↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Winches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
leeds wrote:
Rear winch, the solenoid pack is inside the rear door sat on top of the rear wheel box.

Front winch the solenoid is inside the engine bay high up on one of the inner wings.

I run twin Warn 9.5 winches on red 110 using plasma ropes. Carry a 30 metre plasma metre extension line which means have a 60m reach on a single line pull. Never had to use that yet!

Prices on Warn winches has gone up steeply in last few year, however I would advise avoiding el cheapo winches.

Brendan

Just so that I'm clear. Goodwinch (which seem very good value) are deemed acceptable and not "el cheapo", yes? If I get a winch it'll only be for occasional use. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #50710 2nd Jan 2011 3:17pm
discocuzzy

England 
Ken i would avoid the powerplant, both Sonics and Andrews have gone wrong with little use at a very young age.
Your better off putting a anderson connector on a portable vair compressor and running it off the front of your motor.
I have a supawinch and its only rated at 9000lb but its got me out of the soft and smelly everytime ive needed it and that included being away on trips in a fully loaded 110.
Save your pennies my friend, powerplants arnt worth the money. You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #50726 2nd Jan 2011 5:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
My PowerPlants ore OK. Had an issue in the early days with water ingress into the 'sealed' solenoid packs. This has been resolved now and everything was replaced FOC. Also had a problem with corrosion on the head of the compressor, again this was replaced FOC. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #50731 2nd Jan 2011 5:38pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Alan, not el cheap at all. Good value, great productt
Post #50734 2nd Jan 2011 6:19pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I certainly will not put David Bowyer stuff in the el cheapo bracket.

Really mean the winches on ebay for a couple of hundred £.. yes have seen them fail

David Bowyer has a good reputation and gives good advice. The videos on his website are worth watching as well.

On red 110 we have two Warn 9.5. They were bought when the price on Warns were more respectable. Have a Warn 9500 on black 110 but got that as the price was right.

If was in the market now for a winch David Bowyers would probably head the list.

Brendan
Post #50737 2nd Jan 2011 6:41pm
Surrey Rover

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on PTO hydraulic winches like the REd Warrior?

I want a winch for moving around tree limbs and butts. I have heard that the electric ones even the Warns burn out in this situation, any comments on this welcome.
Post #50740 2nd Jan 2011 6:52pm
discocuzzy

England 
Surrey, PTOs are the way forward if your using the vehicle as a real work horse, im guessing your a tree surgeon Thumbs Up

Electric winches are great but if your using them everyday to shift stumps etc, the PTO is far more efective as its driven directly from the engine, most of the utility company defenders are fitted with PTOs for this reason.

Not cheap mind but pretty bomb proof. You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #50753 2nd Jan 2011 7:54pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
alantd wrote:

Just so that I'm clear. Goodwinch (which seem very good value) are deemed acceptable and not "el cheapo", yes? If I get a winch it'll only be for occasional use.

Correct Alan,, For a self recovery winch, to be relied on, for occasional use,, speak to David at Goodwinch, as per the link i did earlier in this thread

I run 8274's at either end of the challenge truck, and best choice for the centre was a TDS,, all are overvolted Very Happy

Surrey Rover,, If you need a winch all day, every day,, its hydraulic or PTO,, Great bunch of chaps at Red winches, very nearly tempted to chance over to their hyd winches, but still retain the TDS as the middle California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #50805 3rd Jan 2011 12:47am
Surrey Rover

Thanks Discocuzzy & TJ,

Looks like I am not going to get much change out of 2K by the time I have added the bumper! Damn these Land Rovers eat your cash Confused
Post #50868 3rd Jan 2011 5:58pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi Surrey,
It would be worth talking to Gigglepin as they should be relatively near to you and I know they have supplied/specced/upgraded winches for several tree surgeon customers. They also stock both Warn and Goodwinch.
Post #50939 3rd Jan 2011 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234