↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Update
I paid a visit to the fabricators yesterday as it was the first chance I had had for some time. I have extended the scope of the fabricator once again because of my work schedule and it makes it easier and is more logical for him to complete some of the works rather than me having to do a lot of running around and getting it done locally.

First thing - seeing it in person made me realise just how big it was going to be. Apparently us guys really just cannot tell how big or small things are, and when Wifey doll made me stick a 3D bloke next to my mockups, it sort of hit home that I may have over proportioned some aspects of the trailer. Anyway, bigger is better in my book, and I still like the look of it.

The extended works are now as follows...

Discs machined and new pads installed.
Fabricate aluminium storage box on the front of the trailer (see pic at bottom)
Paint entire chassis in Hammerite smooth.
Install reverse locking solenoid.
Add rock guard to forward bottom part of the gas tank
Replace shock absorbers for new (easy job I know but even easier with no base on top of the chassis)

We had to adjust the placement of the gas tank, and this has to be lowered a little as the dimensions of the tank were not as the website stated! Originally it was to sit with the tank flush with the top of the chassis rail, but the length of it forced us to drop it as it would not fit between the rails.

Click image to enlarge

You can also see in this picture that the rear legs have been installed on the inner rails with some extension pieces to ensure the feet sit flush with the new outer tread plates. This was the better of the two options where the other would have the legs operated from the rear and would have risked fouling the gas tank.

The water tank is installed in such a way, and with mounts that are removable, to allow the entire tank to be removed quickly when the trailer is on jacks. This will aid in the annual disinfecting and hygiene requirements of a stored water system.

Click image to enlarge

The brakes were challenging as the handbrake cable was not long enough with the extension of the chassis. The fabricator made up some new fittings and tubing for the hydraulics (that was easy enough) but the actual handbrake cables and cable mounting points had to be modified to ensure the handbrake was fully functional.

Click image to enlarge

I had a huge delivery last week of about 40 parts from a new gas stove to two leisure batteries to a solar panel and battery charger, so things are getting cramped in my garage right now. I am expecting the trailer back in about 3 weeks from now, so the next jobs for me are as follows...

Send drawings to joiner so the wood can be cut for the sides. The two sections of the roof will be manufactured by the local carpenter to save me the time.
Resize/redesign the side boxes to be not as high or as long. The proportional design of these right now does not make the trailer look so nice, and we can get away with smaller ones anyway.

Click image to enlarge

More to come.... My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #538395 7th Jun 2016 11:47pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
That's going to look great when done

Nice work
Post #538430 8th Jun 2016 8:12am
xpertoftheseas

The future is black.....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next... water and gas piping. . My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #538803 9th Jun 2016 11:25am
BossHog

England 
Taking shape now, looking good 👍. Think that blue fridge is a bit to big though !!!
Post #538827 9th Jun 2016 1:23pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Rather than a roof rack for your kayaks, have you considered roof bars? Cheaper, lighter, easier to add and remove by yourself.

Or if you really want a rack I've got one for sale Laughing
Post #538833 9th Jun 2016 2:08pm
xpertoftheseas

Too big? I bet that fridge starts shaking when it finds out my kids are camping with it..... Rolling with laughter

Thanks for the offer of the roof bars. However there are already roof bars on the 110, and I think the idea of taking bikes has waned slightly so I am hoping I will not have to get any for the trailer. However, all this could change again between now and late August Very Happy My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #539965 14th Jun 2016 12:37am
Bert@E

Netherlands 
Looks like a lot of work!! Good luck
Post #541583 19th Jun 2016 7:15pm
Mac22

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Re: Struggling to find suitable extrusions
xpertoftheseas wrote:
Can anybody advise me on where to get suitable aluminium extrusions etc? Struggling to find a vendor who has various angles and extrusions to hold 11mm or 14mm GRP board.

Anybody?

http://eltherington.co.uk/aluminium.html

Thumbs Up
Post #546731 6th Jul 2016 11:51pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Looking good bud. Your DRG doesn't look to different in size to others out there.

I would look at getting a wing extension fuel tank that will be roughly extra 40 / 50 ltrs then you can get side tanks which mount on the side of the chassis.

Out of interest how do you plan on filling your water tank as some places I've been you can only use containers eg 20-40ltrs rather than drive up and fill up.

Could you put the kayak on the trailer??
Post #546786 7th Jul 2016 10:28am
xpertoftheseas

The extended fuel tanks is a good idea. If I can get another 50ltrs this will do me well in the mountains. What I have found at the moment is the trailer is quite nose heavy, so I need to see if I can mount some small tanks around the anti-roll bar area on each side, as this will help balance the trim. However it is too early to see how the final product will be balanced.

The kayaks I need on the roof of the Defender as these we use all the time when we are away and if they were on the trailer I would have to tow the trailer everywhere. Considering this is a camping trailer this unfortunately is not an option. The 110 is the right length for them and the roof bars I have on it are perfect.

The water thing is a good point, and I am going on my past experiences where we were camping only with tents. For the most part, most camp sites have a tap in a field you can use, but yes there are times where the taps have been around the back of a building (toilet block etc) and the only way is with a jerry can of one of those roller barrels I have seen. My solution is a long enough hose (maybe 20m worth) which should solve most of the access issues, but if push comes to shove, multiple trips with 10ltr container and a funnel will have to do.

Sorry about the lack of pictures and updates, work is taking the priority right now. However the fabricator in installing the base and vertical panels, and I am picking it up next Monday. After this I will be able to update regularly (which I need to do as August is not far away!!) My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #547680 10th Jul 2016 11:01pm
xpertoftheseas

Update
It is now full speed with the trailer build. For numerous reasons, I have not yet had the trailer back fromn the fabricators, however they are completing a majority of the structural parts and installing the panels for the body.

I have been flat out for two weekends no making the shelves for the food prep table, fridge and storage box (all on extendable runners)....

Click image to enlarge

.. and also the side boxes which I redesigned to be smaller..

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow I should be able to cut out the doors and install the hinges and locks.

The trailer (I am promised) will be arriving back on Monday, so the priorities now are in this order..

- Road lights and associated wiring. I am using the Sankey lights with LED bulbs, and adding running lights (White, Red and Amber) on the associated parts of the trailer. Plus a high level brake light.
- Gas System. Run the HP line to to the filler, add the regulator and run LP line to the gas manifold. Run the LP lines to the cooker area, external BBQ hook up and the air heater. Pressure test and partially fill.
- Water system. Mount pump and tap, and pipe it all up.
- Build battery enclosure and start wiring up the 12v side.

This is, of course, after the structural parts are all completed and it is ready for painting.

10 days to do.... I think I am going to be busy right up until departure for hols. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #552479 30th Jul 2016 10:16pm
tyrannosauROSS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Great thread.... I eagerly await more updates, photos and analysis after your first big trip...

Keep up the good work!

Are you keeping full track of how much you are in for? It will be interesting to know how far away from those £8000-£14000 mark you are.

In my experience it is often the case that custom building anything rarely costs less than just buying something similar... but what you get in return is either of a higher quality, or perfect for your needs and no compromise is necessary.

Good luck... I'm jealous!

Im a big fan of this....
Post #552528 31st Jul 2016 6:51am
xpertoftheseas

Its funny. The Patriot X2 was the first I looked at as it did tick all the boxes for what I was looking for and a little more in fact. It is by all means one of the best and came out top in my comparison with many. However, it is by far one of the most expensive camping trailers out there. I never got the chance to go and see one in the flesh so to speak, so I cannot comment on the build quality so I am hoping that the high price reflects the level of material and build standards.

So far, I am in to this project around £5k, and I do not think it will go too much higher than this (depending on the paint job). I have a full breakdown of the costs which I will publish after the project is completed so everyone can see what is needed. One thing I grossly underestimated was the ancillary items such as screws, bolts, clips, woods and tooling which adds up considerably. I consider my time in this project to be therapy for my normal job so no charge for my labour Laughing . One thing to note also is that I am working on the assumption that what I build now will be continually modified in the coming years to iron out the flaws and also to increase its potential, so there will undoubtedly be more costs involved in the future.

Just heading to the garage now to complete the side boxes. Will post more photos whenever I remember to take them. Thanks for the support. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #552564 31st Jul 2016 10:23am
tyrannosauROSS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Wow... if you end up at £5K you've nailed it!!!!

Yeah the Patriot is nice but not even I could convince the boss that $35,000 AUS was good value!

I like the look of yours in CAD though... will be very interested in what its like to use/ live with.

Out of curiosity, how are you joining all the panels and making it watertight at the corners? do you have some fancy extrusions? I see how you are joining one panel to the other when they are perpendicular with your 50x50 90 degree aluminium angle, but Ive always wondered how "the pro's" do it? I have never really looked.

Have fun!
Ross
Post #552571 31st Jul 2016 11:04am
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Looking good bud, Just one thing ref the LED lights. They wont be road legal if you fit LED bulbs in them as they are for offroad use only. I would look at buying the WIPAC LED units either NAS spec or original 73mm size. Im not sure how LED indicators would work with your trailer warning light that would be something to look up on as doubt there would be the current draw to set them off. One final thing encase you was not aware the reflective triangles on Sankeys are also not road legal and need to be replaced. The MOD has a lot of exceptions on stuff as what would be great on the public highway would be not so great in a battle zone Cool

Cant belive 5k ive spent more than that on my 110 and that was ok and 3k to start with lol
Post #552590 31st Jul 2016 1:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>