Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Narrowest Steering Wheel Boss for 2015 MY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Narrowest Steering Wheel Boss for 2015 MY
Hi all
As part of an upgrade/security mod I want to fit a detachable steering wheel (Momo) but want it as close as possible to the original position and am going to buy a "snap off" hub from FCX as these look the narrowest.
I know this has been covered previously as i've searched but am now somewhat confused and am hoping to benefit from some of your experiences if possible please.
Am I right in thinking the Bolt on Bits boss is the narrowest boss to start with ??
I can possibly m/c which ever boss I buy to modify it narrower as has been done in a previous post by Mike_B if needed ??
Has anyone any experience of the Exmoor trim trim boss as this also looks narrow to start with or any other "slim" boss I'm not aware of which they've had good results with ??

Thanks,

Mark
Post #518816 29th Mar 2016 1:09pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Wheel

Can't answer all your questions, but to give you an idea, the Snap Off + FCX Boss added 10mm to the 'projected distance' of my wheel (Startech) from the dashboard binnacle / instrument stalks

Dimensions of Startech Steering Wheel on standard LR Boss

Snap Off + FCX Boss (above clearance dimensions + 10 mm) SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #518840 29th Mar 2016 2:23pm
Edzi

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
After much research, I also went with the Snap Off and leather trimmed boss from FCX. Whilst there are marginally thinner bosses (eg Optimill), they won't work with a removable mechanism and will only attach to the steering wheel. Best check before buying.
Post #518842 29th Mar 2016 2:29pm
nitram17

Re: Narrowest Steering Wheel Boss for 2015 MY
Wheel wrote:
Hi all
As part of an upgrade/security mod I want to fit a detachable steering wheel (Momo) but want it as close as possible to the original position and am going to buy a "snap off" hub from FCX as these look the narrowest.
I know this has been covered previously as i've searched but am now somewhat confused and am hoping to benefit from some of your experiences if possible please.
Am I right in thinking the Bolt on Bits boss is the narrowest boss to start with ??
I can possibly m/c which ever boss I buy to modify it narrower as has been done in a previous post by Mike_B if needed ??
Has anyone any experience of the Exmoor trim trim boss as this also looks narrow to start with or any other "slim" boss I'm not aware of which they've had good results with ??

Thanks,

Mark

unless you MILL one down yourself the slimmest boss combo is from twisted but you have to buy it as a combo with a momo wheel and costs £360 ISH (its impossible to make a boss slimmer than the twisted one unless you incorperare the boss into the steering wheel itself)..........followed by the optomil one ...in both of these you have to file down the central lip of the boss to fit the fcx snap off but this is simple as its ali and it does not affect function! i have the twisted combo and it works great with the snap off fcx sells once i filed down the central lip on the twisted boss which serves no function really!

Last edited by nitram17 on 29th Mar 2016 3:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #518850 29th Mar 2016 2:52pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies Edzi and X4SKP

Do you, or anyone know if the Optimill/TMD boss lip were machined off would the FCX snap off hub fit as it's currently the slimmest boss i've found ??

Thanks,
Mark
Post #518852 29th Mar 2016 3:06pm
nitram17

yes!
Post #518853 29th Mar 2016 3:09pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Cheers Nitram,

Think I just missed your reply.
Machining/filing the lip down is OK and doable so sounds good although i'm waiting on a call from Mitch @ FCX and will discuss

Thanks
Mark
Post #518856 29th Mar 2016 3:15pm
nitram17

Hi ask fcx for the actual dimensions of the boss he sells as from the obove pictures it looks a good 10-15 mm thicker than the optimill boss but when you compare both of these with the others on the market(twisted excluded)they are both very thin.....

I put the twisted boss on when i bought my truck sept2014 and at that point the optimill boss was not on the market and fcx were reluctant to provide me with the dimensions of their boss so i went with the twisted boss combo (costly i know but peace of mind at the time)as you could reach the indicators and the steering wheel was not on your chest .fcx were not selling the snap off at the time ( i think they need to thank gilarion for that business idea)i got mine from murrey sports ltd. Anyway today if thinness is your aim I would fit the optimill boss if not fcx have a great product and you dont have to file down the lip.

On security............ with the snap off you need to find a way to block up the central void of the snap off as if not someone can use a screwdriver to pushed through the locating holes to turn the wheel....either use a lock or make a metal cap to fit( the plastic cap supplied with the snap off gives you a template) the void and glue/ weld in place...i would use security screws on the snap off as well and fill a couple of them with epoxy(yes i know its a pain to remove but how often to you need to take the steering column off)

Good luck with your choice!
Post #518862 29th Mar 2016 3:36pm
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Wandered round Twisteds yard on Saturday and saw their own made quick release boss which looks great actually. Not sure of the costs though!...

Last edited by 5 POT on 4th Apr 2016 11:05am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #520786 4th Apr 2016 11:04am
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black

Click image to enlarge
Post #520787 4th Apr 2016 11:04am
Swac3

Cant find an answer using search but it might have been covered before in some topic but Why is The startech boss so deep, don't manufacturers even measure/consider the fitment of their wheels.

Also been looking online for a concrete post regarding the PCD of the startech wheel but as ever there are conflicting posts, Seems to be 74mm in which case I can buy a 10mm adaptor and one of the thin bosses to get the wheel I really want without loosing any space in my HT which I really don't want to do as its cramped enough as it is with the bulkhead and my Baboon length arms.

Cant really understand why theyre so coy about the details of the PCD other than they want me to buy their own Boss, however I'm not going to and thus wont buy the steering wheel either

Alternatively ill just go for an OMP Velocita 380 in black suede and an optimill boss. 3 Landrovers
Post #520843 4th Apr 2016 1:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1