↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4 not starting ..... immobiliser???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 12 <123 45 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
Puma didn't start today, tried twice, it just cranked for a second or two then stopped.
So, let it sit for five minutes and it started first time, been ok since.

No faults codes were logged.
Post #553176 2nd Aug 2016 7:31pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
We could narrow this down a little by doing this.

Next time is happens, remove the key and lock with the remote. Wait for the dash light to stop rapidly flashing then unlock and try. If it starts, it is indicating and immobiliser or security fault. If it still fails to start, do not disconnect the battery, but wait 5 minutes (the time taken for the Engine ECU to hibernate (its actually 90 secs but give it some more time)). Then try again. If it starts then it would point fingers at the ECU, BUT this does not rule out a sensor fault.

Does this happen with both keys or just one?

When starting, do you give enough time for glow plug light to extinguish regardless of engine temp? This will partially eliminate the glow plugs as a source of issue but not completely.

This will assist in aiming in the right direction. Still a ways to go to find the fault. Do you have a multimeter? My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #553207 2nd Aug 2016 8:56pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your input.

My puma does not have any remotes, central locking or alarm sensors. The passive immobilizer is disabled and the red dash light is not in use.

When it doesn't want to start, it only cranks for a couple of seconds then dies, and if I wait for the glow plug light to go out it will not crank at all.

When it wants to start it will fire up immediately without waiting for the glow plugs to heat.

I have a multimeter.
Post #553264 2nd Aug 2016 10:50pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
This narrows it down a lot if I am right by assuming that the immobiliser is not an issue as it is disabled, but please clarify disabled, how? When?

Now we can identify if it is an ECU fault or something else (although is really does sound like an ECU fault but we should eliminate the easy parts first)

Click image to enlarge

Get your multimeter and connect it across the coil of R102. Next time you cannot start it check the voltage across the terminals when the key is in the CRANK position. The ECM willl enable starting by sending C0872-L2 low.

If you get 12v across the terminals then the ECU is enabling the cranking, and the problem is in the starter circuit which is a simple fault to find.

If you get 0v then the ECU is not allowing CRANK and this is a bigger issue which we will need to delve into in more detail. The first look will be to check any inputs to the ECU from Alarm and immobiliser modules (if they are still there),

Lets start from here. To make sure we are looking at the correct diagrams, please post the exact spec and model year of your Defender. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #553272 2nd Aug 2016 11:46pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
I can confirm the key switch is working correctly and it is the ECM that is cutting the earth to the starter relay when it won't start. Also, when I manually operate the starter solenoid it won't start either, so the ECM is also cutting fuel.

I currently suspect the 10as immobiliser signal is not being received by the ECM. I have checked and cleaned the connections on the 10as unit, but they appeared to be in good condition. I still need to remove and open the 10as unit to check for water ingress, but the surrounding area appears to be dusty and dry so have not done this yet.

lorryman100 has explained to me how I can bypass the instrument cluster to eliminate it as the problem, but I need total failure to start again, before I can test this.

It is a Nov 2007 built, farmer spec, 2.4 90 pickup.
Post #553281 3rd Aug 2016 12:15am
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
The day I have been waiting on has arrived ......... puma refused to start today, same as before cranked for a few seconds then stopped.

Installed the shunt and it started first time, removed the shunt and it wouldn't start as above.

Just now need to decide what the final fix is.
Post #553405 3rd Aug 2016 2:23pm
Lorryman100

The symptoms you described pointed to an immobiliser fault and by putting the shunt in now proves this. The issue is with the IPAC and short of replacing it there are other options which I will pm you. Again please keep the details of what you have done off an open forum, never know who is watching.
Post #553436 3rd Aug 2016 4:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
PM rec'd. Thank you! Brian. Thumbs Up

And Many Thanks to all the other members who have offered helpful suggestions and possible solutions Thumbs Up
Post #553473 3rd Aug 2016 7:06pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Have read this with interest, I get intermittent same problem with one I use. Same as video posted to. It had no remote, cdl etc.

What's is 10as so I can check for water, fitting?

Will also check cluster fittings Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #553594 4th Aug 2016 6:55am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
The 10AS is the alarm/immobilser module. It's attached to the bulkhead above your right knee. If you were to put your right hand out straight in front of you and magically through the dash you'd find it. It's about 15cm*15cm and I vaguely remember it being green but it's obviously labelled. If you take the lower speaker out you can see it.
Post #553622 4th Aug 2016 9:25am
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
James ....... If it's the same problem as I had, the first thing you need to check is the starter relay connections and inputs with a multimeter. The key switch supplies the live feed to close the starter relay and the ECM supplies the earth.

On my puma the relay was opening during starting because the ECM was intermittently not receiving the 10as immobiliser signal to allow starting.

Also, another test you can do is to try to bump start it ....... if it starts, its possibly not an immobiliser problem, as the ECM also cuts the fuel if the immobiliser signal is not received AFAIK.
Post #553637 4th Aug 2016 10:51am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
perfect on both, thank you. current issue is she is starting fine... will await the not so fine day! thank you Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #553991 5th Aug 2016 10:58pm
Ben1756

United Kingdom 
I have exactly the same fault.
Post #598103 31st Jan 2017 8:21pm
Ben1756

United Kingdom 
new to this.......I have traced it back to the ipac can anyone advise me how to bypass this to confirm the ipac is 100% at fault??
Post #598106 31st Jan 2017 8:23pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
Is your's a 2.4 without remote locking etc etc?

Any faults logged?
Post #598140 31st Jan 2017 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 12 <123 45 ... 101112>