↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Defenders in Japan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Defenders in Japan
I wonder why JLR did not officially import it if it's so easy for others to do?

Click image to enlarge

"New Land Rover Defenders can be bought in Japan as easily as rice balls. On Friday, the last of the Land Rover Defenders rolled off the line at the company’s Solihull factory in West Midlands, UK, after a life that was – by a few months – even longer than mine. People the world over may bemoan the passing of the Landie, but I was offered a brand new one just two weeks ago at the Tokyo Auto Salon. Contradicting Ford’s constant claims that Japan is a closed market for imported cars, Japan is wide open to new Defenders. Across the Pacific, America is shut airtight, while border guards defend the country’s borders against illicit Defenders.

According to data provided by the Japan Automobile Importers Association, 3,225 Land Rovers were brought into Japan last year, double the number of Jaguars by Tata-owned Jaguar Land Rover. Not all of the cars are imported by JLR itself. “The Defender is not on our import program,” tells me Magnus Hansson, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover Japan Ltd. “It is brought in by independent importers. They source their right hand drive Defenders in the U.K., and if you know what you are doing, bringing the cars into Japan is easy. A little paperwork, that’s it.”

Hannson said that JLR decided against bringing the Defender to Japan due to a number of detailed requirements. “Otherwise we would obviously still have offered this wonderful icon. But for small private brokers it’s not so complicated.”

One of these small private importers serving the various niches of the flourishing Japanese market for imported cars is Auto Motive Design Co Ltd in the port city of Sendai in northern Japan. The company sells the cars under the “British Label” moniker, it has its own parts import company, and it serves the niche of niches by importing Nissan’s NV400 panel van from Europe, because Yokohama-based Nissan doesn’t. The decked-out Defender I saw at the Auto Salon would set me back 8 million yen ($66,000) I was told at the show. A rich list of options could leave me a little poorer. Whether you desire a Defender 90, or the slightly more leg-friendly longer wheelbase 110, they are readily available, brand new in Japan."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/...0d79f16acc

I wonder if this guy got his?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic27431.html?highlight=japan

Thought they had modified the traction control:

but it's actually a an automatic payment device for the toll roads in Japan!
Post #498975 1st Feb 2016 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1