Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Thumbs Up
Post #954368 2nd Jun 2022 6:25am
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Keeping up the momentum... continued harvesting bits off the old chassis to put on the new one, it has left a sad looking grave of the old chassis Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Got the pedal boxes moved over meaning I could then start making up the new brake lines:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then began attacking the wiring loom which I'll need to spend a bit of time tidying up and continuity testing at some point:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then put the exhaust manifolds on and started fiddling with the bracketry for the power steering pump and alternator:

Click image to enlarge

Steadily chipping away at the long to-do list Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #954654 5th Jun 2022 10:04pm
trickster5000

Lot of progress in the last month, getting very close to having it back on the road Very Happy

Keeping it photo heavy and picking up from the last post -

Main wiring loom fed through and showed up in situ:

Click image to enlarge

Dash installed around it:

Click image to enlarge

I took the opportunity to relocate the front speakers to their correct position in the lower dash. Also shown there is the fuel tank with the Bearmach electric pump mounted on a fabricated bracket. Propshafts, handbrake and exhaust also installed here.

The exhaust is a DIY mongrel of bits - RRC headers and downpipes into a Def V8 collector and married up to a 300tdi Def centre box and tailpipe using a few bits of flexi and generic pipe. A lot of faffing but hopefully at least some of the exhaust gas ends up at the tailpipe Very Happy

Next up the rear tub went on after I'd installed the YRM seatbelt repair brackets - very sturdy bits of kit!

Click image to enlarge

More shiny YRM bits to sort out the seatbox - the side panel repairs, a new battery box and a wider aperture flange plate for the R380 tunnel:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All nicely riveted into place and made a tidy repair job.

Continuing on then with the wings and other bulkhead furniture:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Excess galv on the vent flap pin holes on the new bulkhead made that a surprisingly lengthy job!

I then tackled some more engine jobs, sorted out a throttle cable for the carb using a throttle cable for a LHD 300tdi, just the right length Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then came the massive headache of coolant pipework - the top hose I could reuse from the old setup however the bottom hose needed two tee-offs (one for the header tank and the other for the heater matrix return) in a very short distance which took a lot of digging about in boxes of old hoses. All plumbed in to a new full-width V8 rad with the electric fan setup I had on the previous engine. An eternity spent with a multimeter also led to a full complement of working front lights

Click image to enlarge

With an ignition system also rigged up I was now ready for a first time fire up of the rebuilt engine and in need of a big boost - first turn of the key and it was clear something was very wrong - petrol vapour was blowing out of the top of the carb and there was no hint of firing.
Compression testing showed not a lot going on so I figured I got the timing wrong, indeed the cam sprocket can be fitted either way round and I had mistaken a casting feature for a timing mark putting the valve timing out.

Click image to enlarge

Whipped the rocker covers and timing case off, thankfully no damage done, quick correction and it started first time with the happy burble of a V8 Very Happy A very satisfying moment and inspiration to keep pressing on

Then came a load more bodywork faffing, not least because inevitably the doors didn't fit so out came the scissor jack until they did:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also replaced the rotten tub cappings:

Click image to enlarge

More furniture added to the engine bay (washer bottle, power steering, headlight relays etc):

Click image to enlarge

And finally took it out to the field for the first test drive Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Got it up to temperature and tested lots of bits - brakes, high/low ratios, diff lock, steering bump stops, electric fan, hot idle setting etc. Really enjoyed driving it again, even if it was brief and the V8 sound track already making up for all the headaches it has caused in the rebuild.

This post effortlessly skims over the countless hours of hiccups, problems, skinned knuckles and many mutterings of "that's just Land Rover build tolerances", probably making it all look quite easy Rolling with laughter but there probably isn't sufficient bandwidth on the Def2 server to list all the intricacies of a rebuild - tis all good experience Very Happy

Just finishing touches to do now before putting it in for an MOT Shocked Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #959322 23rd Jul 2022 10:01pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Looking bob on there my pal, MOT is always a pain in the arse, but i recon the MOT tester will be like Shocked when he pops that on the ramps! Thumbs Up

i was going to say remove the TDI badges, but leave those one for the sleeper look with the V8 Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #960070 31st Jul 2022 2:47am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Thumbs Up DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #960071 31st Jul 2022 5:48am
trickster5000

MOT passed Very Happy

Couple of bits of advice from the garage on things to sort/neaten up but in general it's a good result Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Now done about 80 miles in it, very much enjoying the lazy V8 driving style. Last night I noticed some oil on the timing cover and flywheel housing, looks like the valley gasket is leaking which I suspect is actually a bigger problem with crankcase pressure on my breather setup as the gasket looks to have a bit of a bulge in it, going to investigate today.

Click image to enlarge

Nice to have it back on the road Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #960087 31st Jul 2022 11:20am
trickster5000

Procta wrote:

i was going to say remove the TDI badges, but leave those one for the sleeper look with the V8 Very Happy

The V8 badges are already on Procta Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #960088 31st Jul 2022 11:22am
trickster5000

Now done around 2000 miles in it, remarkably trouble-free and extremely enjoyable motoring. I'm averaging 18.2mpg on E10 petrol, not too bad really.

Got a few snaps from the summer:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And also one when caught out in a storm Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The valley gasket oil leak was indeed brought on by a crankcase pressure issue, got my breather setup a bit wrong, sorted now but I think it's still leaking a bit when hot so might need to have another go at sealing it at some point

Click image to enlarge

Also changed my needles n jets in the Edelbrock for the correct ones for a 3.5, was running rather rich before although it didn't seem to have much of an effect on MPG.

Click image to enlarge

A good few months of motoring Very Happy Matt.

Post #971432 17th Nov 2022 1:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
That looks a really nice tidy 90. Tyre size suits it perfectly.

Got to love the V8 burble.
Post #971482 17th Nov 2022 7:40pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work, looks amazing, credit to you! Bow down Thumbs Up Cool James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #971501 17th Nov 2022 9:17pm
trickster5000

Been doing some winter-proofing fixes and stuff that never got sorted after the rebuild: Finally got the YRM door bottom seals fitted all round, and sorted the driver's side windscreen demister pipe

Click image to enlarge

Then out for a chrimbo eve cruise through the wolds Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #975660 24th Dec 2022 4:34pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #975687 24th Dec 2022 8:04pm
trickster5000

Exmoor seat re-trim kit and heated seat retro fit day Very Happy

Had the kit lying around for a while but decided to stop procrastinating and get on with it as seat heaters would be handy at the minute. Overall it wasn't as bad to fit as I was expecting, did the retrimming in one day and wired up the heaters the next morning - probably could do it all in one day but would recommend setting aside 2 days to do it slowly and carefully.

Started with the driver's seat base, largely just following Exmoor Trim's very good instruction sheet, not forgetting to stick the heater pads on before putting the new cover on. The covers are a really good fit for the new foams and are very well made.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I found the seat backs to be much more challenging - first bit isn't too bad, starting with the cover inside out using the provided cable ties to fix the cover to the seat frame webbing about a third of the way down, and then work the rest of the cover down, keeping as much tension as possible. Aaaand then pulling half of it back up because you forgot to put the heater pad on Rolling Eyes

The awkward bit (and my fingertips are still sore) is stretching the fabric around the bottom of the seat back to meet up with the other side and clip the sides together. This was very tight indeed but does mean when you finally succeed, the cover is nice and taught with no wrinkles

Click image to enlarge

Bolted the seats back in, much comfier and the fabric is far superior to the awful vinyl in previously.

Click image to enlarge

As for the heated seat wiring - the loom only takes an ignition live and I didn't fancy chugging all that current through the little ignition live source I have at the cubby box presently. So I wired in a relay in the battery box to flick on with ignition but draw the current directly off the battery. The rest of the loom I hid under the cubby box and drilled a hole in either side for the switches. Overall a pretty tidy solution and the seat heaters make a huge difference on cold mornings.

Click image to enlarge

Got a few other interior upgrades in the post but otherwise enjoying some more trouble free miles for now Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #976179 31st Dec 2022 5:18pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver

Click image to enlarge

Just read this from start to finish - what an utter credit to you this is. This picture is just stunning.
May you have many years of fun in it. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #976209 31st Dec 2022 8:14pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I have just read on Landywatch that this Ninety has unfortunately been stolen Banging Head
Very sad, hopefully it is recovered.

Click image to enlarge
 BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #992897 16th May 2023 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>