip can be different to the next trip but the basic requirement stays the same. Mechanically reliable vehicle!

Brendan

The voice of sanity speaks Thumbs Up
Post #51449 6th Jan 2011 9:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
TC wrote:
leeds wrote:

Brendan

The voice of sanity speaks Thumbs Up

Only problem is there are also some people with lots of experience that also talk complete Censored !!

Most to be fair at land rover shows. Mike
Post #51456 6th Jan 2011 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>