↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Home Audio Install Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jbk

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Home Audio Install Advice
Hi All, Through the hugely helpful content on this forum, other research and youtube vids I'm thinking of and might have found the confidence to do my own car audio install on my Puma 2.2 Hard Top that arrives next week. The following is the spec that I have already or am thinking of purchasing:

Speakers

- http://caraudiosecurity.com/100ac-10cm-4-coaxial-car-speakers

- http://caraudiosecurity.com/focal-isn-100-...er-4-100mm

HeadUnit

- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-bluetooth-C...B014W9GNMI

Amp & Sub

- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0082DJ...084KD8JNL6

- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004A8P...RYFDOT1WO1

The speakers I've purchased already (a welcome purchase through a forum member here, you know who you are, thank you Thumbs Up). The 6" sub i realise is a bit on the small side, but the box unit it comes in fits well behind cubby and in between seats, as found by many on this forum Sheep . So my thoughts are I'll try to first fit and set up with what feels like a light solution, but one which doesn't involve cutting larger speaker holes, or placing large sub boxes in the load bay. The amp I've chosen I think is overkill, but a) I want a 5 channel so I can run all from 1 amp, and even if i end up upgrading to larger speakers and subs this same amp should do the job fine, b) lower power 5 channel amps didn't seem that much cheaper, c) it seemed like a good price for this amp via this amazon seller. Lastly the headunit that I believe the car comes with with is already set up with bluetooth handsfree and has three pre-outs on it already, so i figure I'll start with this before I get involved in even more £ haemorrhage going down the double din route with nav, rear camera etc etc.

So above are the factors I've considered in making the component choices that I have and I guess I was after a bit of 'validation' or advice from you knowledgable folks before I hit the buy button and commit myself to doing this!!

Secondly I'm now stalking all the youtube videos that I can to try to work out how to best fit this stuff and what additional cabling, connectors etc I need to buy on top of the main components listed above. Can you guys help me out with what materials, lengths and types of cabling, connectors etc, I need to buy to get this stuff fitted and working well?

Thanks [/list]
Post #508961 28th Feb 2016 11:46am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
It will all work, but depends just how extreme you want to go.
I'm currently trunderling around in a courtesy 90 Landmark with standard speakers and the alpine active on the back of the cubby To be honest its not a bad set up, although I would upgrade the fronts, and add dynamat.
My 2.2 hardtop has 5" focal K power upfront, 5" focal performance in the rear an a Focal Ibus2.1 amping the fronts, which I find is plenty good enough.
I have herd the 6" JL sub, and its good, just not sure it merits the cost of an additional amp as well though. That amp is good, and better to go bigger and turn down the gain, than max an amp out.

Click image to enlarge

My Td5 is overkill Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Wiring wise if you go 5 channel mounted to the bulk head behind passenger seat you'll want 3 x 3.6 RCA cables and some heaver gauge wire for the power and earth, as well as an inline fuse.
Post #508991 28th Feb 2016 1:49pm
jbk

Thanks for the reply Barbel Jim, in researching and thinking about this audio set up I've read a fair few of your posts on the subject and the audio builds in your cars. Your cars audio set ups look great I'm sure sound great and hopefully will be where I get my car to.

I get the impression that the 10cm speakers front and rear are almost certainly going to feel a bit lacking, but as I have them already I'll at least give them a go and see what i think. It's all a matter of where you compromise I guess, in sound system quality and volume, cutting into panels or not and losing load space with sub boxes or not.

When you say 3 x 3.6 RCA cables, i presume you mean 3 sets of 3.6meter long RCA cables?

Thanks again for the advice.
Post #509278 29th Feb 2016 3:18pm
barbel jim

When you say 3 x 3.6 RCA cables, i presume you mean 3 sets of 3.6meter long RCA cables?
Thumbs Up

They will be a tad longer than needed but it will give you a bit of flexibility. My first mod would be dynamat to the rear tub and sides. Being a HT the bare wheel boxes are noisy. I used 2 bulk kits from Simon at MPS. It will cut out some of the vibration, and tinnyness Whistle 4"speakers properly amped should be fine, me putting 5"s in my puma was more to prove you could although they do tend to have a slightly wider sound stage.
Standard speakers are cheap and nasty and won't last long at higher volumes. The cone material and drivers varies the costs! Spot the difference Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
Post #509363 29th Feb 2016 9:03pm
jbk

Full sound proofing with dynamat or equivalent plus a CCF + MLV product planned for sure. Just still in the middle of weird feelings about covering all this lovely paint up with super sticky sound deadening!!:

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Post #509365 29th Feb 2016 9:18pm
barbel jim

You'll only scratch it Laughing
Post #509366 29th Feb 2016 9:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Perfect paint, perfectly clean to add the Dynamat to.

Easy work, less cleaning. Thumbs Up
Post #509375 29th Feb 2016 9:35pm
jbk

Bare fresh paint, hmmmm, I want to polish and shine it, gunk up in irremovable sticky soundproofing, ouch Shocked !!

Weird detailing OCD, guilty Whistle

Wrong car for OCD'er perhaps, yes, maybe, but yes, but no!

Thumbs Up
Post #509424 29th Feb 2016 11:13pm
barbel jim

So as you have no bulkhead, where are you thinking of putting the amp ??
Post #509742 1st Mar 2016 9:37pm
jbk

Ha ha, yeah bl**dy good point BarbelJim!! Smile

I've figured that i'll somehow fabricate it into the under seat box or somehow site it on the floor underneath the cubby then build a plinth/box for the cubby to be remounted on top of it, perhaps with some hinge type affair.

But amateur point a) is that I've not actually taken measurements on either locations and as i don't actually have the car yet (pick it up in, err, 12hrs and 14 minutes time Wink) I can't measure up, so I'm just hoping the amp will fit in one of these two locations. and b) I think, but haven't fully researched, that a class D amp such as the one in my outlined spec will not give off too much heat, so it should be ok in an enclosed environment such as the two in mind.

Are my above ideas majorly floored I wonder!? Whistle Laughing
Post #509747 1st Mar 2016 9:46pm
barbel jim

Under the chubby should work. Off the top of my head Roughly 240mm wide and 360 long. Digital amps don't give of the heat like others. I'm sure someone else put a 5 Chanel in the seat box. Give me a mo
Post #509757 1st Mar 2016 9:55pm
barbel jim

Post #509764 1st Mar 2016 10:02pm
jbk

Hmm, well linked BarbelJim and very nice set up Barney12 Thumbs Up

I too have had conflicting advice re the rears, some say don't bother at all with rears you want the sound in front of you and some think rears are important as Barney12 seems to. Hmm 'chin scratching emoji'.
Post #510152 2nd Mar 2016 10:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1